Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S needs a major visual overhaul, and Plaid announcement means it's not happening [Speculation]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bumpers have changed over the years. Also they've "muscled out" the wheel flares.
Other than that, not much has changed. Roofline, hood, engine cover rear hatch, doors, headlights, fenders are the same.
@mspohr I think your comments could also apply when looking at those two iconic cars with a well balanced design:

Silver-Model-S-1.png

citroen-ds-23-h-pallas-injection-electronique-gris-palladium-02-6444c7c4.jpg

I still think the S is a great looking car, maybe the best.
The Model S is an iconic design and is one of the best car designs ever.
I wish they'd keep the EXTERIOR of the Model S the same as much as possible but work to enhance the INTERIOR of the car.
I agree that the Model S is a timeless design. Same as the Porsche 911 which is essentially the same for 55 years. Don't change it.
I disagree with visual overhaul.
It is a beautiful design inside and out and as PhilDavid mentioned just needs those changes.
PLEASE: door pockets!
The S still looks fantastic/beautiful/sexy to me. Few designs have aged as well as the S.
The S looks so good I'm worried the next redesign will be a step backwards visually.
The S still looks fantastic/beautiful/sexy to me. Few designs have aged as well as the S.
The S looks so good I'm worried the next redesign will be a step backwards visually.
The Model S should not change (externally).

Even more than fifty years form now the Model S will not look out of fashion, like the iconic Citroen DS.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: PrGrPa and cucubits
Consider the timing of Plaid. As Tesla really ramps up the 3/Y they will likely face margin pressure. Higher margin vehicles like refreshed S/X and higher end Cybertruck would offset narrowing margins. Some breathing room from the pressure to increase Model Y production allows Fremont to concentrate more on S/X.

So I think the timing of the S refresh will be determined by how that piece fits in the bigger puzzle.

Reactions: Watts_Up
In the comparison pictures, the Model S shown is NOT a 2020, no matter how you label it. My Raven looks gorgeous, and I don't understand why some want it "refreshed" just for the sake of "refreshing" it. It could use more sound damping, but over eight years and 200,000+ miles I have never had any problems with Service. So, it's just a few places, a few people, that are having trouble, and it's not the norm. Tesla is growing so darned FAST that I can understand how they might be struggling to keep up, but, really, there's hardly any service required. What, you need them to put in windshield washer fluid? There are no oil changes, filters, valve adjustments, exhaust noise or putting dangerous explosive chemicals in a tank. A gallon of gasoline supplies the same explosive force as eight sticks of dynamite.

And as far as the sun roof, Tesla found that only a very small percent ever opened the sunroof. I prefer to leave mine closed, and I'm glad I don't have to pay for the option to open it, while I am able to see up to the clouds and sun quite easily. As for wind whipping through your hairs, there's still working windows.

Some people just like to complain.

Current model S owner here, I doubt it highly I will replace my S with another Tesla unless there are major updates. I will definitely be looking at the EQS, eTron GT, Lucid, etc...

Reasons
  • No major change since 2012
  • AP no real improvement in functionality since AP1
  • Service has become the Walmart of experiences, 6 figure car here.
  • They never fix little issues, led lights that go out within months, door handles, all MCU 1 owners should get replacements, etc

Remember its easy to CHANGE a design, but much harder to IMPROVE it.

Let’s skip the “change for the sake of change” nonsense. Model S, even 8 years on, is one of if not the most objectively and subjectively beautiful four door sedans you can buy today. Consider me against a “major visual overhaul”.

Give us some tweaks, sure. Refresh the headlights and taillights (make the headlights suck less while you’re at it). Let us black out the chrome. How about more than 5 colors. Flare the fenders on the performance monster. That’ll do.

Interior, sure. Go to town. But I’ll break from the popular opinion and say I’m not interested in a super busy material/stitching/crease/crevice “luxury” interior a la Audi or Mercedes.

Let’s skip the “change for the sake of change” nonsense. Model S, even 8 years on, is one of if not the most objectively and subjectively beautiful four door sedans you can buy today. Consider me against a “major visual overhaul”.

Give us some tweaks, sure. Refresh the headlights and taillights (make the headlights suck less while you’re at it). Let us black out the chrome. How about more than 5 colors. Flare the fenders on the performance monster. That’ll do.

Interior, sure. Go to town. But I’ll break from the popular opinion and say I’m not interested in a super busy material/stitching/crease/crevice “luxury” interior a la Audi or Mercedes.
I agree with everything you said except I wish they would get rid of that little "bird's beak" detail in the center of the slot on the nose of the S. I don't know why I hate it so much, but I would have been more open to replacing my now five year old S, which has the old nose, except for that. If the plaid still has that detail I will swallow hard and buy it.

I agree with everything you said except I wish they would get rid of that little "bird's beak" detail in the center of the slot on the nose of the S. I don't know why I hate it so much, but I would have been more open to replacing my now five year old S, which has the old nose, except for that. If the plaid still has that detail I will swallow hard and buy it.
I’d consider that “minor detail” and wouldn’t be against a bumper/headlight refresh that revised it somewhat.

Reactions: BlindPass
From your comment, It seems to me that Tesla should consider separating the brand
a little bit like Audi and VW or Lexus and Toyota, to provide customer service
more appropriate with Model S and X customers expectation.
Interesting point.

There is definitely a dichotomy between offering bleeding edge performance at ultra premium prices and things like spartan robo taxis, making EVs the cheap, mainstream car.

I agree with Phil, the exterior is gorgeous, there's no point to change for the sake of changing. It's not like there's actually competition anyway (subjective of course) for EVs. I would much rather they keep the exterior more or less the same, and hopefully not "revise" it to the monstrosity of concepts refreshed S that gets posted everywhere on the internet. That thing looks like a hacked up Mustang trying to be a Tesla.

Reactions: DCEV
And as far as the sun roof, Tesla found that only a very small percent ever opened the sunroof. I prefer to leave mine closed, and I'm glad I don't have to pay for the option to open it, while I am able to see up to the clouds and sun quite easily. As for wind whipping through your hairs, there's still working windows.

I have come from years of T-top and targa top cars (20+ years) and in 3 and a half months of owning the S I have probably had the top open more than any previous time. That might be a slight exaggeration but we haven't even had cool weather for more than a few morning hours where I live yet and I am looking forward to hitting a button to 'pop the top' the next chance I get. I took the targas off so little was actually looking for a solid roof car, glad I 'settled', haha!

Reactions: captjoemcd
I bought one of the last 2019's with a sunroof over the just released Raven which no longer had that option and I'm so glad I did. Different strokes.... The S design is still very contemporary but I agree, the chrome needs to go and it could use a more aggressive and lowered front end in the plaid so it looks like a 200mph car.

Reactions: byeLT4
I have come from years of T-top and targa top cars (20+ years) and in 3 and a half months of owning the S
I have probably had the top open more than any previous time.
That might be a slight exaggeration but we haven't even had cool weather for more than a few morning hours
where I live yet and I am looking forward to hitting a button to 'pop the top' the next chance I get.
I took the targas off so little was actually looking for a solid roof car, glad I 'settled', haha!
I can tell you that only the driver and the front passenger might enjoy a sunroof.

A sun roof is nice when you enter inside a car to let the hot air to escape, however
from my experience with sun roofs or convertibles, setting on the back seat is like hell
as you get all the wind pressure on your face, and noise and turbulence on your eardrums.

Last edited: