Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S: New or CPO (long)

Which would you choose?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I appreciate all the votes as well as the multiple positive confirmations of a killer deal. I'm looking forward to delivery; likely Thursday.

I do have a question: It has dual chargers. Does this mean I can install two garage outlets and charge in half the time? I don't feel I need to do this but, if I'm going to install outlets, might as well install two if I can use them productively.

Dual chargers means that your S can charge at up to 80 amps using a single Tesla Wall Connector. Though you will be just fine if you decide to install a lower amp circuit based on your house service rating.
To take advantage of that you'll need to have a 100 amp circuit installed where you want to mount your charger. That should give you around 62 Miles of range per hour when charging.

https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/vehicle-accessories/model-s_x_3-wall-connector.html

Just read your thread JJ. Good choice, if the car is in good condition and has a 4 year warranty, or even 2 year, I think its a great way to go! Did the same mental game recently and am happy with a CPO P85D vs a new 75D. I figured if something changes and I really want to flip to a new car, I wont lose a huge amount. Meantime what I got works great.

Enjoy :)

If you are going to put in a Tesla wall charger you might as well go for the 100 amp circuit. It has been surprisingly useful for us. Of course your panel has to support it. Charging more quickly makes it easier to take advantage of off peak rates as well. Again an assumption - your utility has such a thing .

Reactions: Benjanos
I believe I have a 200 amp service (pretty sure) so, if I install the 100 amp circuit breaker and directly wire it to the wall charger, can I use the same charger on a different Tesla without having to change the settings of the wall charger each time I switch cars (i.e. will the other Tesla automatically reduce the current provided by the wall charger or do I have to manually change the settings inside the box depending on which car I'm charging)? This would be a pain and I would rather just install the standard Nema14-50 to easily charge both vehicles.

I believe I have a 200 amp service (pretty sure) so, if I install the 100 amp circuit breaker and directly wire it to the wall charger, can I use the same charger on a different Tesla without having to change the settings of the wall charger each time I switch cars (i.e. will the other Tesla automatically reduce the current provided by the wall charger or do I have to manually change the settings inside the box depending on which car I'm charging)? This would be a pain and I would rather just install the standard Nema14-50 to easily charge both vehicles.

The car will only draw the amount of current that it supports. No need to manually change anything.

Yes, this is exactly the setup I have. Works perfectly.