Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S manually tilted screen - fixed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've just finished tilting the screen on my 2021 MS longrange manually.

A few pictures are attached and when I have more time I'll write up some step by step directions how do go about this.

It took me about two hours to figure this out but I guess it would only take about 45 minutes now to modify the tilt angle if I wanted to change it.

The screen now is at a comfortable reach, even on the far right.

More later...

20220515_185955.jpg
20220515_185746.jpg
20220515_181114.jpg
20220515_181105.jpg
20220515_181100.jpg

Great document! Exactly my thought, to adjust the clamping force of the t40's so the screen can be articulated by hand yet stays in place.
Btw, mine is not 100% secure. It can be lifted slightly after all bolts are tight. Maybe an 8th of an inch. I'll dive back into that later and find out why.
Great idea using a drill chuck!

Looks good! I’m not bold enough yet to try it 😂

Btw, someone posted this on here. Just so you don’t do a ton of extra work @SWSPB

Thanks for the link! It's a bit scary handling the screen but the whole thing is pretty straight forward otherwise. Just watch where you lay down the screen. You can move the gear by hand if you open the small gear boxes, just don't over-torque the screws when reassembling them. Using the drill is a brilliant workaround to that.

Great document! Exactly my thought, to adjust the clamping force of the t40's so the screen can be articulated by hand yet stays in place.
Btw, mine is not 100% secure. It can be lifted slightly after all bolts are tight. Maybe an 8th of an inch. I'll dive back into that later and find out why.
Great idea using a drill chuck!
I am guessing that you don't have the two retaining bolts that you dropped tightened back into place. Mine is rock solid. Also, they are tricky to see. Make sure that you didn't miss the hole and that one side is not floating. Just some thoughts based on having been in there !

Reactions: jebinc and SWSPB
I am guessing that you don't have the two retaining bolts that you dropped tightened back into place. Mine is rock solid. Also, they are tricky to see. Make sure that you didn't miss the hole and that one side is not floating. Just some thoughts based on having been in there !
Thanks for the feedback. Glad yours is solid so there is hope! I've rushed the assembly somewhat. This weekend I'll take it back apart and have another look to see what can be improved. I'll let you know if I figure out how to make it movable yet stable for use.

My end of March X doesn't have exactly the same articulation frame. It's missing the v-guide cutout. Either mine was part of an incompletely machined batch since swivel feature not supported, or the X design is completely different, or I have a newer design that doesn't use the channel.

20220505_165730-jpg.801008

The channel was designed to have a roller pin running in it to keep the geometry even while the screen went in and out. That pin was not installed and I just ran the right side out with a drill and it was still aligned down the V channel so I suspect it was determined to be not required.

Thanks for the feedback. Glad yours is solid so there is hope! I've rushed the assembly somewhat. This weekend I'll take it back apart and have another look to see what can be improved. I'll let you know if I figure out how to make it movable yet stable for use.
Partial success!

-Take the worm drive assembly out
-Detach the two brackets (t45) and 10mm bolt at the screen
-Use 2 M8 nylon washers at the 10mm bolt as spacers and one large m16 at top to control the friction (each side)
-Only hand tighten the t45s to adjust the friction to your liking. This takes some trial and error. Secure the t45 head with a drop of superglue once you are happy with the result and/or some red loctite on the thread as they will come lose otherwise
-The 10mm bolt can be quite tight.
-I've rounded the head of a bolt for the v-chanel and secured it on the back with a nut. That guide pin/roller is necessary I believe.
-re-asemble

Something is still binding on the right side when trying to push the screen all the way in to the 'home' position but I ran out of time to take it back apart. I had it working before but didn't install the shroud behind the screen at that time. After installing the shroud it started to bind. Must be that...I'll find out.

It works well enough for now. Time will tell how things hold up. It swivels out far enough for the shroud not to cover the backside gap.

Attachments

• 20220619_181848.jpg
    20220619_181848.jpg
    351.4 KB · Views: 125
  • 20220619_164558.jpg
    20220619_164558.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 132
  • 20220619_164438.jpg
    20220619_164438.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 128
  • 20220619_164436.jpg
    20220619_164436.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 116
  • 20220619_161239.jpg
    20220619_161239.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 125
  • 20220619_161157.jpg
    20220619_161157.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 127
  • 20220619_161146.jpg
    20220619_161146.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 130
  • 20220619_155714.jpg
    20220619_155714.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 133
Reactions: Proppilot
Thanks to all on this thread for all the good info. I made my Aug 21 refresh S LR manually adjust back and forth. It isn't perfect as I didn't use any special vinyl washers or anything,so it's not very rigid, but it's a start. Hoping for some aftermarket kits in the near future. Shout out to SWSPB for all the tutorials and comments to help me through the adventure.

Reactions: jebinc and SWSPB
Thanks to all on this thread for all the good info. I made my Aug 21 refresh S LR manually adjust back and forth. It isn't perfect as I didn't use any special vinyl washers or anything,so it's not very rigid, but it's a start. Hoping for some aftermarket kits in the near future. Shout out to SWSPB for all the tutorials and comments to help me through the adventure.
Glad I could be of help. I still haven't worked out why mine won't push in all the way on the right after I've installed the screen for a second time. At the first time I put it in it worked flawlessly but I forgot to put the plastic shroud on...maybe it is the culprit but the resistance is a hard metal to metal stop.
I'll post any progress on that...just didn't have time to mess with it yet.

Do you think there is any way for me to manually adjust the screen in my Plaid with a manufacturing date of June, 2021?

Reactions: Great White