Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - New Buyer Questions - Victoria, Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

This is my first post, and I'm looking to purchase a model S performance but can't seem to find any insurers that will provide me a quote, so I'm reaching out

I'm 29 and I live in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. I have the following questions around the purchase

1. What insurance do you have? I'm looking for a full comprehensive insurance
2. What are the real-world range that you get? the website says 713km(L) / 671km(P)
3. What does the warranty cover?
4. What issues have you come across since owning your vehicle that weren't covered under warranty? How much did it cost?
5. What are some of the things the tesla sales personnel have not told you / you wish they told you if any?
6. I also saw that while purchasing the cars from the inventory section it offers "unlimited free unlimited supercharging", is this really free for the entire lifetime you own the car? or is there any catches to this?
7. I saw in a youtube video that during the supercharging, if you go past the 1 hour mark it charges you for parking, but this was in the US. Does this apply to Australia?
8. What accessories do you have for your model S?
9. Is there gonna be a newer model that is worth waiting? or should I just buy one today?
10. What are some problems that you didn't expect?

Sorry for all the questions

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Ace.

1. What insurance do you have? I'm looking for a full comprehensive insurance
NRMA
2. What are the real-world range that you get? the website says 713km(L) / 671km(P)
Dunno. Heaps. At least 600kms; mine is Performance (Raven Dual Motor)
3. What does the warranty cover?
?Dunno Everything I think. Haven't had many problems; haven't had any exclusions.
4. What issues have you come across since owning your vehicle that weren't covered under warranty? How much did it cost?
Nil.
5. What are some of the things the tesla sales personnel have not told you / you wish they told you if any?
Unclear. Had one since 2015 and knew everything from this forum so they just give the key to the new one each time I buy.
6. I also saw that while purchasing the cars from the inventory section it offers "unlimited free unlimited supercharging", is this really free for the entire lifetime you own the car? or is there any catches to this?
No catches. But there are plenty of pesky Model 3 owners now...
7. I saw in a youtube video that during the supercharging, if you go past the 1 hour mark it charges you for parking, but this was in the US. Does this apply to Australia?
Not sure of the time, but yes, can't stay once you are charged. Nor should you.

10. What are some problems that you didn't expect?
It's too fast- try to give it some boot and you are WAAAY ever the speed limit. SO less fun than a slow car you can punt.
Very heavy / not very chuckable. I guess not truly unexpected.

I do love it overall. Could have pretty much anything- I choose this.

• Informative
Reactions: SO16
Try RACV, I think you'll have to ring them directly (at the time out wouldn't show on the website). The price I was quoted was very competitive and couldn't find any cheaper for what was offered. Pleasure to deal with.
Any issues (minor at best) were dealt with by Tesla without pushback.
Fees for supercharging are only after the car had finished charging and more than 50% of the bays occupied. (You will receive a notification on your phone when it's nearing completion)
You'll have zero regrets, best car you'll ever own, makes traditional cars look dumb.