Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S manually tilted screen - fixed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Partial success!

-Take the worm drive assembly out
-Detach the two brackets (t45) and 10mm bolt at the screen
-Use 2 M8 nylon washers at the 10mm bolt as spacers and one large m16 at top to control the friction (each side)
-Only hand tighten the t45s to adjust the friction to your liking. This takes some trial and error. Secure the t45 head with a drop of superglue once you are happy with the result and/or some red loctite on the thread as they will come lose otherwise
-The 10mm bolt can be quite tight.
-I've rounded the head of a bolt for the v-chanel and secured it on the back with a nut. That guide pin/roller is necessary I believe.
-re-asemble

Something is still binding on the right side when trying to push the screen all the way in to the 'home' position but I ran out of time to take it back apart. I had it working before but didn't install the shroud behind the screen at that time. After installing the shroud it started to bind. Must be that...I'll find out.

It works well enough for now. Time will tell how things hold up. It swivels out far enough for the shroud not to cover the backside gap.
How is this working, a year later? Do you have a video showing the articulation?

It's still working well. Just a tick looser but the screen still stays in place just fine. I drove an updated Model S with the articulation motors working a few weeks back and found that the tilt angle is way less than this manual approach...by about 20% I'd guess.
You can measure if you'd like. My factory electronic swivel is a little over 3" from the soft-touch black material of the dash to the front of the glass. How far is it with the manual adjustment, as far as you have it?

@jebinc

1683159769139.png

You can measure if you'd like. My factory electronic swivel is a little over 3" from the soft-touch black material of the dash to the front of the glass. How far is it with the manual adjustment, as far as you have it?

@jebinc

View attachment 934350
I set mine to 3”, but believe it had more in it, if I had wanted it. Someday, I might try adding another inch.

Reactions: WilliamG

@jebinc
A tad over 4 inches. Sitting normal I can reach the right side comfortably. The shroud on the back is not deep enough though to cover the gap however but I rather have a convenient reach.

Attachments

• 20230504_084615.jpg
    20230504_084615.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 35
  • 20230504_084500.jpg
    20230504_084500.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 56
  • Informative
Reactions: WilliamG and jebinc
I did not realize that the entire electric tilt mechanism is available from Tesla for 90 dollars so I am picking one up today. I head read a thread somewhere about the code that needs to be enabled in the car to make the control button appear. Has anyone seen that ? If it is not practical or feasible, there is a small plate just above the phone chargers that easily removed and I will install two rocker switches there and tap into power to drive it manually and the switches will be invisible. Not plan A bit a good plan B

I did not realize that the entire electric tilt mechanism is available from Tesla for 90 dollars so I am picking one up today. I head read a thread somewhere about the code that needs to be enabled in the car to make the control button appear. Has anyone seen that ? If it is not practical or feasible, there is a small plate just above the phone chargers that easily removed and I will install two rocker switches there and tap into power to drive it manually and the switches will be invisible. Not plan A bit a good plan B
If you make it work, I’m driving over to Cambridge :)

Reactions: jebinc
Picked up the unit today. It is a completely different motor/gearbox configuration than came with my car however I believe the hard points (mounting points) will be identical so I expect it to be plug and play. For $ 115 bucks (and that's Canadian ! so $ 90 US) I cannot resist. I am not such a purist that I need it to work from the OEM touch buttons as I think that solution is not out in the public domain so my plan is the two rocker switches. I will photo/document the project as I did when I originally used a drill to drive the shafts to extend my screen over a year ago. I think with the parts now being available and cheap that the manual/electric solution is doable and viable. More to follow. I am on it !

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Picked up the unit today. It is a completely different motor/gearbox configuration than came with my car however I believe the hard points (mounting points) will be identical so I expect it to be plug and play. For $ 115 bucks (and that's Canadian ! so $ 90 US) I cannot resist. I am not such a purist that I need it to work from the OEM touch buttons as I think that solution is not out in the public domain so my plan is the two rocker switches. I will photo/document the project as I did when I originally used a drill to drive the shafts to extend my screen over a year ago. I think with the parts now being available and cheap that the manual/electric solution is doable and viable. More to follow. I am on it !
So, the two motors are included in that assembly for that price? My 2021 Plaid had the movable mount, but not the motors, so I couldn’t do a rocket switch setup.

Is there a part number for the assembly?