Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S motor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also (separate question) - how do you effectively cool the rotor? It should look similar in concept to the stator -- copper bars (instead of multiple distinct windings) embedded in steel laminations. You don't want liquid in the rotor/stator gap (too much drag). Is it worth trying to get liquid into the rotor somehow (hollow axle etc)? I doubt it. I guess cooling around the bearings/axle on either side of the motor would have to do...
I don't think they are directly cooling the rotor, as you say it's difficult. I think some other companies, maybe Remy, are trying oil cooling the rotor in some way.

Coolant in/out ? :
scooling.jpg
Sure looks like it...

Nice find TEG!
A rotor assembly cooling system (100) and method of using same are provided. A portion of the rotor shaft (103) is hollow, the rotor shaft including an open end (107) and a closed end (105). A coolant feed tube (109) is rigidly attached to the rotor shaft (103) using one or more support members (111), thus causing the shaft and the feed tube to rotate at the same rate. Coolant is pumped through the feed tube until it exits the end of the feed tube and flows against the inside surface of the closed end of the rotor shaft causing the coolant to change direction and flow back through the coolant flow region, this region being defined as the space between the outer surface of the feed tube and the inner surface of the hollow rotor shaft.[/url]
Is it worth trying to get liquid into the rotor somehow (hollow axle etc)? I doubt it.
Well, you know what they say about people who 'assume'.. :wink:

When I spoke to JB at the Model S press event at SpaceX back in 2009, I was aware of this patent, but JB said they were not liquid cooling the rotor.

Btw, the coolant enters from the left side of the motor (a fraction splits off to cool the diff oil) and then exits on the other side to cool the inverter.

Does anyone know if the different battery sizes for Model S result in different motors?
What about the PEM?

I ask because the 0-60 times are different, so max current delivery is different, so the PEM/Motor could be different. But, maybe they're the same just to not have so many more different types to build? Anyone know?

I'm assuming that Model S Performance has a different motor, as is claimed for Roadster.

Tesla Model S Beta 1: A glimpse of the future from the passenger seat | The Car Tech blog - CNET Reviews

For some reason I cannot imbed the pic in the link.

While looking at the pics of the drivetrain from the skateboard mule, I have noticed something interesting. The Model S motor case seems to be integrated(welded) onto the differential case. That can't be a very service friendly proposition, as you would almost certainly need to disassemble the differential to do any work on the motor. I wonder if the production motor would be the same setup?

Another thing I noticed from the very first pic in this thread of the Model S motor is, Tesla seems to be using a front motor bearing that is oil lubricated by the differential oil. Not that that is a very bad thing, but don't sealed motor bearings have much longer longevity? I wonder if these are cost cutting measures?

Discuss.

Last edited:
Tesla Model S Beta 1: A glimpse of the future from the passenger seat | The Car Tech blog - CNET Reviews

For some reason I cannot imbed the pic in the link.

While looking at the pics of the drivetrain from the skateboard mule, I have noticed something interesting. The Model S motor case seems to be integrated(welded) onto the differential case. That can't be a very service friendly proposition, as you would almost certainly need to disassemble the differential to do any work on the motor. I wonder if the production motor would be the same setup?

Another thing I noticed from the very first pic in this thread of the Model S motor is, Tesla seems to be using a front motor bearing that is oil lubricated by the differential oil. Not that that is a very bad thing, but don't sealed motor bearings have much longer longevity? I wonder if these are cost cutting measures?

Discuss.

Here's a photo of the motor from the Oct. event:
View attachment 4487

It looks to me the motor can be removed from the end as I see some bolts that look like they secure a "cap". No doubt the entire differential/motor/inverter assembly would have to be dropped, but it looks like just 4+ bolts hold it in place.