Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Not Ready For Commercial Use Prime Time. Can I afford to own this car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I definitely understand the frustration, but wouldn't you be able to to sell the Model S and purchase another one, and still be out way ahead due to the savings on fuel and maintenance costs versus a towncar? The Model S still has fantastic resale value.

Replacement of a $3,300 part on a $100k car after using up the warranty milage in such a short period? Totally to be expected, and no right to complain.

Charger failed after 540 cycles (about 120 mi per day) charging and you think that is to be expected? Battery is expected (and warranted) to go 8 years - almost 2900 charge/discharge cycles; motors and inverters for 8 years infinite miles. It seems that a charger should last longer than 18 months.

Charger failed after 540 cycles (about 120 mi per day) charging and you think that is to be expected? Battery is expected (and warranted) to go 8 years - almost 2900 charge/discharge cycles; motors and inverters for 8 years infinite miles. It seems that a charger should last longer than 18 months.
True, but that's not my point. If you take time/mileage out of picture and look at rated use for each part, as you have, there's a good case. But cars are almost universally warranted by time/milage limits. Underlying assumption is that the prescribed milage/age constitutes fair use of vehicle after which owner becomes responsible. Mfg can't afford to pay forever. Having a part fail that costs 3% of purchase price after that period should not be shocking or unexpected. Batteries are special case because longer warranty is legislated.

So the drama continues. After replacing the charge unit, the drive unit failed again and got replaced. Then I got a call from Tesla that the telemetry from the car indicated something wrong with the battery. We we took it in and the gave us a loaner for a little over a month and then put the repaired one back in.
Now the MCU has failed and it will cost over $2700 to repair. At this point the KBB on the car is in the $30K range. Now we have a repair that represents about 10% of the value of the car and the drive unit is starting to clunk again. Anyone want to buy this?

So the drama continues. After replacing the charge unit, the drive unit failed again and got replaced. Then I got a call from Tesla that the telemetry from the car indicated something wrong with the battery. We we took it in and the gave us a loaner for a little over a month and then put the repaired one back in.
Now the MCU has failed and it will cost over $2700 to repair. At this point the KBB on the car is in the $30K range. Now we have a repair that represents about 10% of the value of the car and the drive unit is starting to clunk again. Anyone want to buy this?

With all due respects, I hope you are not trolling.

You started this thread almost three years ago with one problem following another. Since you started this thread in September 2014 and stated that you drove your car for 65K miles in 18 months, which translates into 1) you acquired your MS somewhere around March of 2013; 2) you drive in excess of 3K miles a month; and 3) you have more than 185K miles (presumably) on your car

Are you really serious about offering your MS for an opening offer of $27K?
If yes, would you please provide additional details about your car i.e. Current Mileage, Battery size, Color, Optional items etc. ?

Last edited:
The car has 135,000 on it.
In our normal commercial use for a Lincoln Town car, we see somewhere between 60-100K use per year, so the Tesla has been actually used rather lightly in comparison.
We added extra sound proofing within a few weeks of the car's arrival in March of 2013 (correct guess ABVA). I posted pictures of the installation here and it prompted another bay area owner to have the same thing done at the same shop. There was a lot of road noise coming up from the floor of the trunk area and anyone sitting in the back seat could really hear it. So we insulated the floor, wheel wells and door panels. The shop owner just got himself a Model X and loves it.
Black on black with leather, tinted windows, 3M film, nav package, suspension package, standard sound. No accidents

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: mmd and cwerdna
Isn't the drive unit under warranty?

In Sep 2014, you were already on 4th drive unit. What drive unit are you on now that failed? What battery number? According to Tesla and some posters here, Tesla drive units should last million miles.

Your car is a very good case study in long term durability of Tesla cars. Can you please list all the repairs and maintenance so far in those 135k miles?

It seems you have 8 year/infinite mile powertrain warranty, so you are good for another 4 years. If you bought extended warranty, it's even less expense for you till you hit 8 years.

• Funny
Reactions: cwerdna
Geesh, it's not that hard.

Just put the MCU you in on your own (easy DIY, no?) and then ask them to "goodwill" the programming when you drop it off for the new Drive Unit.

If you run the numbers I'd bet you're still WAY ahead of how you would have come out with a Town Car, even with the days out of service, no?

Added benefit: every mile driven helps leave a usable planet for future generations . . . .

According to Tesla and some posters here, Tesla drive units should last million miles..
Source? We've seen 0 evidence (as in, customer cars that have actually made it to 1 million miles on the original DU) to support your claim, so far.

I hope you realize that are at least 3 folks here on TMC who are on at least their 7th DU. I can point you to their posts on this, if you really need me to.

Edmunds in July 2014 was on their 4th DU at about 30K miles about 17 months into ownership: 2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Wrap-Up | Edmunds (look under Maintenance & Repairs).

Last edited:
Source? We've seen 0 evidence (as in, customer cars that have actually made it to 1 million miles on the original DU) to support your claim, so far.

I hope you realize that are at least 3 folks here on TMC who are on at least their 7th DU. I can point you to their posts on this, if you really need me to.

Edmunds in July 2014 was on their 4th DU at about 30K miles about 17 months into ownership: 2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Wrap-Up | Edmunds (look under Maintenance & Repairs).

Yes, I do know some of those and Edmunds' test :) Still, some people like to talk about how the million mile Teslas will drive all repair shops out of business :) Tesla claims it has made huge improvements in this area. This was all over the news.

Tesla upgrades its electric motor on the road to have powertrains lasting 1 million miles
Tesla Power Train Lifetime Goal = 1 Million Miles!
New Motors - 1 million mile life. Model 3 the last car you buy?
Self-Driving Tesla Ridesharing, 1-Million-Mile Drive Units, & “Really Efficient” Capital Efficiency — 3 Tidbits From Tesla’s Financials Call
1-Million-Mile Drive Units, Autonomous Ride-Sharing Teslas, Extreme Efficiency — 3 More “Tidbits” From Tesla Q3 Conference Call

OP has nothing to worry about. /s

• Disagree
Reactions: cwerdna
Yes, I do know some of those and Edmunds' test :) Still, some people like to talk about how the million mile Teslas will drive all repair shops out of business :) Tesla claims it has made huge improvements in this area. This was all over the news.

Tesla upgrades its electric motor on the road to have powertrains lasting 1 million miles
Above was complete BS and bizarre reading into things by Electrek. See
Yes, we know about a goal from July 2015. From Three Dog Day | Tesla Motors
"Luuudicrous Mode
While working on our goal of making the power train last a million miles, we came up with the idea for an advanced smart fuse for the battery."

There's no evidence to suggest they've come even close to meeting it. Please see Official Tesla Model S thread - Page 348 - My Nissan Leaf Forum.

Already responded to earlier.
Again, this is the same goal. From the conference call you cite in Nov 2015
"Yeah, right now we’re actually very happy with the quality of the drive units. I mean, internally, our goal — we changed the goal of the drive unit endurance from being approximately 200,000 miles to being a million miles. Just basically, we want drive units that just never wear out. That’s our goal. And I think we’ve made really good progress in that direction.”"

See Official Tesla Model S thread - Page 348 - My Nissan Leaf Forum for examples of DU failures from after that goal was originally stated in July 2015, all with VERY low mileage. And all those failures were from DUs produced after Elon already claimed the DUs going (being shipped) out are "excellent".

I listed some DU failures from 2016 and beyond at Battery Warranty not unlimited miles?, 455,000 active reservations at the time of the July Model 3 event. (including Elon's claim from Nov 2015 that DUs were "excellent")

As usual, Tesla's hype was "all over" the "news" and echoed by various sites and they were just statements about a goal and making progress towards it.

It seems that you and others have conflated a statement of a goal with shipping or having shipped to customers hardware that actually meets the goal.

Battery Warranty not unlimited miles? is a brief summary of statements Elon's made about DUs and what's supposedly to blame. I personally suspect there are numerous causes and some he didn't know about at the time in other cases, it was just an oversimplification for the sake of brevity of the setting (e.g. investor conference call, not a presentation in motor design and failure analysis).

So please answer again, what is the source of "According to Tesla and some posters here, Tesla drive units should last million miles"? They had a goal. I've never seen a claim that they actually met it nor have you pointed me to a Tesla customer vehicle at 1 million miles on a single DU.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mmd