Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S manually tilted screen - fixed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, so I sent a message via the app to schedule a mobile ranger, w/laptop service visit - to flip the UI toggle, per the information you provided above. It will be interesting to see how they respond to that request tomorrow!
Can pretty much guarantee they won’t do it. I feel like, for liability reasons, there’s no way they’ll do it unless they themselves do the entire retrofit.

Reactions: jebinc
When and however it happens I’m all in when Tesla will make it happen. Of course within monetary limitations. I do really want the tilted screen, 3 to 4 inches.
Even having the manual tilt is refreshing improvement. After doing it once, I know this can be done in 30 minutes or less.

IMG_7378.jpeg

IMG_7377.jpeg

Can pretty much guarantee they won’t do it. I feel like, for liability reasons, there’s no way they’ll do it unless they themselves do the entire retrofit.
Confirmed - They won’t do it. But they did put a request into Engineering for a retrofit kit… what a joke. They told me the same two year’s ago, re the front end vibration. It’s their “go to” line to push customers’ off into oblivion.

The problem with the video is that it takes longer to edit it than to do the job :cool: It is really quite un-dramatic with only a few connectors and bolts to remove. I cannot see how one could break anything (just have a nice thick towel to lay the screen down on its face) and then you have full access to do the tasks.
Get a screen protector before you start. Reduce the risk a bit.

Reactions: Laddcruzer
Already installed on Day one. I emailed the GM of my SC with the request and he copied in their top two techs into the request. Awaiting a response.
I was told, “If the parts are not available in the “Shop” as a retrofit, we will/can not do anything, configuration wise”. Not even if you purchased the parts from the parts department, via the app.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
I suspect that will be the outcome and I am quite happy to do the two toggle route as well for the few if ever times one adjusts the screen.
I decide to just leave mine facing the driver in the manual position. Why give Tesla more money for something they advertised our cars having when we ordered them. How often would I tilt it toward the passenger or flat anyways. Like never. Best of luck!

Update : I completed the mod but don't have enough time to pull off the screen and swap out the bracket. I am not bothering (yet) with the integrated (OEM) control of the screen as there is almost nothing on what is needed to program the car. As with the rest of you, my SC did not even bother to respond BUT the mod I am doing leaves the original wiring harness intact and all I would need to replace is the service panel cover where I mounted the rocker switch (sits above the charging tray and pops off easily / houses the ambient air temperature sensor intake unit). The positioning of the rockers (they are larger as they are DPDT momentary / centre-OFF) but I got them in and they look (I think) great and impossible to see once the panel is installed. One rocker is for the left screen tilt out/back and the other for the right screen tilt out/back. For pilots, like a couple of 'pickle switches'.

It works perfectly. I noticed on the motor connectors and the car connectors that there are four wires. Two (larger pins) are for running the motors and I suspect the other two are voltage feedback that the motors are actually running or may even be a pulse-counter so the car knows to run it out and back so many pulse/revolutions. I made two new connectors that plug into the motors (thus leaving the OEM harness intact) and can provide part numbers from AMAZON for the rocker switches and the connectors for the motor that I used (but they need some minor modification to fit over the pins of the motors)..... I will write it up more formally next weekend when I finish the job and overall, I am really happy with it so far and it will do the job.

Attachments

• IMG_1630.JPG
    IMG_1630.JPG
    322.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1633.JPG
    IMG_1633.JPG
    493.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1634.JPG
    IMG_1634.JPG
    356.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1635.JPG
    IMG_1635.JPG
    638.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1636.JPG
    IMG_1636.JPG
    590.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1639.JPG
    IMG_1639.JPG
    521.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1640D.JPG
    IMG_1640D.JPG
    440.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1652.JPG
    IMG_1652.JPG
    554 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1653.JPG
    IMG_1653.JPG
    570.5 KB · Views: 48
I have heard power is available on the connector to the phone charger tray. Does anyone know for sure what pins ?

Attachments

• IMG_1654.jpeg
    IMG_1654.jpeg
    513.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1657.jpeg
    IMG_1657.jpeg
    538.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1656.jpeg
    IMG_1656.jpeg
    492.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1655.jpeg
    IMG_1655.jpeg