TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S maintenance

Discussion in 'Model S' started by srram, Jul 1, 2012.

1. srram

srram Member

Does anyone know what 'regular maintenance' means for the S? I asked at the showroom in Menlo Park, and the answer I got was very vague (' you come in for software upgrades').

What other maintenance applies to the S? Tire rotation, adjustments, software upgrades.. Also, any ideas on how much associated costs are?

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The Roadster has a required annual maintenance of $600. There is only speculation about what the Model S will be. It's been bandied about that most of the Model S service will happen over WiFi in the form of software upgrades similar to an iPhone. It's also been speculated that the annual service cost will be less than the Roadster. So far there has been no official statement.

3. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Just noticed this post on the parallel thread over on the TM forums:

Annual Maintenance Costs | Forums | Tesla Motors

4. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

We can expect to have to do at least the following on our Teslas yearly or more often:
    - annual safety inspection (required by law); any inspection shop can do this
    - Tire rotation, balancing, and inflation (and occasional tire replacement); any tire shop can do this
    - Replacement of windshield wiper fluid; you can do this

I presume that the software can be upgraded when we wish it to be upgraded and not before. If it's a "recall" issue they'll have to upgrade it for free, obviously.
    I certainly hope that the official "annual service" cost is far less than $600, as $600 wipes out most of the financial benefits of an electric car except for very heavy drivers.

We can expect at least the following on a longer-term basis, mostly after the warranty ends:
    - Replacement of windshield wiper blades; you can do this
    - Replacement of the standard automotive lead-acid battery used as a "buffer" for the accessories, every 5 years at LEAST; probably any shop can do this
    - Replacement of brake pads; any shop can do this
    - Replacement of air filters (don't get me started on this... really, just don't...) -- guessing only Tesla can do this, right now
    - Checking the active air suspension for leaks and repairing/replacing it -- expensive and certainly only Tesla can do this, right now
    - Replacing rubber gaskets and seals as the rubber wears out due to age (thankfully fewer than in an ICE, but it's still got them) -- likely only Tesla can do this, right now

5. DriverOne

DriverOne Member

I should hope $600 is not the annual price. That makes the car $50,000 + $600/year, and certainly removes one of the big tenets of the EV sale - low ongoing maintenance.

6. chmod a+wrx

chmod a+wrx Member

Yes.....not sure why they are holding on to this dollar amount....especially given that we're into the 5000s now of people locking in their orders without knowing the full disclosure.....

I know maintenance of luxury/premium sedans is expensive.....but in 6 years of owning my car....I change the oil 2-3 times per year and haven't had a single maintenance issue....other than rotating the tires, which I have done a couple of times.....not much to maintain....

EDIT: sorry.....blades and one new battery....

7. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

Are wiper blades covered under warranty? Or do you only replace your wiper blades every 4 years?????

8. contaygious

contaygious Active Member

9. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

I only replace them every two years or so. They don't burn out that fast.

10. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Call me a nitpick, but shouldn't that be 24/7/52? Or 24/365?

11. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

You're a nitpick who is also correct. :smile:

12. zdre

zdre 40kWh Model S P6415

Do the service centers actually never close?

13. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

24/7 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Being in the service industry, I find it common to see it written this way.

14. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Drove by the Toronto service center on Sunday, and it was closed.

15. scole04

scole04 Member

Need confirmation. Test drived the Model S in DC. 5 employees including the manager told me that the first 4 years of maintenance is covered free of charge under the warranty agreement.

16. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

No official word on that. But, if Tesla wants to stay on par with the BMWs of the world, then, it might happen.