Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S needs a major visual overhaul, and Plaid announcement means it's not happening [Speculation]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In addition to battery technology improvements, Musk also talked about their new frame stamping technology, integrating the battery pack into the frame and reducing the number of parts.

If there's going to be a refresh of S and X, it might be better for Tesla to hold off until they have the new stamping/frame/battery technologies ready, and then use S/X as a test bed for this new technology and manufacturing, before attempting it on the higher volume 3/Y/2(?) lines.

It was disappointing when Battery Day didn't include any announcements for near term products - though even if there was a refresh of S/X in the next 12 months, it wouldn't have a huge impact on Tesla's bottom line. What would have an impact would be simplifying the manufacturing of S & X, so they could be built on the same line - with more compatible components - and when that's done, they can make a pass at refreshing the interior and exterior design.

The other factor is the progress of FSD. If Musk believes they are getting close to FSD, they could also hold off on an S/X refresh until FSD is close to working - and then release an updated S/X design that focuses less on driving and more on passenger comfort/functionality...

To avoid killing S/X near term sales, it's understandable Tesla didn't announce any plans for S/X changes (other than adding the Plaid model late next year). When they are ready to make a major change to S/X, it's more likely they'll make the announcement at the same time they begin manufacturing, just like they've done with previous announcements.

Oh please.

The Model S is an iconic design and is one of the best car designs ever. I wish people would stop with this nonsense of a complete exterior redesign of the Model S. The shape of the Model S is clean, elegant, modern, and timeless. I especially love what a sleeper the Model S design is, especially in the performance trim. Love that it does not have cheap plastic bits glued to it to make it look more "aggressive" or cry out for attention like a 10 year old. By comparison, Those AMG Mercedes cars look tacky AF.

Do people clamor for Porsche to change the look of the 911? Of course not, because they got that design right. While they make subtle enhancements, the core design and look is the same. The Model S is just as good of a design or even better. Franz is a maestro of car design with how great he made a car as large as the Model S look. I hope they keep the shape the same.

It's a good looking car, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but no, gotta disagree with you there. As a two-time 911 owner there are more than subtle enhancements to be had between generations. And there are changes. Meanwhile, Tesla is almost at 9 years with literally just a nose refresh. That's seriously long in the tooth.

Reactions: zambono
Actually, Tesla CS was truly top-notch the first few years and then Musk took over...the rest is history.

Disagree with this. Customer service was fine when I bought my Model 3 in 2018. But that was before they sold a half million of them. Now that they've got so many more cars on the road they are totally overwhelmed. Has nothing to do with Musk. Simply numbers. Which lead to new people with bad training and overloaded people.

They should at least improve the fasteners and retainers, and plastics tolerances for the interior bits. As well as improve the weatherstripping around the A pillar area, and get rid of all the LF boom/rumble that is uncomfortable to listen to going 5mph in a parking lot. The leaky/rattling/boomy cabins are immediately noticeable when comparing to even a modern base model Nissan Versa.

It’s really sad that they are focusing so much on the performance with plaid. I was hoping for refined luxury but it looks like I’ll probably be looking at something like 7 series EV or Genesis eG80 when the time comes. I just don’t need 500 miles of range or 1100HP and would rather have a “normal” car and not some bleeding edge tech test mule...

It's a good looking car, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but no, gotta disagree with you there. As a two-time 911 owner there are more than subtle enhancements to be had between generations. And there are changes. Meanwhile, Tesla is almost at 9 years with literally just a nose refresh. That's seriously long in the tooth.
Bumpers have changed over the years. Also they've "muscled out" the wheel flares. Other than that, not much has changed. Roofline, hood, engine cover rear hatch, doors, headlights, fenders are the same.

maxresdefault.jpg

porsche-911-65-1.jpg

I agree that the Model S is a timeless design. Same as the Porsche 911 which is essentially the same for 55 years. Don't change it.

(OT) I don't know why people are having these problems with service. I've had my Model S for 6 years and have always had excellent service. Last few services were at my home. Couldn't be easier or more convenient.

It's because you happen to be in a Service Center area with decent service.

But they have no national standards for service centers. Look how the loaner policy changes so drastically from region to region.

Those of us who are stuck in regions with poor service centers -- and more importantly regions with poor policies/resource limitations that result in awful service -- we are completely screwed.

I have friends in the DC area and their service experience is miserable at both service centers.

To be clear, people at the service centers are doing the best they can with the policies and resources handed to them and therein lies the problem

Bumpers have changed over the years. Also they've "muscled out" the wheel flares. Other than that, not much has changed. Roofline, hood, engine cover rear hatch, doors, headlights, fenders are the same.

maxresdefault.jpg

porsche-911-65-1.jpg

Thanks for posting this. The two photos you posted represent 70 years of very small incremental changes with the 911 and look how they didn't screw up the perfect design of the 911.

Similarly they should change as little as possible with the Model S exterior design but just BRING BACK THE SUNROOF. It's only been 4 years since the front was changed.

They should work more on the interior though and I hope they still keep the portrait format screen the way it is though so you can still run 3 apps on it.

It's because you happen to be in a Service Center area with decent service.

But they have no national standards for service centers. Look how the loaner policy changes so drastically from region to region.

Those of us who are stuck in regions with poor service centers -- and more importantly regions with poor policies/resource limitations that result in awful service -- we are completely screwed.

I have friends in the DC area and their service experience is miserable at both service centers.

To be clear, people at the service centers are doing the best they can with the policies and resources handed to them and therein lies the problem
All my service has been in N. California (Palo Alto, Rocklin) and Reno. Nothing but stellar service every time. (YMMV)

• Funny
Reactions: BlindPass
I love my Model S exterior design (and I'm hanging on to my sunroof for dear life). The interior needs an update (not a redesign, rather something to address some weirdness and add luxury at the level of the price of the car).

What I want to know is: if you were to tell me to go sit in some other car with the interior luxury you'd expect of a Model S LR today (eg, what you'd want a Plaid to have), what car would that be?

Disagree with this. Customer service was fine when I bought my Model 3 in 2018. But that was before they sold a half million of them. Now that they've got so many more cars on the road they are totally overwhelmed. Has nothing to do with Musk. Simply numbers. Which lead to new people with bad training and overloaded people.
I agree. For the first few years after buying a P85D in 2015 it was great. Then model 3 volumes ramped and the rest is history.

maxresdefault.jpg

porsche-911-65-1.jpg
Imagine standing there in 1965 and having the 2020 model materialize in front of you. It wouldn't look like any other car you've ever seen. There has definitely been change. Change that preserved the essence of the car, but change nevertheless.

The S still looks fantastic/beautiful/sexy to me. Few designs have aged as well as the S. The S looks so good I'm worried the next redesign will be a step backwards visually.

Quite: will they be able to resist the temptation to go all "Lexussy"? That marque now looks absolutely dreadful - but everyone seems to be copying it. Even Honda..........

I had a Saturn for 12 years: its timeless shape looked just as modern when I sold it as the day I picked it up. Basic inside, but every single knob and lever was exactly in the right place and did what was in the tin. Tesla could learn many lessons here.

Reactions: mspohr
Tesla has a policy of continous improvement. When something better is designed they implement it soonest possible.

Legacy manufacturers cling to the model year policy where they save all their bits and pieces and release refreshes every few years and complete new models when they need to increase sales.

Since the S has come out they have changed out the nose, tail, seats, dash, computer, brakes, wiring, interior lighting, exterior lighting, suspension components and design, batteries, battery cases, battery pack construction, battery pack sizes, crash components, motors, wheels, tires, headliners, seating, controls, steering wheel, frunk, filtering systems, charging systems...pretty much every component on the car has been improved or enhanced.

Bottom line is that if they spent tons of money and valuable engineering time, they could produce a fresh design, but it probably would not sell significantly better due to the release.

you are so so so wrong in so many ways. I'm in the car industry. what you're talking about may work for awhile for "niche" (yes i went there) car makes like tesla selling under 500k cars a year, but they can learn a thing or two from what you call "legacy" car makers like toyota that sell 10million cars a year. the mid-model and hard model change has been perfected for tens of years. hard model refreshes work, holding off on your new tech until your new model is released does work. doing small model changes just confuses your supply chain unnecessarily.

i'd also like to add that if tesla wants to scale to 10million cars a year they will most likely change to act like a "legacy" car maker and only refresh every 5 years since you're under contract to purchase 50million units of a single part and not go to home depot when you run out of a part

Imagine standing there in 1965 and having the 2020 model materialize in front of you. It wouldn't look like any other car you've ever seen. There has definitely been change. Change that preserved the essence of the car, but change nevertheless.

I think the original point with the 911 comparison is that no one other than a Porschefile can tell the difference between the past 3 generations - spanning what, 15 years? 997/991/992.

So imagine us which purchased before model 3 existed and spent double. Tesla doesn’t deserve the ability to sell a vehicle over $60k with the service they provide

Current model S owner here, I doubt it highly I will replace my S with another Tesla unless there are major updates.
I will definitely be looking at the EQS, eTron GT, Lucid, etc...
From your comment, It seems to me that Tesla should consider separating the brand
a little bit like Audi and VW or Lexus and Toyota, to provide customer service
more appropriate with Model S and X customers expectation.