Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S new nose rumour

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got chatting to an owner 2 weeks ago at Tesla Heathrow who has a pre facelift Model S. He mentioned that the new look hadn't been well received and that Tesla were looking at going back to something more like the original front. Anyone else heard about this?

Got chatting to an owner 2 weeks ago at Tesla Heathrow who has a pre facelift Model S. He mentioned that the new look hadn't been well received and that Tesla were looking at going back to something more like the original front. Anyone else heard about this?

Sounds like a rumor to me. I personally prefer the new facelift. That is one of the reasons I purchased new. There are also a couple companies that make retrofit kits to give the classic a facelift.

That is simply speculation based on...nothing. The original nose was the most widely criticized design feature of the Model S. Obviously Tesla listened and the X nose was very different, and then the S was changed to be similar to the X and the Model 3 prototype nose is also similar. There is no way that Tesla will change the S nose again just months after changing it for the first time since production began in 2012. Many people like the current ("refreshed") nose. Some don't. No surprise there. Aesthetics are subjective.

Actually, a Tesla employee had told an owner about the nose. If he's fabricating the truth then I'm saying that's a questionable practice, particularly when confidence in the salesperson is at a premium with many buyers (myself included) needing to understand the new technology and making buying decisions based on what the sales person says.

I like the new nose too.

He mentioned that the new look hadn't been well received and that Tesla were looking at going back to something more like the original front.
Oh, you mean like with New Coke? Not likely, considering that the Model X and the upcoming Model 3 don't have the nosecone either. The vestigial plastic grill was included on the original Model S to help gain acceptance from those accustomed to the look of the air intake grill required in ICE cars (much like early motorcar bodies looked like the horse-drawn carriages that preceded them). They are unnecessary for electric cars and, thankfully, Tesla has done away with them.