Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S MCU1 to MCU2 changes question ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my MCU1 never worked (browser, voice commands, LTE) and after FSD/HW3.0 it got ridiculous with reboots, 5 minutes to start the car, touchscreen so slow you can't even use it, ect. So basically I was forced to upgrade to MCU2 (didn't want to lose FM, but oh well). So it did two updates in the last 2 days and a map update, but I still have two issues and would like to know if this is normal and how to get it resolved please.
1)The games won't play and say waiting for an update, even though I have been both on strong 5 bar LTE and strong 5 bar Wifi for 2 days. How do I get the new games to load/update.
2)The volume for the radio (well what's left of it, streaming audio, tune-in, spotify) is ridiculously low. I've had the car 2 years and always had the volume on 4 or 5 which was plenty loud. Now you can barely even hear 4 or 5 and I need 7 or 8 to be the equivalent of 4 or 5. The only issue with that is it only goes up to 11, so it is not as loud as it used to be, and everyone said the audio got BETTER, mine got much worse. And no, I did not go deaf in one day, lol
Thanks

Reactions: Hank42 and viper2ko
Hmm, I can't even run any of the new games except buggy. Fallout, Stardew, and Cuphead all just say waiting for update and have no button to press to even start the game or download.
So what are they going to do about the audio problem? Everyone said the audio got better not worse? Do I need a tech to look at it?

For the games yeah open up a ticket. For the audio issue I think it’s the new standard. I’m not too sure what they can do. You can try opening a ticket foe that as well. They will probably tell you that’s what all MCU/2 are like so ours with the Infotainment Ugrade Package is no different.

Thanks zanary,
I also noticed that the traffic light stop sign control beta also does not stick/get remembered like on old mcu1, and I have to enable it every drive. But I was fooling around with the music settings balance and found out the problem, and it is MAJOR. There is almost no sound coming from the rear of the car at all (it sounds like just the mid-range). There is no bass coming from the rear of the car (and not much treble). It is almost like the sub woofer is in the front of the cabin and all bass is going there and is distorted. So I left them a voicemail about this. Do you think these issues can be resolved with a proper firmware update to get the games, remember settings, and have the music go to the correct speakers? Or do you think I am going to have to bring it in for them to rewire all the stereo's speakers?

I believe I have the regular audio system, not the premium. But I can confirm I definately do not have much audio coming out of the rear speakers. Even if you put the balance entirely to the back, there is no treble or bass and the volume is about 1/10th of the volume if you put the balance to the front (though that just distorts the bass). Something is definatily wrong with the installation or firmware not routing bass and treble to the back speakers, it is like I only get 1/10th volume midrange muffled from rear speakers. Any ideas?

• Informative
Reactions: vraev and selfbp
Thanks zanary,
I also noticed that the traffic light stop sign control beta also does not stick/get remembered like on old mcu1, and I have to enable it every drive. But I was fooling around with the music settings balance and found out the problem, and it is MAJOR. There is almost no sound coming from the rear of the car at all (it sounds like just the mid-range). There is no bass coming from the rear of the car (and not much treble). It is almost like the sub woofer is in the front of the cabin and all bass is going there and is distorted. So I left them a voicemail about this. Do you think these issues can be resolved with a proper firmware update to get the games, remember settings, and have the music go to the correct speakers? Or do you think I am going to have to bring it in for them to rewire all the stereo's speakers?

I've got the premium audio, but I've never really move the audio to the back. I'll go try that one.

More than likely a software problem. I'm running 2020.28.6 right now. I think you should open up a ticket regardless and put it al in there. If it's a software issue, they should be able to fix it remotely once they triage your ticket, otherwise they will contact you to book a SC appointment.

selfbp,
My rear speakers must work, it is not like they replaced the speakers. And some very low volume mid-range comes out of them, so they are wired. It almost just seems like the equalizer only works for the front speakers and the rear speakers are permanently all set to -10 on the equalizer except the mid-range is set to -9, LOL. I sure hope they can fix this OTA.

So my MCU1 never worked (browser, voice commands, LTE) and after FSD/HW3.0 it got ridiculous with reboots, 5 minutes to start the car, touchscreen so slow you can't even use it, ect. So basically I was forced to upgrade to MCU2 (didn't want to lose FM, but oh well). So it did two updates in the last 2 days and a map update, but I still have two issues and would like to know if this is normal and how to get it resolved please.
1)The games won't play and say waiting for an update, even though I have been both on strong 5 bar LTE and strong 5 bar Wifi for 2 days. How do I get the new games to load/update.
2)The volume for the radio (well what's left of it, streaming audio, tune-in, spotify) is ridiculously low. I've had the car 2 years and always had the volume on 4 or 5 which was plenty loud. Now you can barely even hear 4 or 5 and I need 7 or 8 to be the equivalent of 4 or 5. The only issue with that is it only goes up to 11, so it is not as loud as it used to be, and everyone said the audio got BETTER, mine got much worse. And no, I did not go deaf in one day, lol
Thanks

Yup I just upgraded to HW3 and still have MCU1. almost unusable now. reboots and freezes every drive.

viper2ko,
Yep, you will need an MCU2 upgrade as with HW3.0/FSD and all the new firmware, there is no way for that 8 year old low memory mcu1 to keep up. Tesla really should swap these in warranty at no charge, but they will only offer MCU1 for warranty or you pay for MCU2. If you choose 1, it will be the same problems right away or soon as the slow and small emmc fills up, not to mention the 8 year old Tegra CPU is like 10X slower than the newer Intel. So you really are forced to pay to go to MCU2. I would do it if I were you, but I wouldn't leave the service center until you tested and made sure you were getting proper audio out of the rear speakers. I am waiting on an answer/solution for this.

• Informative
Reactions: viper2ko
selfbp,
My rear speakers must work, it is not like they replaced the speakers. And some very low volume mid-range comes out of them, so they are wired. It almost just seems like the equalizer only works for the front speakers and the rear speakers are permanently all set to -10 on the equalizer except the mid-range is set to -9, LOL. I sure hope they can fix this OTA.

This is how it always was and is supposed to be.

The rear door speakers are the same on standard and premium audio btw.

Cheburashka,
NO, for two years my rear door speakers worked perfectly fine, they were loud and had bass and treble. I often put the balance all the way to the back seats for my teenagers to feel the bass and me not hear it from the front speakers. Now the back door speakers are almost mute, even when all sound is put towards them in the balance slider, there is NO BASS and NO TREBLE and the volume is 10X lower than the front speakers. This issue appeared as soon as the MCU1 was replaced with MCU2, so it is either a MCU2 hardware problem or firmware problem. IT IS NOT HOW IT ALWAYS WAS OR SUPPOSED TO BE. If you have read this entire thread, that could be the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Are your rear door speakers 1/10th the volume even when balance set to them instead of the front ones, with no bass or treble? I think not, and if that is the case, you need your vehicle serviced also.

• Informative
Reactions: Chaserr
Cheburashka,
NO, for two years my rear door speakers worked perfectly fine, they were loud and had bass and treble. I often put the balance all the way to the back seats for my teenagers to feel the bass and me not hear it from the front speakers. Now the back door speakers are almost mute, even when all sound is put towards them in the balance slider, there is NO BASS and NO TREBLE and the volume is 10X lower than the front speakers. This issue appeared as soon as the MCU1 was replaced with MCU2, so it is either a MCU2 hardware problem or firmware problem. IT IS NOT HOW IT ALWAYS WAS OR SUPPOSED TO BE. If you have read this entire thread, that could be the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Are your rear door speakers 1/10th the volume even when balance set to them instead of the front ones, with no bass or treble? I think not, and if that is the case, you need your vehicle serviced also.

Yeah they are and they were from day 1. Standard sound in my car. Stayed the same after the MCU2 swap.

Cheburashka,
You are making no sense. You say that the two rear door speakers have never worked in your car and you haven't got it fixed?
The two rear door speakers should have sound coming out of them at least as loud or louder than the front doors speakers when the balance is in the middle, and should be A LOT LOUDER WHEN THE BALANCE IS SLIDED TO THE REAR. They should not be 1/10 th the volume with no bass or treble. You are either deaf to the fact or don't care that your sound system is not working properly. You have 3 front working speakers and 2 rear speakers that even when the balance is put ALL THE WAY TO THE REAR THOSE TWO SPEAKERS STILL CAN BARELY BE HEARD. What don't you understand about this situation?

Yeah I get it. What you are describing is how it was like in my car always. The rear door speakers have 0 bass and are lower volume than the front. I even upgraded to Light Harmonic at some point and there is still no bass.

I'm sure others will chime in on their epically loud rear door speakers.

I'm telling you that you have a problem then. I have had the car for two years with MCU1 and the rear speakers had bass and same loud volume as front speakers. After MCU2 upgrade they became almost silent, no bass, no treble. And I always listened to my stereo on 4 or 5 volume, now I have to listen to it on 8 volume to be even close to how it was before. But that still doesn't change the fact that the rear speakers used to work properly and now they don't. I'm not going to argue with you, but you have a defective signal or amplifier going to the rear speakers like me, and replacing the speakers is not going to help. The proper signal is NOT getting to the rear speakers for me since MCU2, and it was before. Seems like you never had a working system.