Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TRod

Aug 21, 2019
Chicago
My 2016 Model S 70D , 51K miles, Master Charger failed, twice apparently. It allows charging as usual (no red charge port lights) but I'm told it is sending fake "charge cable connection" signals to the charge port which prohibits me from putting the car in drive. I had this happen September 2020 and one Tesla service center said it was the master charger and another center said it was the charge port ($600). I replaced the charge port and had no other problems until now.

In June 2021 It again failed to allow DRIVE and this time the Charge Port replacement Tesla service center said it's now the Master Charger ($2600). I thought since another Tesla service center diagnosed the Charger Failing where this location replaced the charge port as the diagnosis ($600+), I could have gotten that cost deducted from my current service charge. They said no.

When the Master Charger unit failed, I was in the middle of the highway during rush hour and was in immediate danger. The police had to come rescue me. Thought I would be rear ended at any time.

I'm told by some this unit fails at different mileage points and has no connection to user usage. The owner is not causing the failure. I dont use Super Charging (since they unceremoniously stripped away free supercharging ), using my own charge station. So, should this be a warranty covered part ( Recall Model S Gen 1 Master Chargers ) or should owners just incur the $3000 car purchase price surcharge randomly like an unfortunate lottery? Tesla didnt want to say it happens often but they also didnt say it was something the driver causes.

I think there should be a recall of Model S Gen 1 Master Chargers and tesla should upgrade them not to fail. Its clearly a design failure issue which allows for intermittent extremely costly failures.

Your thoughts?

Attachments

• 20210709_125728.jpg
    20210709_125728.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Informative
Reactions: gmo43

gmo43

Jun 24, 2014
Mesa
My 2016 Model S 70D , 51K miles, Master Charger failed, twice apparently. It allows charging as usual (no red charge port lights) but I'm told it is sending fake "charge cable connection" signals to the charge port which prohibits me from putting the car in drive. I had this happen September 2020 and one Tesla service center said it was the master charger and another center said it was the charge port ($600). I replaced the charge port and had no other problems until now.

In June 2021 It again failed to allow DRIVE and this time the Charge Port replacement Tesla service center said it's now the Master Charger ($2600). I thought since another Tesla service center diagnosed the Charger Failing where this location replaced the charge port as the diagnosis ($600+), I could have gotten that cost deducted from my current service charge. They said no.

When the Master Charger unit failed, I was in the middle of the highway during rush hour and was in immediate danger. The police had to come rescue me. Thought I would be rear ended at any time.

I'm told by some this unit fails at different mileage points and has no connection to user usage. The owner is not causing the failure. I dont use Super Charging (since they unceremoniously stripped away free supercharging ), using my own charge station. So, should this be a warranty covered part ( Recall Model S Gen 1 Master Chargers ) or should owners just incur the $3000 car purchase price surcharge randomly like an unfortunate lottery? Tesla didnt want to say it happens often but they also didnt say it was something the driver causes.

I think there should be a recall of Model S Gen 1 Master Chargers and tesla should upgrade them not to fail. Its clearly a design failure issue which allows for intermittent extremely costly failures.

Your thoughts?
Did you ever report this to NHTSA?

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC