Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Not Charging after Storm.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question: has anyone had any issues charging after a lightning storm? Storm came through my area and now my car will not charge. I tried multiple power sources and nothing works. Waiting until Monday for Tesla Service to open back up.

A few months ago, we had some power surges (likely after a storm).

The secondary charger in our "classic" P85 was damaged - so the car would only charge at 40A. Fortunately Tesla replaced the failed charger under our extended warranty, minus a deductible.

And that wasn't the only problem. Evidently there were additional problems introduced in the grid power distribution across our area - multiple Tesla owners within a several mile radius were getting frequent charging interruptions.

It took the electric utility days, along with advice from Tesla's charging team, to determine the problem wasn't in the homes, or even on a specific street - but was in their distribution system - and once they did the repairs on their equipment, we were able to charge reliably again.

When this problem was first detected, the power company sent a truck out to our house - and using the standard testing equipment on their truck, they verified what appeared to be correct 240v power, even though the power wasn't clean enough to allow the Tesla chargers to work reliably. That's why it took days and assistance from Tesla - to convince the power company to stop looking at the individual houses and look deeper into potential power issues that were significant enough to affect the Tesla chargers - but not enough to impact other 240v devices/appliances.

Cinemasatty, your Mobile / Wall Connector may need to be reset. Can you try powering it off, wait a minute, and then power it on? The Mobile Connector has a button underneath that you can try pressing once you've powered it back on. Also it would be a good idea to invest in a whole house surge protector like this one, if you haven't already:

Eaton Type CH 30 Amp Double-Pole Surge Breaker-CH230SUR - The Home Depot

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: cinemasatty
I had a nearby lightning strike a while back that fried a number of items in my house (network ports on a dozen devices mostly, but a few lighting controllers and A/C appliances as well).

One casualty was the charge port release button on my HPWC. It fried that circuit, but the main charging function still works, and the charger aboard my Tesla survived.

• Informative
Tried a 240v and 120v with the UMC. Tried resetting it and tried a Blink Level 2 charger. All gave me the same error message. Something to the effect of "Unable to Charge. Please check power source." Haven't tried Supercharging. Nearest is over 40 miles away and I now have 39 miles range.

Tried a 240v and 120v with the UMC. Tried resetting it and tried a Blink Level 2 charger. All gave me the same error message. Something to the effect of "Unable to Charge. Please check power source." Haven't tried Supercharging. Nearest is over 40 miles away and I now have 39 miles range.
CHAdeMO is also a direct DC connection that bypasses the onboard chargers. Do you have the adapter and a CHAdeMO location nearer than 40 miles?

• Informative