Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S now has glass roof option..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
solar roof.png

• Informative
Reactions: Waiting4M3
Well... We know it's possible to put a solar roof on a car.
We also know that there is no reason to do so, ever. There's simply not enough solar radiation hitting the roof of your car to make any meaningful difference (even if solar cells were 100% efficient, which they aren't), and if it adds any weight at all, you actually do more harm than good. Many people mocked the Karma for this very concept.

We know it's possible to put a solar roof on a car.
We also know that there is no reason to do so, ever. There's simply not enough solar radiation hitting the roof of your car to make any meaningful difference (even if solar cells were 100% efficient, which they aren't)
(Speculation hat on) Maybe...a future Telsa "solar roof option" will only be used to power the "cabin overheat protection" feature for as long as the sun is shining (which is the only time you will need it) without drawing any power from the main battery, so that feature can operate indefinitely. The Prius has a similar option.

So now we get into the same situation for existing orders as happened with AP. Please post if anybody hears from their D.S. whether it will be possible to switch from old sunroof to new all glass roof (same price) without change fee.

Added weight, raised CG, hotter cabin, can't be opened, more expensive, less efficient, expensive to fix, and possibly less safe? For me personally, it's not an enticing option.

I would, however, like to see it be electrochromic, going from transparent to opaque at the touch of a button.

What if you could run aux power for radio or AC without draining battery? This is nothing new, by the way.

"There’s also a ton of transparent solar technologies out there that use energy from the non-visible infrared or ultraviolet spectrum that can be placed on windows and other surfaces and still get nearly 20% efficiency." (Source)

Why would you want a solar roof? It will be less transparent and you'll be barely lucky to get a mile or two out of it in a day of full sun. It would raise costs for no benefit.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiver
Added weight, raised CG, hotter cabin, can't be opened, more expensive, less efficient, expensive to fix, and possibly less safe? For me personally, it's not an enticing option.

I would, however, like to see it be electrochromic, going from transparent to opaque at the touch of a button.

Added weight - do you have something to substantiate this? I'd imagine without an opening mechanism it would weigh less.
Hotter cabin - from the removal of the pillar? That's hardly a measurable increase.
More expensive - it's $500 less
Less efficient - there's no way smooth glass is going to be less efficient than a surface with seams. Opening a sunroof is definitely less efficient, though.
Expensive to fix - a solid piece of glass vs an equally large piece of glass with an opening mechanism..I don't see it
Less safe - Elon tweeted that the structural changes made it more safe and it received a 5+ in rollover

There will, however, be less noise and less potential for leaks. It all comes down to what options you value. To each his own!

Added weight - do you have something to substantiate this? I'd imagine without an opening mechanism it would weigh less.
Hotter cabin - from the removal of the pillar? That's hardly a measurable increase.
More expensive - it's $500 less
Less efficient - there's no way smooth glass is going to be less efficient than a surface with seams. Opening a sunroof is definitely less efficient, though.
Expensive to fix - a solid piece of glass vs an equally large piece of glass with an opening mechanism..I don't see it
Less safe - Elon tweeted that the structural changes made it more safe and it received a 5+ in rollover

There will, however, be less noise and less potential for leaks. It all comes down to what options you value. To each his own!
I should have clarified: I'm comparing to fixed body color roof, not pano.

Model S with all-glass roof.jpg
Model S with sunroof.jpg

I've just ordered a S with all-glass roof, which I think looks really good. The glass extends all the way to the top of the windscreen and to the sides, so there is quite a lot more than with the sunroof, and there is no bar across the centre, so the view from the rear should be better. It makes the car look like a big Model 3. Here are pictures for comparison.

I've just ordered a S with all-glass roof, which I think looks really good. The glass extends all the way to the top of the windscreen and to the sides, so there is quite a lot more than with the sunroof, and there is no bar across the centre, so the view from the rear should be better
A thread was started 3 weeks ago to discuss the new Model S glass roof option, see Model S now has glass roof option..

I wonder if that roof extension will make it more likely to get rock chips or cracks. I found the Model X windshield was surprisingly affordable so maybe it will not be thousands to fix.

Will make hail damage repair easy for the roof. Drive-in movies would be nice (do they still exist?)