Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Nature Pictures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. Aspen is actually number 47 for me:
I also visited Lone Tree in July, but I try to accumulate several new ones before posting them in the "most Superchargers visited" thread. (Lone Tree is the antithesis of "scenic" or "nature"!) Hoping to add a bunch of new ones in a couple of weeks. Still a looong way from my century club goal...
Well, I took care of Lone Tree as well.

tesla-coalbank.jpg

Fall colors in full bloom in the Colorado Rockies, in this case today on Hwy 550 just N of Coal Bank Pass on our way to Scottsdale for meetings.

Took advantage of a bluebird day to make another mini road trip to Gateway, one of my favorite drives (and good hiking/biking on BLM trails I helped build years ago with Volunteers for Outdoor Colorado).

Driving through the Dolores River Canyon on State Highway 141, near the Utah border. Most of the little traffic was motorcycles also enjoying the splendid weather and fun ride:
Dolores River Canyon2150sf 10-20-18.jpg

Dolores River Canyon2151-53sf 10-20-18.jpg

The Nav map of the Gateway area:

Nav map of Gateway2157crop 10-20-18.jpg

Not very dramatic, but a shot of Engineer Mountain (3953 m, 12,969 ft) between Durango and Silverton on the day before Thanksgiving:

Model S and Engineer Mountain2193sf 11-21-18.jpg

Aspens are bare, of course, and not a lot of snow yet. (That has changed in recent days.) The highway is US 550 — that's about as fancy as highways get in the San Juan Mountains, no freeways here!

Last edited:
Used to work in lake city in summers in college... San Juan’s are wonderful!
I agree, that's why I moved here twenty years ago: San Juan Mountains as my back yard and Moab only 145 scenic back road miles away! A reprise of a picture taken, a few days after I got my car, on the county road I use to get to my neighborhood:

Model S and San Juan Mountains1600edcropsf 3-8-16.jpg
The mountains are eleven miles away from that vantage point. Visitors often stop along that road to take pictures, no surprise.

No car in this picture but we don't really have a thread about natural "road hazards," so far as I am aware:

Bighorn ewes on US 550 2223crop 2-12-19.jpg

^ Three bighorn sheep ewes licking salt off of US 550, just north of Ouray, Colorado, two days ago. Unlike deer and elk, bighorn sheep don't move when cars approach them — one has to stop and go around when safe to do so. After I got around the sheep, a semi behind me had to stop for the ewe in the road until it could pass in the opposite lane.

In November I saw a bighorn ram licking salt off the center line of the "Million Dollar Highway" in the narrows section — the depressions in the rumble strip between the lanes collect melt water and salt. There wasn't a way to stop and take a picture safely. Bighorn sheep are also commonly seen on I-70 in the mountains just west of Denver, hundreds of miles northeast of here.

This thread has gone a bit quiet... Don't know if a campground picture really counts as "nature" but I suppose it is more so than being parked on a city street.

Charging on TT-30 at a campground in Island Acres State Park, on the Colorado River:
Camping at Island Acres2246sf 4-27-19.jpg

I was helping with a rare plant inventory project and it was simpler to camp at a nearby state park than to make the two plus hour (one way) drive from my home two days in a row. TT-30 charging is slow (120 V x 24 A = 2.9 kW) but 14 hours was enough to get me to the work site and then back home — no need for a side trip to a Supercharger Station. The park has a nice walking/biking trail system — many years ago I helped build one of the trails with Volunteers for Outdoor Colorado. After a good snow year, the Colorado River was full and swift.