Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S needs a major visual overhaul, and Plaid announcement means it's not happening [Speculation]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

zambono

Mar 1, 2016
DC
Current model S owner here, I doubt it highly I will replace my S with another Tesla unless there are major updates. I will definitely be looking at the EQS, eTron GT, Lucid, etc...

Reasons
  • No major change since 2012
  • AP no real improvement in functionality since AP1
  • Service has become the Walmart of experiences, 6 figure car here.
  • They never fix little issues, led lights that go out within months, door handles, all MCU 1 owners should get replacements, etc

Oh please.

The Model S is an iconic design and is one of the best car designs ever. I wish people would stop with this nonsense of a complete exterior redesign of the Model S. The shape of the Model S is clean, elegant, modern, and timeless. I especially love what a sleeper the Model S design is, especially in the performance trim. Love that it does not have cheap plastic bits glued to it to make it look more "aggressive" or cry out for attention like a 10 year old. By comparison, Those AMG Mercedes cars look tacky AF.

Do people clamor for Porsche to change the look of the 911? Of course not, because they got that design right. While they make subtle enhancements, the core design and look is the same. The Model S is just as good of a design or even better. Franz is a maestro of car design with how great he made a car as large as the Model S look. I hope they keep the shape the same.

I wish they'd keep the EXTERIOR of the Model S the same as much as possible but work to enhance the INTERIOR of the car.
  • For the love of sunlight and fresh air, BRING BACK THE SUNROOF!
  • Better performing exterior headlights. My previous 2009 Mercedes had much better performing Xenon lights.
  • Door pockets and storage.
  • Better and customizable ambient lighting.
  • 360 view and cross traffic alerts.
  • A phone dock that actually let's you ergonomically see the phone display and is in your field of view.
Now having said that, I completely agree that service is a miserable mess and that's something they should fix as quickly as possible. I'd rather go to my dentist than take my car in for service. Service is that bad. Heck I'd count myself lucky if I get my car back without damage and not in worse shape than when I dropped it off. For all they've done to innovate, they've come up with the most miserable car service experience in the industry. No car dealer has treated me this poorly for service.

• You want to talk to someone at the service center? Yeah we don't do that.
  • Aw how adorable! You sent us a little text message via the app. Yeah we'll study your little text message and reply to it if we feel like replying whenever we feel like it.
  • You want a loaner? Yeah we don't do that.
  • You want a defect covered without hassle and argument? Yeah we don't do that. We prefer telling you for weeks and months that it is wear and tear and see if you disappear. Wait, what? You are still here whining about the defect. You are stubborn MF aren't you. Whine a bit more and we'll see what we can do.
  • Can you please work on my car the day I drop it off or may I please bring my car in on another day if you are too busy? Yeah we don't do that. Drop it off within 30 minutes of your time window and get the **** out of here. We'll get to your car in a few days or whenever we want to.
  • And don't bother calling us, we don't waste our time talking to people like you who buy our products.
  • PS: If you want to talk to us, please buy a NEW car. We have people standing by who would love to talk to you about your shiny new car :p:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Oh please.

The Model S is an iconic design and is one of the best car designs ever. I wish people would stop with this nonsense of a complete exterior redesign of the Model S. The shape of the Model S is clean, elegant, modern, and timeless. I especially love what a sleeper the Model S design is, especially in the performance trim. Love that it does not have cheap plastic bits glued to it to make it look more "aggressive" or cry out for attention like a 10 year old. By comparison, Those AMG Mercedes cars look tacky AF.

Do people clamor for Porsche to change the look of the 911? Of course not, because they got that design right. While they make subtle enhancements, the core design and look is the same. The Model S is just as good of a design or even better. Franz is a maestro of car design with how great he made a car as large as the Model S look. I hope they keep the shape the same.

I wish they'd keep the EXTERIOR of the Model S the same as much as possible but work to enhance the INTERIOR of the car.
  • Better performing exterior headlights. My previous 2009 Mercedes had much better performing Xenon lights.
  • A phone dock that actually let's you ergonomically see the phone display and is in your field of view.
Now having said that, I completely agree that service is a miserable mess and that's something they should fix as quickly as possible. I'd rather go to my dentist than take my car in for service. Service is that bad. Heck I'd count myself lucky if I get my car back without damage and not in worse shape than when I dropped it off. For all they've done to innovate, they've come up with the most miserable car service experience in the industry. No car dealer has treated me this poorly for service.

• Aw how adorable! You sent us a little text message via the app. Yeah we'll study your little text message and reply to it if we feel like replying whenever we feel like it.
  • You want a defect covered without hassle and argument? Yeah we don't do that. We prefer telling you for weeks and months that it is wear and tear and see if you disappear. Wait, what? You are still here whining about the defect. You are stubborn MF aren't you. Whine a bit more and we'll see what we can do.
  • Can you please work on my car the day I drop it off or may I please bring my car in on another day if you are too busy? Yeah we don't do that. Drop it off within 30 minutes of your time window and get the **** out of here. We'll get to your car in a few days or whenever we want to.
  • And don't bother calling us, we don't waste our time talking to people like you who buy our products.
  • PS: If you want to talk to us, please buy a NEW car. We have people standing by who would love to talk to you about your shiny new car :p:rolleyes:
I agree that the Model S is a timeless design. Same as the Porsche 911 which is essentially the same for 55 years. Don't change it.

(OT) I don't know why people are having these problems with service. I've had my Model S for 6 years and have always had excellent service. Last few services were at my home. Couldn't be easier or more convenient.

Last edited:
Like @PhilDavid, I have a number of interior and feature tweaks that I'd like to see but I think the body style of the S is stellar. It's the best looking Tesla they've shipped to date. Replace the rear view mirror with an external camera/display setup so that when I look in the rear view "mirror" I'm actually seeing behind the car and not a sea of headrests and passenger foreheads. Increasing the luxury of the interior would be my wish. Not an external design change.

It's over a year off, and if one actually listened, Musk alluded to more announcements forthcoming. It certainly doesn't mean that other changes can't occur. At this point, it's only a reservation slot you are getting and much like the Roadster, there's probably unseen changes that will happen too.

Heck, both the S and X should be placed to lead Tesla technologically if it wants to continue sales - heat pump, batteries, and such all need updating. Right now I'd say that the 3 and Y are a bit in the lead and I'm on the fence between the S, X and Y for my next car when the lease is up next year.

Reactions: PrGrPa
how great he made a car as large as the Model S look.

That's very true. I wish the 'beak' of the facelift could somehow not look quite so..... beaky...... But the rest of the external design is pretty timeless. And that's what you need for sustainability - something that side steps fashion and just remains its own perfection for what it is.

Reactions: sillydriver
Oh please.

Huh. I like the existing outside too. But I think there a few tweaks here and there that could use some minor updates. Raven updated the nose, now maybe something to clean up the tail a but.
The headliner in the rear is too low, causing poor visibility out the rear using the mirror.

While I don't agree with you on the inside stuff like phone dock, ambient lighting and door pockets- I prefer the less is more style - headlights could use a big improvement - M3 headlights are amazing - so there's proof Tesla knows how to do it.

-=#I think you totally nailed it on the service experience as of late. #=-

Tesla has a policy of continous improvement. When something better is designed they implement it soonest possible.

Legacy manufacturers cling to the model year policy where they save all their bits and pieces and release refreshes every few years and complete new models when they need to increase sales.

Since the S has come out they have changed out the nose, tail, seats, dash, computer, brakes, wiring, interior lighting, exterior lighting, suspension components and design, batteries, battery cases, battery pack construction, battery pack sizes, crash components, motors, wheels, tires, headliners, seating, controls, steering wheel, frunk, filtering systems, charging systems...pretty much every component on the car has been improved or enhanced.

Bottom line is that if they spent tons of money and valuable engineering time, they could produce a fresh design, but it probably would not sell significantly better due to the release.