Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - No data from emmc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tremnine

Nov 17, 2022
Uk
Hi
I understand there has been a lot of discussion about emmc failures, how to fix and what to do. I am in bit of a situation and trying to work out the best solution moving forward and cant find an answer.

I am working on a 2016 model S that was received with a black MCU screen (and also in tow mode which makes this a bit more difficult). So immediately I thought the emmc needed replacing, however the chip was damaged upon removal from the board, and I cant read anything from the chip using a AllSocket reader (I have tried the tricks of cooling and reballing). At this point I am convinced I will have to send the chip off if I stand any chance of recovering vpn keys etc.

So - I want to get the MCU back online, and get the car drivable again. I would be really grateful for some advice. I am going to need to get firmware files to populate the new emmc P1 and P2 sections. I do not know the firmware version of the vehicle. Options that I can see are:
1 - Extract the information from the spansion chip. However I am concerned about desoldering another chip and causing damage.
2 - Extract information from the IC. Dont really want to take apart the car further, and given the success with the MCU emmc, am afraid the same damage can be done to the IC.
3 - I have seen T-Diag is able to pull the firmware information from the car to build a image for the new emmc chip.

If anyone has any experience that could help me I would be really grateful - based in the UK FYI.

Hi
I understand there has been a lot of discussion about emmc failures, how to fix and what to do. I am in bit of a situation and trying to work out the best solution moving forward and cant find an answer.

I am working on a 2016 model S that was received with a black MCU screen (and also in tow mode which makes this a bit more difficult). So immediately I thought the emmc needed replacing, however the chip was damaged upon removal from the board, and I cant read anything from the chip using a AllSocket reader (I have tried the tricks of cooling and reballing). At this point I am convinced I will have to send the chip off if I stand any chance of recovering vpn keys etc.

So - I want to get the MCU back online, and get the car drivable again. I would be really grateful for some advice. I am going to need to get firmware files to populate the new emmc P1 and P2 sections. I do not know the firmware version of the vehicle. Options that I can see are:
1 - Extract the information from the spansion chip. However I am concerned about desoldering another chip and causing damage.
2 - Extract information from the IC. Dont really want to take apart the car further, and given the success with the MCU emmc, am afraid the same damage can be done to the IC.
3 - I have seen T-Diag is able to pull the firmware information from the car to build a image for the new emmc chip.

If anyone has any experience that could help me I would be really grateful - based in the UK FYI.
youre going to want to get in contact with @LuckyLuke

Thanks for getting back to me @dark cloud
I have managed to pull p1 and p2 from the IC emmc - so have the firmware version now. Also sending off the failed mcu chip to multicom in Poland - see if they can recover the certs.
@LuckyLuke can you help with building P3 of the MCU emmc if multicom are successful?