Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Nature Pictures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's my new (just about one month since delivery) MS in Lovers Point Park in Pacific Grove, CA.

IMG_1138.JPG

The Painted Hills of Oregon

:smile:One of Oregon's Natural Wonders!

Attachments

• Painted_Cove_large.jpg
    Painted_Cove_large.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 675
  • Cloudy_back_window_large.jpg
    Cloudy_back_window_large.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 668
  • Alien_Landscape_1024.jpg
    Alien_Landscape_1024.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 1,309
  • Tesla_Toes_large_size.jpg
    Tesla_Toes_large_size.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 567
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: Tucker48
Nice! Where is that?

The Painted Hills are part of the John Day Fossil Beds of central Oregon. Oregon is amazing... proximity to the Pacific Ocean in one direction from Portland, mountains in the other, the High Desert... rivers, waterfalls, trees, and more trees. Lots of microbreweries too! :)

A friend of ours has a blog that never fails to inspire us to want to visit whatever he's writing about, such as his trip to this area a couple of weeks ago:

http://thenarrativeimage.blogspot.com/2015/05/road-trip-to-cove-palisades-and-beyond.html

(Scroll down past the kayaking part of his trip to see the Painted Hills photos.)

Older blog entry about the Painted Hills:

http://thenarrativeimage.blogspot.com/2007/05/john-day-fossil-beds-national-monument.html

This was our first road trip in our new 85D. It was fun planning where we'd be stopping beyond the Supercharger in The Dalles, Oregon. The CHAdeMO worked great at the Aerovironment charger in Madras, so between leaving home fully charged, and those two charging stops, range anxiety was never an issue. Thankfully! We didn't have an adapter for the old RV chargers at the park in the town of Mitchell, our "base camp" for a couple of trips to the nearby Painted Hills. I'm not sure the Plugshare listing for them is correct, but we'll look into it and see if we can fix or expand on the description to try to make sure others driving their Teslas have the same good experience we did.

Oh, by the way... the timing of the visit(s) is really important. Before sunset is when the colors really come alive, although apparently it's great in the early morning as well. We were also told that it's simply amazing to visit the Painted Hills after a rain. I bet... and we'll try to go back again to check that out. Gotta start paying attention to the weather reports for that area! :)

Regarding the photos I posted, I have no idea how I messed things up, what with the rotated photo in the center. I could not figure out how to delete it in the editing process. Perhaps a moderator could help? Meanwhile, here's one more:

PH_ Red_Hill_1024.jpg

The Painted Hills are part of the John Day Fossil Beds of central Oregon. Oregon is amazing... proximity to the Pacific Ocean in one direction from Portland, mountains in the other, the High Desert... rivers, waterfalls, trees, and more trees. Lots of microbreweries too! :)

A friend of ours has a blog that never fails to inspire us to want to visit whatever he's writing about, such as his trip to this area a couple of weeks ago:

http://thenarrativeimage.blogspot.com/2015/05/road-trip-to-cove-palisades-and-beyond.html

(Scroll down past the kayaking part of his trip to see the Painted Hills photos.)

Older blog entry about the Painted Hills:

http://thenarrativeimage.blogspot.com/2007/05/john-day-fossil-beds-national-monument.html

This was our first road trip in our new 85D. It was fun planning where we'd be stopping beyond the Supercharger in The Dalles, Oregon. The CHAdeMO worked great at the Aerovironment charger in Madras, so between leaving home fully charged, and those two charging stops, range anxiety was never an issue. Thankfully! We didn't have an adapter for the old RV chargers at the park in the town of Mitchell, our "base camp" for a couple of trips to the nearby Painted Hills. I'm not sure the Plugshare listing for them is correct, but we'll look into it and see if we can fix or expand on the description to try to make sure others driving their Teslas have the same good experience we did.

Oh, by the way... the timing of the visit(s) is really important. Before sunset is when the colors really come alive, although apparently it's great in the early morning as well. We were also told that it's simply amazing to visit the Painted Hills after a rain. I bet... and we'll try to go back again to check that out. Gotta start paying attention to the weather reports for that area! :)

Regarding the photos I posted, I have no idea how I messed things up, what with the rotated photo in the center. I could not figure out how to delete it in the editing process. Perhaps a moderator could help? Meanwhile, here's one more:

View attachment 83416
Great! Looks like we should put that on our list for our next trip! Just got back to the south bay Sunday after a week in Portland. 670 miles in a day is a long trip in a Tesla or any car! My brother lives there so it is pretty certain we will be back soon.

All -

Some pictures from my cross country trip to TMC Connect. These were taken on the 10 day scenic trip home after I diverted to Tucson to pick up my mom for the drive back.... What a trip!

Fremont, CA - Serenity back home at at her birthplace... (I actually got a bit teary eyed!)
IMG_4320.jpg

Monterey State Beach, Monterey, CA (being from NY, I had to get a Pacific Ocean shot!)
DSC00686.jpg

On Route 128 along the Colorado River outside Arches National Park
IMG_4556.jpg

Arial shot taken by Stevezzz from his plane outside of Granby, CO - Thanks Steve!
20140726-_DSC6935.jpg

2 High Tech Transports - Thanks for a GREAT breakfast, Steve! - Granby, CO
DSC00810.jpg

Top of the Rocky Mountains - Driving through Rocky Mountain National Park, CO
DSC00825.jpg

Mt. Rushmore, SD
2T0A3077a-X3.jpg

Devil's Tower, WY - My personal highlight of the trip!
IMG_4663.jpg

Badlands, SD
IMG_4691.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: holaev19
not Alaska. If you look closely, you will see the surrounding is the frunk carpeting....:scared:. Story follows picture. But I think I need start a poll: does this supersede or follow all those jerry cans of diesel as being the :scared:-iest thing I've had in my frunk?
IMG_1880.jpg

Yes, it's a rattler: Mojave rattlesnake. A little fella: 26"/66cm. And no, it did not enter the frunk on its own. It had been strategically dispatched: although genus Crotalus have flat heads, they're normally not that flat. I like snakes, and even these guys I normally leave alone, AND it was not I who did this one in - I found it on the road. But it was in a residential neighborhood and this, reputedly the most dangerous of all rattlesnakes, has few friends around here.

not Alaska. If you look closely, you will see the surrounding is the frunk carpeting....:scared:. Story follows picture. But I think I need start a poll: does this supersede or follow all those jerry cans of diesel as being the :scared:-iest thing I've had in my frunk?
View attachment 84640

Well, I think you have won the award for the most unexpected Model S Nature Picture.

Swweeet! Was that on the same trip - i.e., mid-June? The juvies look a awfully-well feathered out for this time of year (maybe they are a lot earlier than our AK birds). Pretty good resolution for a bird shot - do you know what lens he was using?