Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Mirrors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope they will offer it as an upgrade for existing cars. I only have a couple of inches of clearance on each side of my garage opening...
Furthermore, I wonder if the wiring harness for the motors was already there (so the upgrade would consist of just swapping the mirrors and updating the software) or if new wires will have to be run, requiring a major tear down of the interior...

I hope they will offer it as an upgrade for existing cars. I only have a couple of inches of clearance on each side of my garage opening...
Furthermore, I wonder if the wiring harness for the motors was already there (so the upgrade would consist of just swapping the mirrors and updating the software) or if new wires will have to be run, requiring a major tear down of the interior...

FWIW, my DS didn't give any guarantees that it would be available as a retrofit. I guess we'll see. I've never had it, and it's never been a hardship. If I can never get it as a retrofit, I'll just chalk it up to "one less thing to go wrong" and call it a day.

Great to see power folding mirrors as an option. As I'm still waiting for delivery in Japan where streets are narrow and parkings are very small and mechanical, virtually everybody living in Tokyo will have this option :)
Many building parkings here require folding both mirrors before you park - if you visit Google Japan office or watch movies in Roppongi and if you fold mirrors by hand, you will feel ashamed a bit.

Tesla ... encouraging early Tesla buyers to sell and re-buy the newer model.
This is not new.

- - - Updated - - -

Sigh, I have grown weary of reading about options that were not available when I bought my car. These are expected options in a 93k dollar car IMHO. I am happy they are improving the car but I shouldn't have to pay a crazy amount of money to get these retrofitted. First world problems I know.
I agree with the underlined, but I think where we disagree is whether the retrofits offered thus far have been "crazy" priced. The labor and the risk (of messing up the entire device) add significantly to the cost of new features after the product leaves the factory.

This is not new.

I agree with the underlined, but I think where we disagree is whether the retrofits offered thus far have been "crazy" priced. The labor and the risk (of messing up the entire device) add significantly to the cost of new features after the product leaves the factory.

Was chatting with my service advisor today about the infamous parking sensor refit and his comments lend credence to this. He noted one of the reasons we still don't have a refit is that they would need to splice into the harness on at least certain VINs and they are loath to do that as it can cause both immediate and long-term headaches if not done properly.

O

At today’s event @ Chrissy Field in SF, I had the opportunity to talk with Jerome G, and get a close look at his personal (well..corporate with MFG tags) red P85+ (debadged). He was very generous and gracious with his time, and fairly candid. He noted that essentially every new feature/add-on/update/retrofit gets put on his S early (he really is on the bleeding/alpha edge), with all of the attendant woes and benefits. He has tested tires (original Contis, new Michelins), suspension upgrades, parking sensors, power folding mirrors, and so on.

I asked about the power folding rear view mirrors and the engineering/retrofit. The mirrors had to be redesigned. Specifically, the chromed casting that is the mounting stem/arm had to be redesigned/re-engineered, and is a bit beefier to contain some of the components, specifically the motor. He in fact was a bit disappointed about the need to rework and slightly alter this component. The power and control wiring is however present in all Model S (no new/additional wiring or power needed). Jerome opened up his driver’s side door to show me that the existing ‘standard’ driver’s armrest window control panel (presumably standard Mercedes part) is swapped out for one (likely another Mercedes part from the bin) that has 3 additional mirror control buttons at the top (sorry, no photo—I did not want to impose). He pressed the buttons to show me the mirror folding/unfolding. I asked about the complexity of the retrofit—he said about 1-2 hours of tech time, and no major issues. Just deinstall/reinstall 2 mirrors and the new armrest control panel—no software/firmware issues. I did not specifically ask, but I assume that your existing body color shell/housing for the mirror gets reused/reinstalled. The upgrade should be available shortly. I did not ask about price—again was trying to balance data gathering against his generosity of time and information.

At today’s event @ Chrissy Field in SF, I had the opportunity to talk with Jerome G, and get a close look at his personal (well..corporate with MFG tags) red P85+ (debadged). He was very generous and gracious with his time, and fairly candid. He noted that essentially every new feature/add-on/update/retrofit gets put on his S early (he really is on the bleeding/alpha edge), with all of the attendant woes and benefits. He has tested tires (original Contis, new Michelins), suspension upgrades, parking sensors, power folding mirrors, and so on.

I asked about the power folding rear view mirrors and the engineering/retrofit. The mirrors had to be redesigned. Specifically, the chromed casting that is the mounting stem/arm had to be redesigned/re-engineered, and is a bit beefier to contain some of the components, specifically the motor. He in fact was a bit disappointed about the need to rework and slightly alter this component. The power and control wiring is however present in all Model S (no new/additional wiring or power needed). Jerome opened up his driver’s side door to show me that the existing ‘standard’ driver’s armrest window control panel (presumably standard Mercedes part) is swapped out for one (likely another Mercedes part from the bin) that has 3 additional mirror control buttons at the top (sorry, no photo—I did not want to impose). He pressed the buttons to show me the mirror folding/unfolding. I asked about the complexity of the retrofit—he said about 1-2 hours of tech time, and no major issues. Just deinstall/reinstall 2 mirrors and the new armrest control panel—no software/firmware issues. I did not specifically ask, but I assume that your existing body color shell/housing for the mirror gets reused/reinstalled. The upgrade should be available shortly. I did not ask about price—again was trying to balance data gathering against his generosity of time and information.

Good news about the wiring harness. So Cost of new mirrors plus two hours labor. I can't believe you had the restraint not to ask the price. You are more polite than I. Not that he would probably have known... I'm gonna guess about a thousand bucks when all is said and done. Maybe less.

Last edited:
Sorry if it looks like I am carpet bombing--I posted appropriate info into appropriate threads for those folks who might not actually search the forums. And, yes, I used the same lead paragraph to give context….
Ah, the lead paragraph threw me. I assumed the rest of the content was boilerplate as well.

If you have to get new mirror units would the paint match exactly?

The skull caps are fixed on with integral clips and double sided tape underneath. They are removeable (if you're VERY careful) and can be re-used.

Good news about the wiring harness. So Cost of new mirrors plus two hours labor. <snip .....I'm gonna guess about a thousand bucks when all is said and done. Maybe less.

I mentioned in another thread but I had one standard mirror replaced and the total cost was just over $1,200. I'm sure power folding mirrors would cost more and then there's the additional cost of the new armrest controls. My mirror did include a new skull cap which was about $200 but I'm guessing that power folding mirrors on both sides plus drivers armrest is not going to come in less than $2,500.

The skull caps are fixed on with integral clips and double sided tape underneath. They are removeable (if you're VERY careful) and can be re-used.

I mentioned in another thread but I had one standard mirror replaced and the total cost was just over $1,200. I'm sure power folding mirrors would cost more and then there's the additional cost of the new armrest controls. My mirror did include a new skull cap which was about $200 but I'm guessing that power folding mirrors on both sides plus drivers armrest is not going to come in less than $2,500.

Yes, the retrofit will be $$. Would be curious as to the incremental cost to TM between the legacy 'standard' mirrors & control panel and the power folding mirrors in terms of $$ built into the Tech Package. Too bad there would likely be no 'core trade in' ability. Guess we need to wait for details on the upgrade from JG et al.

Saw they now have the folding mirrors and uped the price 250 dollars. Any news on retro for those who don't have the folding mirrors? and what is the cost?

Thanks
jp

You can search these forums for lots of threads on this subject, like:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/22760-Power-Folding-Mirrors

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...Folding-Mirrors-for-the-Model-S-in-the-future

Short answer--no-one knows yet. But the replacement cost of a 'standard' mirror (in the case of one that was damaged in a collision) was about $1000.