Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S newbie owner questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. This is probably heresy but I really don't like the door handles all sliding out magically when I approach the car. Is there a way I can make it so only the driver's door handle opens by default, and maybe if I double-click on the keyfob again the rest open?

2. When I park the car and put it in park and then bend and tilt my head and attempt to climb out of the thing (not quite gracefully -- I'm 6'4"), I find it very strange that the steering wheel is still "live", still in play, movable, unlike most ICE cars, where it locks when you open the car door when the car is in park. Is there a way to get the Model S to do this too? I'm used to resting my right arm on the steering wheel as I get out of the car, but don't like to in the Tesla because the wheel is loose.

3. Is it true that there is no playlist/artist/album/songlist browsing interface when one's iPhone is connected via Bluetooth and you're playing music? If I plugged an iPod into a USB slot would it be any better?

1)No--your service department might be able to specially program it if it's a major issue for you.
2)No--though mine does lock eventually...have to play with that to figure it out.
3)Yes--hopefully that will change with a future software update. Same issue (only worse) with the USB drive/storage music.

Is there a way I can make it so only the driver's door handle opens by default, and maybe if I double-click on the keyfob again the rest open?

As was mentioned, no... but PLEASE Tesla implement this. Every other car I've owned with remote locking would unlock only the driver's door first, then with a second click or double click, all the other doors unlock.

I also don't like or see the need for all the handles to extend, but beyond this, there are safety implications. If you're in a sketchy area, someone unseen to you could jump in one of the passenger doors as you're getting in.

In regards to #2, could it be the steering mode that you are in?

No. It's essentially because the car is still "On" until you get out. I'm used to it now, but just about fell on my ass the first couple of times when the wheel spun as I was using it to brace myself as I got out. The only way around, I think, would be to use the "Power Off" feature from the touchscreen before getting out... and be careful not to tap the brake as you do, 'cause that'll just turn the car back on again.

Duct tape on the three other handles works for me.

Seriously---there is a fuse #40 which disables rear door handles, and #32 which is right side door controls. While you are waiting for the software update you can try removing those fuses (the window motors are on separate fuses and would still presumably work).

Last edited:
As was mentioned, no... but PLEASE Tesla implement this. Every other car I've owned with remote locking would unlock only the driver's door first, then with a second click or double click, all the other doors unlock.

I also don't like or see the need for all the handles to extend, but beyond this, there are safety implications. If you're in a sketchy area, someone unseen to you could jump in one of the passenger doors as you're getting in.

Who drives $100k cars into sketchy areas?

Majority of the time there are two of us approaching the car; regardless of who that is it's preferable to have all the handles extend. That said, why not make the "driver-door-only" a programmable option for folks that mostly drive alone.

Sure. I thought it would be good if 1 click opened just the drivers door and 2 clicks (or a second single click) opened all 4 (the way just about every other keyfob-based system works). Even better, if just the driver's handle presents on 1 click, a touch on any other handle causes just that handle for the passenger(s).

One easy software fix for Tesla, all the handles present, but only certain doors would be unlocked based on programming.
Another reason why I like Tesla - fixes for problems like this are software-related, can be fixed remotely, and do not need recall or retrofit.

- - - Updated - - -

I find it very strange that the steering wheel is still "live", still in play, movable, unlike most ICE cars, where it locks when you open the car door when the car is in park?

If you have an older ICE with the key in the steering column, this may be a strictly mechanical function whereby turning the key to the off/remove position locks the wheel and column, while inserting the key and turning it to the first detent unlocks the wheel and column prior to the "start" position. Not having a key in the MS has its advantages and disadvantages.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure. I thought it would be good if 1 click opened just the drivers door and 2 clicks (or a second single click) opened all 4 (the way just about every other keyfob-based system works). Even better, if just the driver's handle presents on 1 click, a touch on any other handle causes just that handle for the passenger(s).

Either one of these options would be ok by me - preferably the first one. I get a fair amount of passengers who have to be told to touch the handle.