Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Nose Cone Modification

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I decided I wanted to change the look of my 2014 Tesla Model S. I looked online but found that even with sale prices, the nose cone upgrades were too expensive. I stopped by my local Maricopa Walmart and bought some peel off paint for around $8.00. I removed the nose cone from the tesla carefully using a flat head screwdriver and my bare hands. Once that was off, I used my bare hands to remove the chrome trim piece. I used a hair dryer and a plastic squeegee to pry off the chrome Tesla emblem. I was surprised but happy to find that below the emblem was a slightly recessed emblem. I used the lemon oil to clean up the paint below the emblem. I then put on two coats of peel off paint, allowing 30 minutes between coats. I then reassembled the nose cone and attached it back to the vehicle. I am very pleased with the result.

View media item 117737View media item 117738View media item 117739View media item 117740View media item 117741View media item 117742
Brent

From 1 to 10, how difficult is to just remove the trim but leaving the logo in place? Could it be done without removing the whole nosecone? That trim is the only bit of design that nags me about the MS. I feel it wants to be black to make the lines of the front cleaner...

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
From 1 to 10, how difficult is to just remove the trim but leaving the logo in place? Could it be done without removing the whole nosecone? That trim is the only bit of design that nags me about the MS. I feel it wants to be black to make the lines of the front cleaner...
Fyi, the nosecone just pops out. It might take you a few minutes the very first time, but once you know how it works, it takes 30 seconds and the whole thing is off. You might want to get yourself a plastic pry tool, it helps. If you have parking sensors, the wires have connectors which disconnect easily. Removing the trim will be a lot easier and faster when the nosecone is out.

• Informative
Reactions: darxsys and Vinc
The only way to get the chrome trim off is to take the nose cone off. However, just use an old credit card to pry at the edge and it comes off pretty easily. You could also put some electrical tape over a flat head screw driver and use that to pry the thing off. Once it is off, there are clips on the back that hold the chrome trim in place. It is quite easy to remove the chrome trim and then you can pop the nose cone back on.

Brent

• Informative
Reactions: Vinc
I’m surprised nobody has looked into 3D printing or creating a nose cone that is shaped more like the upgrade bumper that can just be popped in with a swap.

Yep, I always thought that there would be more room for aftermarket nosecones, since it is such an easily swappable part and it changes the look of the car so dramatically. I myself ended up just buying a cheap scratched one from eBay and vinyl wrapping it. Not a big fan of the red logo, but it came that way...

IMG_0355.jpeg

Reactions: FlatSix911
The nose cone is far too big for a typical 3D printer.

I did buy an extra nosecone off eBay to alter. I thought about wrapping it in a contrasting color - so I'm not trying to match the color of the car at all. I got stuck at needing to purchase the part that holds the parking sensor in place.

The nose cone is far too big for a typical 3D printer.

I did buy an extra nosecone off eBay to alter. I thought about wrapping it in a contrasting color - so I'm not trying to match the color of the car at all. I got stuck at needing to purchase the part that holds the parking sensor in place.

I was able to get the parking sensor brackets from Tesla themselves. They are rather inexpensive (about $5 a piece, if I remember correctly). You just have to go to the SC in person, though.

Reactions: Huachipato
Plasti dip is pretty good for the blackout around the car. I've had it on there for like 3 years and I'm thinking I should just pull it off and paint it proper with real paint. I just did the louver covers and it looks a hell of a lot better with that chrome gone now.

Question, if I pull off the chrome pieces that are glued on there what glue do I use to get it back on? Right now I just mask it all off but for a permanent paint I'd want it removed so I could get a full even all the way around painting.
Also the window trim how easily does that come off?
And the T is orange for Leukemia awareness.

IMG_20200924_085019.jpg

• Love
Reactions: FlatSix911 and Vinc
The piece that goes from side to side is held in with plastic tabs. The Tesla Logo part is held in with double sided tape.

I know because I decided to go the "other bumper" route and got the T SportLine NCGV2.
NCGv2 Nosecone Grille

I had bought another Tesla Nose Cone and had to pull the sliver trim and logo off of it and put it on the T Sportline one. It took some time. I also made and 3D printed some front parking sensor holders and bought some cheap used parking sensors. I used 3M Double sided tape to put it all back on the new bumper and it worked fine - there are no issues with that part of it all. That trim though - was a PITA to get onto the new bumper. Several clips broke just trying to get it

I got to say that the fitment of the T Sportline NCGV2 is disappointing. It doesn't "Stick" to to the car. It seems like they designed it to hold on tight on the bottom and it just wants to pop off from the sides and top. I'm constantly banging it trying to get the dang thing to stay in place on it's own and many drives I get home and it just being held in by the bottom. I've tried adding new retainer clips, and sometimes not putting them all in hoping it will just fit a little better - and it stays most of the time. But I need to tools at all to pop it off.

When it is on though - it does look nice.
8H3mjrdKxbe6oQ-sOv5VswqNOC0DAnx2pKNwBYevizjh0-s4hIrtXFrm2LU8LBP6SPp1LOD0howbKwUUtP51kRrT49nqZtZXNSZEDPhrMPMbnNHe1BQJMKY_IH3wko60gn4pB8-_wB5ndTJOaMD-9G5bbdwDYWmbiRJlX4NNezSOi6eQtLkKc338S9sAT8x5OrzQ3LEo4bhlDkq9lnMuVCyu9eUExjsvVKrGfOyJtN-9u4aprAor0jDr5lg26QmEG0xdc6opap5dvNiNisYZ3vGLpbMHBJPjQJ2Y9agWmC3ymbFGO90kgI3RgUxo9V8w8H4Z-fLTT_wvYdr9sGAxjC1QoynLd0Jp8dGczRgXVY8c-z3ZUlqUA7c3LVFH2L6m1kdm0onxbe6UYQJxKWXrUBPO2iw2Ml40KgqGEwqjx8PyVwoOTkxSoSiWo1f9RaQz9KF5nMns2bJfohY7JzxANaYtsqECHG1Z0YkAgbKnMiVaDbYcdirO_e0hLeBk80pA8rqvN-g1ktsLXoCm2BZNuvNWjwLBMTqVcKqVMi3lWR_u2QXAqunmmzbD3otDn0cW02ZebbWMSc1klJ9CV67EzEGjyTZ2zH0NgxMiJflLz7iiV9o5jH4hjRG05tzX9CYLE2P803R1jGTY5xwaoz17j3W_iwhVvxv0hqZbjVSLmNedS9pZ_pHfEJvQdvx2J9s=w915-h687-no

Having a second nose cone is nice. I do think I'll eventually send the original nose cone off to get wrapped, at least to where I can swap them out whenever I want. But I have a hard time recommending the T-Sportline one - it's fitment is horrible.

• Informative
Reactions: Vinc
Today I decided I wanted to change the look of my 2014 Tesla Model S. I looked online but found that even with sale prices, the nose cone upgrades were too expensive. I stopped by my local Maricopa Walmart and bought some peel off paint for around $8.00. I removed the nose cone from the tesla carefully using a flat head screwdriver and my bare hands. Once that was off, I used my bare hands to remove the chrome trim piece. I used a hair dryer and a plastic squeegee to pry off the chrome Tesla emblem. I was surprised but happy to find that below the emblem was a slightly recessed emblem. I used the lemon oil to clean up the paint below the emblem. I then put on two coats of peel off paint, allowing 30 minutes between coats. I then reassembled the nose cone and attached it back to the vehicle. I am very pleased with the result.

View media item 117737View media item 117738View media item 117739View media item 117740View media item 117741View media item 117742
Brent
looks great!

The piece that goes from side to side is held in with plastic tabs. The Tesla Logo part is held in with double sided tape.

I know because I decided to go the "other bumper" route and got the T SportLine NCGV2.
NCGv2 Nosecone Grille

I had bought another Tesla Nose Cone and had to pull the sliver trim and logo off of it and put it on the T Sportline one. It took some time. I also made and 3D printed some front parking sensor holders and bought some cheap used parking sensors. I used 3M Double sided tape to put it all back on the new bumper and it worked fine - there are no issues with that part of it all. That trim though - was a PITA to get onto the new bumper. Several clips broke just trying to get it

I got to say that the fitment of the T Sportline NCGV2 is disappointing. It doesn't "Stick" to to the car. It seems like they designed it to hold on tight on the bottom and it just wants to pop off from the sides and top. I'm constantly banging it trying to get the dang thing to stay in place on it's own and many drives I get home and it just being held in by the bottom. I've tried adding new retainer clips, and sometimes not putting them all in hoping it will just fit a little better - and it stays most of the time. But I need to tools at all to pop it off.

When it is on though - it does look nice.
8H3mjrdKxbe6oQ-sOv5VswqNOC0DAnx2pKNwBYevizjh0-s4hIrtXFrm2LU8LBP6SPp1LOD0howbKwUUtP51kRrT49nqZtZXNSZEDPhrMPMbnNHe1BQJMKY_IH3wko60gn4pB8-_wB5ndTJOaMD-9G5bbdwDYWmbiRJlX4NNezSOi6eQtLkKc338S9sAT8x5OrzQ3LEo4bhlDkq9lnMuVCyu9eUExjsvVKrGfOyJtN-9u4aprAor0jDr5lg26QmEG0xdc6opap5dvNiNisYZ3vGLpbMHBJPjQJ2Y9agWmC3ymbFGO90kgI3RgUxo9V8w8H4Z-fLTT_wvYdr9sGAxjC1QoynLd0Jp8dGczRgXVY8c-z3ZUlqUA7c3LVFH2L6m1kdm0onxbe6UYQJxKWXrUBPO2iw2Ml40KgqGEwqjx8PyVwoOTkxSoSiWo1f9RaQz9KF5nMns2bJfohY7JzxANaYtsqECHG1Z0YkAgbKnMiVaDbYcdirO_e0hLeBk80pA8rqvN-g1ktsLXoCm2BZNuvNWjwLBMTqVcKqVMi3lWR_u2QXAqunmmzbD3otDn0cW02ZebbWMSc1klJ9CV67EzEGjyTZ2zH0NgxMiJflLz7iiV9o5jH4hjRG05tzX9CYLE2P803R1jGTY5xwaoz17j3W_iwhVvxv0hqZbjVSLmNedS9pZ_pHfEJvQdvx2J9s=w915-h687-no

Having a second nose cone is nice. I do think I'll eventually send the original nose cone off to get wrapped, at least to where I can swap them out whenever I want. But I have a hard time recommending the T-Sportline one - it's fitment is horrible.
Let me know if you ever want to sell the t sportline nose cone. Im
Looking for the chrome version if available

I really want my obsidian black Model S to have obsidian black nose one with obsidian black borders. Anyone have any images of that combo? Wondering how obvious the round nosecobe still would be? (Can’t see half the images in this post. Something about permission…?)

Reactions: QUBO and gillmj24