Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S moisture issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone has this problem with their model S? Every times it's cold and raining outside, my car gets all these moistures in around the lift gate, it looks as if there's a leak somewhere.

D7230335-D50D-41FE-8473-1A0A2E4F1037.jpeg
53A7823D-A70F-455B-B522-BA8CBA6D8774.jpeg
1E777BEA-F8E4-4E86-8445-EFB15C90F2DA.jpeg
05E5BEF6-EE0F-4742-A785-074BE1270CD7.jpeg

A little bit of condensation is normal, especially on windows and exposed metal, but yours definitely looks excessive.
This is common when you have trapped moisture in the car and the temperature drops, like overnight.
The most common occurrence is moisture collecting (from a leak like you mentioned) and saturating your carpet underpadding.
This is a sneaky devil because other than condensation like you're experiencing there's oftentimes no warning because there's no visual evidence of the moisture until it's too late and you start getting mold growing everywhere. The carpets may not even be wet to the touch.

I recommend lifting the carpet in a few places and feel the underpadding, I would almost bank on it being wet somewhere.
Once you've established that, it's time to find the source of the water. It may sound obvious, but when trying to find a leak remember that water travels downward. Meaning that just because it's most wet under the rear passenger's feet doesn't mean the leak is in that area. It's very common for the leak to be in the trunk area and the water migrate forward and down to under the rear seats and down under the carpet in that area.
Also common is the windshield leaking and running down the firewall and under the carpet.

I know I've described a nightmare scenario but this has been my experience. If DIY isn't an option then a trip to the SC or reputable body shop is in order. Here in NW Oregon we have companies that specifically look for leaks in cars, but that might be difficult to find in CA.

Reactions: akng126
Way back when, 2014 my Model S had a water problem in the trunk lid. Could not figure put why every time it rained I would get water in the trunk lid. After it rained and you opened the trunk water would come out around the hand holds mostly on the right side.
After years of living with the problem and having remove the large piece of molding, for that mater all the molding in the trunk. I could not find the source of the leak. The answer to not having water collect in the trunk lid was to replace two little hole covers on the under side of the trunk. My belief is that TESLA has/had a problem sealing the rear glass to trunk lid. Tracked down all the other possibilities and that is the only one left. Every once in a while I still get water coming from the trunk lid but now it leaks when the lid is opened. Water comes from the left hand side of the trunk lid. The top of the trunk is the lowest part when the trunk is opened.

My belief is that TESLA has/had a problem sealing the rear glass to trunk lid. Tracked down all the other possibilities and that is the only one left.

There's a Service Bulletin for water potentially getting around the liftgate hinges and into the liftgate and interior of the car. The gaskets between the hinges and the liftgate shell (and also between the hinges and the roof area) are made of a fiber material that's easily damaged if the hinge is disturbed. This can happen at the factory or at a body shop if they use force to adjust the fit of the liftgate.

The bulletin says to use a thin layer of clear automotive sealant around the edges of the hinges where they mate to the liftgate shell and roof area. Sorry, I don't remember the bulletin number.

The answer to not having water collect in the trunk lid was to replace two little hole covers on the under side of the trunk.

In late 2015, Tesla switched out the original liftgate plugs that completely plugged up the liftgate drain holes to a newer style that lets water drain out. Service Bulletin SB-19-11-001 shows the difference and has the part number. The only reason for the original plugs was for a few electrical modules hidden in the liftgate shell. When the leakage problems first turned up, the engineers for those components were against removing the plugs because they were concerned about dust, moisture, and other contaminants affecting the components. However, as you noticed, the space ended up not being very well-sealed to start with, so it's better to just let any water that shows up find its way out.

I'm guessing the advantage of the new plugs over just removing the plugs altogether is to still protect against dust. Kind of a minor advantage, but carmakers will shave a few cents per car if they can, and Tesla decided to install a whole new part, so someone there still thinks that plugging them up is important. Having said that, I wouldn't personally be real worried about leaving the drain holes open.

had water coming in to the trunk it was under the carpet but the rugs was dry on top, mosture on the glass more times than not remove the back window moulding, had one of my mechanics in the trunk spray the back window and seams 15-20 mins it was coming from the drivers tailight assems they have a rubber seal around the tailight assem thats not sealing ,the rain water is running down the back glass and running over the tailight assems into the trunk.when i remove the back hatch moulding you could see light coming through where the water was coming in.2013 s 11k miles never hit in the rear, the fix remove both taillight assem 100% silicone around the gaskets

Reactions: JasontheBeaver
You would think that by now Tesla would have figured out how to build a car without water leaks. In the early days or I should say couple of years, we forgave Tesla on a number of fronts, build quality being at the top. I think it's time for Elon and the boys to start thinking about
the quality of the car not the brand, although it should be the same. What is disappointing to me at least is that Tesla has no plans for us to upgrade out cars, it's all about sales, just go out and purchase a new one.

I would like Tesla to come up with an upgrade feature, maybe there are more than a few of us that would like to keep the car we have just
get a larger battery.

had water coming in to the trunk it was under the carpet but the rugs was dry on top, mosture on the glass more times than not remove the back window moulding, had one of my mechanics in the trunk spray the back window and seams 15-20 mins it was coming from the drivers tailight assems they have a rubber seal around the tailight assem thats not sealing ,the rain water is running down the back glass and running over the tailight assems into the trunk.when i remove the back hatch moulding you could see light coming through where the water was coming in.2013 s 11k miles never hit in the rear, the fix remove both taillight assem 100% silicone around the gaskets
I can tell you this... the number ONE cause of water leaks in a car are the rear taillights sealing to the body. I've seen it literally countless times over the decades.