TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model S: not driveable, "Car Off" indicator displayed

Discussion in 'Model S' started by kWh, Jun 28, 2017.

1. kWh

kWh Member

Last night I was leaving the gym. I got into my model S, put my foot on the brake and moved the gear selector: nothing happened. Everything looked normal: lights on, A/C on, stereo on, etc. but the car didn't move. I tried rebooting the displays, tried turning on the car via the phone app (the "keyless" notice appeared on the display above the steering wheel) but nothing changed. I called support and they said nothing appeared amiss to them. One interesting note: my brake lights were stuck "on" even with my foot off the pedal.

Tesla roadside support arranged for a tow and I walked the short distance back to my house. An hour later the tow driver reported picking up my car and said the brake lights were still on. I don't recall if the headlights were on as the sun was still shining.

Later, I was reviewing other discussions an I realized that I could have also tried the "power off" from the center display.

The local Service Center was still running diagnostics when I spoke to them earlier this morning.

Has anyone else seen anything like this?

2. Tam

Tam Active Member

No, I've never heard this kind of scenario.

Does it display gear on the dashboard: P R N D ?

When your brake is on "Hold" the light stays until it is off "hold".

But when you get out of the car it should shut off the system.