Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S: No Spare Tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some of us carry 12 V air pumps and plug kits or sealer goop. A very few of us put together our own spare tires. I carry a spare and jack on long road trips and rely on a plug kit for local driving. Some of the places I drive, even if I did have a cell phone signal, a long tow to the nearest town likely means a tire shop that doesn't have the right size tire in stock. I'd rather fix it myself or put on the spare and be on my way.

I'd guess it is different for the many Tesla drivers who never get very far from a Service Center. For me, even at home I'm nowhere near a Service Center (338 miles) or a tire shop that has the right tires.

Reactions: BerTX
Not a new subject--use the search function to find prior threads on this subject. I use to carry a full size spare in my frunk of my old model S. Now that I have upgraded to a 90D with a smaller frunk the 19" spare is in the garage. Of course I have had multiple flats in my model S that does not have a spare. For road trips now I will throw the spare in the rear. I carry a 12V compressor all the time.

I had a leak in Estes Park Colorado last year. The guy that fixed it told me he has had a number of calls from luxury car owners who have a flat who did not realize they do not have a spare.

• Disagree
Reactions: njxman
It is a pet peeve of mine. First they gave you a little "doughnut" spare that's no good at highway speed. I once had to drive about 50 miles on one of those, holding up traffic on the two-lane road because I could not drive at the speed limit. I pulled over every chance I got to allow cars to pass, but it was still horrid. Now they don't give you a spare tire at all. Not just Tesla. You're hard pressed to find a new car with a spare nowadays. Tires are better than they used to be, however, and flats are less common than when I began driving.

Honestly, there must be better roads in other parts of the country, as I tend to get about 1 flat every year. Just had an unfixable flat on my P85 two weeks ago. Before that, in the last few years, I've had 2 flats on my Chevy Volt, and 2 on my Ford Escape as well.

A couple of ideas. I'd have links, but I'm away from home, so I will have to come back later to add the links.

First -- spare tire options. Of course, you can try to get a full size spare off of someone else who has replaced his or her wheels and tires, or just buy a new one out right to keep at home or in the car. There are also some compact spares that will work. One in particular from a BMW outlet, and they note right on their web page that a lot of Tesla drivers use it as a spare. I believe it's a perfect fit and appropriate circumference, though you should also buy the hub ring (I think it's called) which they make note of for Tesla drivers right on the page. They also sell a tote for it, which is nice. It will fit in older style frunks, if you are hoping for a frunkable spare.

Second -- portable jacks. Sorry, I have nothing useful to share on this. Need to do some research.

Third -- home jacks and jack stands. Just about any floor jack will do, but I highly advise you spend some money on a set of JackPoint jack stands. They are big and expensive, but they allow you to put a stand on the same point as the jack, which is otherwise a huge problem on a Model S (you can't jack it up and then put a regular jack stand under it, as their is only a single jack point per corner and it's small).

I haven't done any of this yet, and I paid for it when I got a flat a couple of weeks ago. Luckily, it was close to home, and I had the car at home, but without a spare and without a JackPoint jack stand, I had no way to remove the wheel myself to get the tire replaced. I had to have Tesla bring in a flat bed tow truck to tow it somewhere to get the tire replaced. Ridiculous, indeed. But fixable with some money and forethought. Or just rely on road side assistance like most people probably do.

Last edited:
I've had about 8 flats in about 16 years. Never once needed a spare. Every time I get a nail or screw in my tire, it's been a slow leak. Just connect a 12v portable compressor and fill it up. I can then drive like normal to the nearest tire place. For fast leaks, I also have the slime stuff, however I've never needed it. Only if I have a total tire blowout would I need a tow. But those are usually caused by driving extended periods on low tire pressure. With the tire pressure monitoring system, that should never happen.

My one car that actually has a spare, I've pulled it out to make room for storage. No regrets so far.

I hit a pothole in Jan, blew the Tesla tire to pieces. Had to call Tesla support, they sent a tow out right away so it could go to my fav tire shop.

My advice, get run flats if you are concerned.

These heavy beasts also have trouble stopping on icy roads, best to get a set of winter tires and a set of spring-fall tires co spidering the repairs costs if you hit ANYTHING. Save yourself months of waiting and a fortune to repair. Trust me, tires are cheap.

I used to have a car that have a spare tire in the trunk, but it was literally never used. One time I decided to check on the spare tire, it was totally destroyed because it was never maintained. What a waste in the trunk + the weight. I pretty much just signed up for AAA plus member and they can tow my car 100 miles anywhere. I'll just take the risk.

I used to have a car that have a spare tire in the trunk, but it was literally never used. One time I decided to check on the spare tire, it was totally destroyed because it was never maintained. What a waste in the trunk + the weight. I pretty much just signed up for AAA plus member and they can tow my car 100 miles anywhere. I'll just take the risk.

The last time I got a flat tire (probably 6 or 7 years ago or thereabouts) I was heading home from my hiking trip in Canada. I had no cell phone coverage, and it was a Sunday when nothing was open. If I had been a member of AAA it would have done me no good without a cell signal. If I'd been in a Tesla with Roadside Coverage, it would have done me no good, same reason. I was in the Prius with the crappy little doughnut spare, but at least that got me home.

Had I been in a newer car with no spare I'd have had to hitchhike back to town (about 50 miles), then tried to find a shop that was open, or leave my car with all my hiking gear in it overnight on the side of the road until Monday morning.

Reactions: dgpcolorado