TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S newbie owner questions

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by brianstorms, Sep 4, 2013.

1. brianstorms

brianstorms Member

1. This is probably heresy but I really don't like the door handles all sliding out magically when I approach the car. Is there a way I can make it so only the driver's door handle opens by default, and maybe if I double-click on the keyfob again the rest open?

2. When I park the car and put it in park and then bend and tilt my head and attempt to climb out of the thing (not quite gracefully -- I'm 6'4"), I find it very strange that the steering wheel is still "live", still in play, movable, unlike most ICE cars, where it locks when you open the car door when the car is in park. Is there a way to get the Model S to do this too? I'm used to resting my right arm on the steering wheel as I get out of the car, but don't like to in the Tesla because the wheel is loose.

3. Is it true that there is no playlist/artist/album/songlist browsing interface when one's iPhone is connected via Bluetooth and you're playing music? If I plugged an iPod into a USB slot would it be any better?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

1)No--your service department might be able to specially program it if it's a major issue for you.
    2)No--though mine does lock eventually...have to play with that to figure it out.
    3)Yes--hopefully that will change with a future software update. Same issue (only worse) with the USB drive/storage music.

3. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

As was mentioned, no... but PLEASE Tesla implement this. Every other car I've owned with remote locking would unlock only the driver's door first, then with a second click or double click, all the other doors unlock.

I also don't like or see the need for all the handles to extend, but beyond this, there are safety implications. If you're in a sketchy area, someone unseen to you could jump in one of the passenger doors as you're getting in.

4. Cheerose

Cheerose Member

In regards to #2, could it be the steering mode that you are in?

5. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

No. It's essentially because the car is still "On" until you get out. I'm used to it now, but just about fell on my ass the first couple of times when the wheel spun as I was using it to brace myself as I got out. The only way around, I think, would be to use the "Power Off" feature from the touchscreen before getting out... and be careful not to tap the brake as you do, 'cause that'll just turn the car back on again.

6. twinklejet

twinklejet Member

Can't you just turn off auto-present completely?

7. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Well, sure but all the handles still come out at once when you press the fob button or tap one of the door handles. (I wish only the "tapped" handle would extend too, for that matter).

8. Musterion

Musterion 18h 03m 37s −24° 23′ 12″

#8 Musterion, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
    Duct tape on the three other handles works for me.

Seriously---there is a fuse #40 which disables rear door handles, and #32 which is right side door controls. While you are waiting for the software update you can try removing those fuses (the window motors are on separate fuses and would still presumably work).

9. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Majority of the time there are two of us approaching the car; regardless of who that is it's preferable to have all the handles extend. That said, why not make the "driver-door-only" a programmable option for folks that mostly drive alone.

10. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

Who drives $100k cars into sketchy areas?

11. Martyk

Martyk Member

Someone please tell Tesla that unlocking the driver's door only is a simple but brilliant safety feature.

12. jcadman22

jcadman22 MD: DRK NRG

Yo! Big D - You live in Jersey, whatchu talkin' 'bout?!

Sorry, I couldn't resist ;-) Please forgive me, I grew up off Exit 109.

13. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Drug dealers?

14. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Sure. I thought it would be good if 1 click opened just the drivers door and 2 clicks (or a second single click) opened all 4 (the way just about every other keyfob-based system works). Even better, if just the driver's handle presents on 1 click, a touch on any other handle causes just that handle for the passenger(s).

15. simplesolar

simplesolar Member

that's a good one. They can operate very stealthy

16. PaceyWhitter

PaceyWhitter Member

One easy software fix for Tesla, all the handles present, but only certain doors would be unlocked based on programming.

17. caddieo

caddieo Member

Another reason why I like Tesla - fixes for problems like this are software-related, can be fixed remotely, and do not need recall or retrofit.

- - - Updated - - -

If you have an older ICE with the key in the steering column, this may be a strictly mechanical function whereby turning the key to the off/remove position locks the wheel and column, while inserting the key and turning it to the first detent unlocks the wheel and column prior to the "start" position. Not having a key in the MS has its advantages and disadvantages.

- - - Updated - - -

Either one of these options would be ok by me - preferably the first one. I get a fair amount of passengers who have to be told to touch the handle.