Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S motor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It does, I remember seeing that on the patent!
Which patent? The one I remember (from 2008) was for a rotor that's closed at one end:
liquid cooled rotor.JPG

We don't know that they're using this patent here, and I hadn't heard specifically what they're doing regarding rotor cooling yet. The low res CAD drawing of the 3 phase inverter does look like it's cooled from the center, though, suggesting the rotor is open at both ends.

I will bet that Tesla is using oil to cool the rotor and lube the bearings, reduction gears and differential gears. The steel tubing looks appropriate for oil, not water/glycol. This would not be the first automotive motor/generator to have a water-cooled stator (and inverter), and oil cooling for the rotor.

GSP

Which patent? The one I remember (from 2008) was for a rotor that's closed at one end:
We don't know that they're using this patent here, and I hadn't heard specifically what they're doing regarding rotor cooling yet. The low res CAD drawing of the 3 phase inverter does look like it's cooled from the center, though, suggesting the rotor is open at both ends.

I remember reading the body of the patent. I put it down before the diagrams. It was for a design for a rotor with internal cooling. I believe I read it in 2010, but it could have been from 2008.

I remember reading the body of the patent. I put it down before the diagrams. It was for a design for a rotor with internal cooling. I believe I read it in 2010, but it could have been from 2008.
This is the one I was thinking of: Liquid cooled rotor assembly
I would think that the concept of a hollow rotor, where the liquid comes in one in and out the other, would have been around for years and thus not patentable by Tesla.

I wonder why they have that coolant line going through what looks like the differential case? There are very few differential or transmissions that are liquid cooled, and those are used primarily in sustained high speed applications. An EV is clearly not going to be sustaining high speeds for any length of time.

I'm not sure how the gearing works, but does the differential also step the 16,000 max RPM down to something usable? These speeds seem far beyond any ICE differential, and might require the extra cooling.