Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Nose Cone Modification

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I decided I wanted to change the look of my 2014 Tesla Model S. I looked online but found that even with sale prices, the nose cone upgrades were too expensive. I stopped by my local Maricopa Walmart and bought some peel off paint for around $8.00. I removed the nose cone from the tesla carefully using a flat head screwdriver and my bare hands. Once that was off, I used my bare hands to remove the chrome trim piece. I used a hair dryer and a plastic squeegee to pry off the chrome Tesla emblem. I was surprised but happy to find that below the emblem was a slightly recessed emblem. I used the lemon oil to clean up the paint below the emblem. I then put on two coats of peel off paint, allowing 30 minutes between coats. I then reassembled the nose cone and attached it back to the vehicle. I am very pleased with the result.

View media item 117737View media item 117738View media item 117739View media item 117740View media item 117741View media item 117742
Brent

Reactions: Pentium2004
You are lucky to have a black car as any black paint will match. I would consider painting our nose cone if I could match the paint colour perfectly and if I could be assured that it would withstand highway travel. For now I am leaving it as is.

Nice! Just for future reference you don’t need a screwdriver to remove the nosecone. Somewhere there’s a video that shows you how to do it by basically sitting on it to pop off the top edge (after which you can pull it off by hand). That’s the only way I’ve done it.

Bruce.

Today I decided I wanted to change the look of my 2014 Tesla Model S. I looked online but found that even with sale prices, the nose cone upgrades were too expensive. I stopped by my local Maricopa Walmart and bought some peel off paint for around $8.00. I removed the nose cone from the tesla carefully using a flat head screwdriver and my bare hands. Once that was off, I used my bare hands to remove the chrome trim piece. I used a hair dryer and a plastic squeegee to pry off the chrome Tesla emblem. I was surprised but happy to find that below the emblem was a slightly recessed emblem. I used the lemon oil to clean up the paint below the emblem. I then put on two coats of peel off paint, allowing 30 minutes between coats. I then reassembled the nose cone and attached it back to the vehicle. I am very pleased with the result.

View media item 117737View media item 117738View media item 117739View media item 117740View media item 117741View media item 117742
Brent
Paint the chrome trim around the nose cone it might look even better

Well done! Here is another option to add more chrome...:cool:
Nosecone grill.jpg

Reactions: shthpnz
My next project is to paint the chrome around the nose cone - I will post pictures when I get that tackled.

I saw that nose cone with the horizontal chrome stripes on sale for $450 with shipping, but I don't quite like the look. There were some amazing designs out there on the Internet, but nothing that was actually available for me to purchase.

Thanks, everyone...

Brent

• Helpful
Reactions: bmah
Today I tackled the front chrome outset around the nose cone. I cut up a kitchen garbage bag and used masking tape to protect everything. I then applied four coats of peel off paint, waiting 30 minutes between coats. Finally, I carefully removed the masking tape and plastic. If you look really close, you'll see a couple of flaws, but overall I am very happy with the result.

View media item 117795View media item 117796View media item 117797View media item 117798
Brent

I love both of your vehicles... I am so upside down in mine that I am now looking for ways to make it look different without spending a lot of money... Thanks for your very kind words... Next is the light upgrade from Evan (my headlights are both on the way out). Using the vehicle tonight, my lights went out about seven times. I have to turn them off and then back to Auto to get them back on again. I am heading to San Diego next Monday. I will post pictures after that upgrade... I am looking forward to having the blacked out light upgrade.

Brent

Evan was great and I love my new headlights. I drove home late at night this past Thursday with the upgraded headlights and it is so much brighter. The lights worked flawlessly - usually one or two goes out several times. The upgrade was just under $2K. Tesla offered to replace my headlight assemblies for $2K + taxes. I am so happy that I went with the Evan upgrade. I love the black demon eyes.

BlackHeadlightUpgradeFront.jpg

BlackHeadlightUpgradeFrontRight.jpg

BlackHeadlightUpgradeFrontQuarter.jpg

No, there is no upgrade option at the service centers. My headlights were going out and it was going to cost me $1,200 to get them replaced. Evan performed the upgrade for less than that - he blacked out the chrome including the "eye" and installed much brighter bulbs and replaced the ballast. My headlights are 2,000% better now. I used to have tint on my headlights and everyone would always ask if my lights were actually on. Now, there is no question.

Brent

It has been great - I have literally had no issues and I love how bright they are - makes driving a lot easier at night. I took my car to him in San Diego (I have a friend who lives there), but he usually wants you to ship the lights to him and he will ship back after he upgrades them. I am not sure about Xenons - but I had HID lights - non LED...

Brent

Hey, when did the nosecone become non-translucent? Mine (2015) is solid, but the OP's picture clearly shows at least the top part is partially translucent. I would love to have somewhat translucent top for nicely camouflaged laser sensors and jammers.

Hey, when did the nosecone become non-translucent? Mine (2015) is solid, but the OP's picture clearly shows at least the top part is partially translucent. I would love to have somewhat translucent top for nicely camouflaged laser sensors and jammers.
If you're looking at what I'm looking at (the picture with the office chair behind it), I'm 99.9% sure that's just the reflection. My 2015 is solid too.