Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Nature Pictures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Parked outside American Tobacco Trail in Durham, NC. Perfect weather this weekend especially after last weekend's ICE/snow.

Attachments

• IMG_8738.jpg
    IMG_8738.jpg
    468.6 KB · Views: 128
Reactions: ModelX
IMG_1504.JPG
IMG_1505.JPG

I took a Sunday drive last weekend up Spanish Creek to see the Spanish Peaks and take advantage of how the normally dusty gravel road in the Summer has now become smooth and snow packed this Winter. Ted Turner owns this ranch, which has about 10,000 head of Bison on about 113,613 acres. There is a public road to a Public National Forest Wilderness Trailhead so it's a treat to get to drive right smack thru his place and share his views, the Bison and Access to the Wilderness. Of what I've experienced, Mr. Turner has been a very good steward of this land and he has put it land trust, so he will be the last owner, when he dies it goes into public acccess land for all of us to continue to enjoy.

Don't lie, you went for the banana bread, not the scenery, right??? ;-)

@beeeerock, I actually skipped the banana bread stand because I was afraid to stop. Although they have now paved the parts of the western Maui loop that were gravel, it is still a very, very narrow road in many places. I was actually thinking of turning around (I came from the Kahului side and not the Lahaina side), but white knuckled it through. In 3 years of having my Model S on Maui, it is the first time I braved that stretch of road.

@beeeerock, I actually skipped the banana bread stand because I was afraid to stop. Although they have now paved the parts of the western Maui loop that were gravel, it is still a very, very narrow road in many places. I was actually thinking of turning around (I came from the Kahului side and not the Lahaina side), but white knuckled it through. In 3 years of having my Model S on Maui, it is the first time I braved that stretch of road.

LOL, I can't say I blame you... too many Mustang convertibles driven by wannabe rally driver tourists too. I drove that route clockwise a couple of years ago and recall seeing a Mustang coming down into a dip that had a bit of a drainage swale cut across it (probably near your photo actually). He was way too hot and I said to my wife "watch this!!"... sure enough, he bottomed it, but good, crossing what was essentially an inverted speed hump... blew the air dam into pieces, but didn't stop to check for damage. We had a good laugh at his expense!

We then met a firetruck coming in from Kahului, with lights and siren (hopefully not for the Mustang!) and had more excitement than I wanted trying to find enough road to let him by.

I would definitely be nervous driving my Model S on that road, and the Hana Highway, both...

• Informative
Reactions: Lucky_Man
@beeeerock, Although they have now paved the parts of the western Maui loop that were gravel, it is still a very, very narrow road in many places.
Is that the stretch of road past Hana to the west that loops around headed back north towards Kihei? I didn't know they had paved that! I drove that stretch several years ago when it was all gravel. It's very desolate on that side of the island but we were still able to spot a few whales just off the coast so I guess that made it worth it lol.

I remember that road if we are talking about the same one. You have to drive past a big sign stating "RENTAL CAR INSURANCE NOT COVERED PAST THIS POINT" :)
We did it anyway , yes in a convertible Mustang no less :) and my wallet lived to tell about it. I'm talking 1991.........long time ago

Model S and San Juan Mountains1600edcrop 3-8-16.jpg

^ Not very exotic, I took this on the county road leading to my neighborhood shortly after I got my car, looking due south. @ThisIsTrue uses this road for access as well. It isn't flat here! The tallest peak in the picture is Mt. Sneffels — 14,150 ft (4313 m) — 12 miles (19.5 km) away.

Model S and US 550 Million Dollar Hwy1618cropsf 3-19-16.jpg

^ At the Bear Creek Falls overlook, a few miles south of Ouray CO. In the background is the "Million Dollar Highway" (US 550) heading south to Red Mountain Pass — 11,018 ft (3358 m). The road doesn't have guard rails so that avalanches can flow over the road and the snow can be plowed into the gorge.

Model S at campsite Zion NP1683sf 6-10-16.jpg

^ Camping (and charging) at Zion National Park UT. Didn't get a blue sky day for this late afternoon picture but it was lovely the next day, as you can see from this panorama of part of Zion Canyon:
Panorama of Canyon walls Zion NP1702-04sf 6-10-16.JPG

Charging at Gateway1878sf 4-22-17.jpg

Charging at Gateway1880sf 4-22-17.jpg

^ Way off the beaten track: destination charging in Gateway Colorado to do some hiking on trails I helped build with Volunteers for Outdoor Colorado some years ago. The Gateway Canyons Resort, where these pictures were taken, has a terrific auto museum right across from the destination chargers.

Sclerocactus whipplei1881cropsf 4-22-17.jpg

^ A Sclerocactus whipplei in bloom along the trail (April).

Not very exotic, I took this on the county road leading to my neighborhood shortly after I got my car, looking due south. @ThisIsTrue uses this road for access as well. It isn't flat here!

Which, frankly, makes that road a lot of fun: really steep? Who cares! Acceleration is instant anyway. Going down? Then you'll get to the bottom with more range than when you started at the top.

Mountain driving? Yeah... not a problem:

Tesla-Molas.jpg

(Molas Pass is between the old mining town of Silverton and Durango, Colorado. And yes, the sky REALLY IS often that blue in Colorado!)