Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S MCU1 Upgrade to MCU 2 - Availability in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got FSD upgrade done with MCU1 in Vancouver. The camera's needed to be calibrated but it took only about 20km
- Yes, I can confirm we got Dashcam and sentrymode recording now;
- animations seem to be a little smoother and it is picking up all of the other traffic near the car.

Nice touch is that they fixed the yellow border issue around the screen without me having to ask for it! For a moment I thought they might have accidentally put the MCU2 in it as well, but that was not the case as I still got the radio.

While picking up I saw the first Model Y being delivered. Very nice in the flesh. These new black wheels look absolutely stunning.

I am waiting to deal with another issue atm, but I have been waiting for the MCU upgrade since it was announced. I heard the same thing about parts not being available yet, but as soon as I can, I plan on placing the order for the parts. I can't wait to get my car upgraded.

Just got FSD upgrade done with MCU1 in Vancouver. The camera's needed to be calibrated but it took only about 20km
- Yes, I can confirm we got Dashcam and sentrymode recording now;
- animations seem to be a little smoother and it is picking up all of the other traffic near the car.
so you have a Model X with MCU 1 and AP2...they upgraded you to FSD computer and now you have sentry mode and dash cam recording? Thought you needed MCU2 for that?

Or were you AP2.5?

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I am asking to pay Mcu2 for you.

What are you getting extra.
for $3310?
For the MCU2 you get Youtube, Netflix. Faster response screen. In addition, if you have FSD then you will get more animations displayed. However, having MCU1 with FSD does not effect FSD, just what it displays to the driver. Also get more graphically intense games.

I have (had) HW2.0.. With FSd I got Dashcam and Sentrymode recording. Nice bonus!
Wow. How is the video...some complained that it can be a bit juddery on the 2.5 cars because they have the same computer as 2.0 and it doesn't handle it well.

Hopefully that is entirely computer related a d solved with 3.0/fsd computer

Do.you have front rear and 2 side views?

.I'm scheduled for mcu2 and FSD but maybe I'll defer mcu2 for a while. Thanks

wow ranger can do that? I was hoping to get my HW3/MCU2 done for my P1D but ive booked into a service centre (200kms away).

I was kinda surprised when I got a reply that it can be done as a ranger service, but I will confirm on the day Ranger physically rolls onto my driveway with all the necessary replacement hardware and formally announce he plans to upgrade my MCU1->2 and AP 2.5->3

Reactions: Vawlkus
Wow. How is the video...some complained that it can be a bit juddery on the 2.5 cars because they have the same computer as 2.0 and it doesn't handle it well.

I have front and the two side camera's facing to the rear. The colours are a little off but it does not bother me. I am very happy, also because they fixed the yellow border around the centre screen. Feels like driving a new car!

I just had my FSD upgrade. No MCU2 upgrade performed.

Yes, it has front and two side views. The video quality is the same as what you get from the 2.5 car in that YouTube video, which is super bad. I'm screwed if I'm in an accident but my dashcam dropped a few important frames...

Maybe MCU2 is needed to improve video quality?

I just had my FSD upgrade. No MCU2 upgrade performed.

Yes, it has front and two side views. The video quality is the same as what you get from the 2.5 car in that YouTube video, which is super bad. I'm screwed if I'm in an accident but my dashcam dropped a few important frames...

Maybe MCU2 is needed to improve video quality?
MCU2 will not affect video recording, although it can affect the playback in the in car viewer.
All the camera inputs are handled by the FSD hardware. The only time the MCU gets involved is displaying what was recorded.

• Informative
Reactions: mrElbe
MCU2 will not affect video recording, although it can affect the playback in the in car viewer.
All the camera inputs are handled by the FSD hardware. The only time the MCU gets involved is displaying what was recorded.
MCU1 doesn’t support viewer. I unplugged the drive and played it with my laptop. I suspect MCU handles writing video to the USB drive. It can’t handle complex scenes due to poor performance.

Not sure if I am the first one in Ontario to have this done but my HW3 was upgraded from HW2.5 this past week.

Still have MCU1

I dropped car off for another issue (kept getting AP and Steering Assist errors). I dropped it off last Monday and got it back on Thursday. When I received the call that the car was ready, they mentioned that they did the HW3 upgrade.

As for any differences - the camera took about 20 - 30 km to calibrate but other then that I have not seen any difference. Tried to do a test to see if car would stop at stop sign or lights which it didnt.

Don't see any new visualizations.

I did see another video on youtube where people with MCU1 and HW3 do see visualizations but I am not seeing them. I am also not seeing the option for "Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control" in my AutoPilot settings .... so not sure what is going on - Will give service center a call tomorrow

Not sure if I am the first one in Ontario to have this done but my HW3 was upgraded from HW2.5 this past week.

Still have MCU1

I dropped car off for another issue (kept getting AP and Steering Assist errors). I dropped it off last Monday and got it back on Thursday. When I received the call that the car was ready, they mentioned that they did the HW3 upgrade.

As for any differences - the camera took about 20 - 30 km to calibrate but other then that I have not seen any difference. Tried to do a test to see if car would stop at stop sign or lights which it didnt.

Don't see any new visualizations.

I did see another video on youtube where people with MCU1 and HW3 do see visualizations but I am not seeing them. I am also not seeing the option for "Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control" in my AutoPilot settings .... so not sure what is going on - Will give service center a call tomorrow

You need the latest Sofware for that (2020.20.13). I am still waiting for that too.