Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S MCU1 to MCU2 changes question ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@CraigE1965

Im actually thinking you might be right and my audio system is also broken in the back. I'm thinking it's probably a software issue that limits the output to the rear. Maybe the service didn't set a flag somewhere to indicate the type of sound system?

Did you schedule Tesla service? Did they tell you anything?

@Cheburashka , They don't know anything yet. They may be sending a mobile tech to check it next week or I might have to bring it in. Not sure yet. The difference between your situation and my situation is that you said even when you bought the car brand new with MCU1 you did not have base and very low sound in the back two speakers and when you upgraded to MCU2 nothing changed. My situation is different, when I bought it new with MCU1 the rear speakers had bass and were just as loud for the 2 1/2 years, then the day they upgraded it to MCU2 I lost the rear base and sound volume. It almost seems like it thinks there is a subwoofer in the front center and routing the base to there instead of the 2 rear speakers is my guess. They also have tried to push the latest firmware to me 4 times and the games Fallout, StarDew, and Cuphead will not load, just says waiting for update, so they don't even have a button to play them. I think MCU1 to MCU2 upgrades are still buggy and I hope they figure it out quickly.

I can confirm that after my MCU 2 upgrade, I do notice a change in sound quality. Yes! The bass somehow seems to be more routed from the front. In the past, if I used the balance and shifted it all the way to the back right, I could localize the sub (somewhat) and hear the strong bass. Now it is not as prevalent and all in all sounds muffled a bit and lacking the same punch. The rear speakers seem to be weaker. Audio isn't as clean as it was before.

To the OP: Games required wifi to download updates. Post that, they all worked.

Reactions: Hank42
I noticed another thing which doesn't seem to be normal but maybe it is? With MCU2 the console has a quiet fan noise always on, even when the car is off. If you don't have great hearing just put your ear next to the bottom of the MCU2 screen and you will hear one of the small fans inside, which is completely normal, but shouldn't be on when the car powers down. So I did an experiment and left a cell phone with lowest brightness setting and voice recorder app right at the bottom of the console (this will last 12-14 hours). Well, even with the fob miles away and the app closed, that fan stays on the entire time. It never turns off for the 14 hour test I did. So my question is is this by design for MCU2 and does everyone's MCU2 do this, upgraded and original new cars? If so that would be a poor design choice as that fan will burn out just like any always on computer fan in about 2-5 years. Can anyone replicate my test or give results/answers? Thanks