TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Model S now vs Model 3 in a year

Discussion in 'Model S' started by 8bits, Mar 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. 8bits

8bits New Member

I've got a reservation on a M3 but I'm interested in the MS. It's hard to compare because all of the details of the M3 aren't available....... I've looked at the media articles comparing the two but I want to get the opinions of the current owners of the Model S. Also, some of the articles suggest that the current owners may be "sold out" by Tesla when the M3 debuts. Is there any indication that the MS will hold it's value? Will the MS always be it a class of it's own even if the battery is below 90D?

2. TSLATed

TSLATed Member

The answer to your question is somewhat dependent on your time horizon. If you typically own new cars for 2-3 years before selling / trading-in, then you’ll be hurt by depreciation regardless of the outcome of M3.

If you plan to own your Model S for 8 years (the length of the powertrain / battery warranty) and especially if you purchase an S60, your total cost of ownership should be quite low. Right now after the $7500 federal tax credit and $1000 referral credit you can purchase a brand new S60 for $59,500. Then you’re never buying gas, oil changes, or brakes ever again, so you’ll need to factor that in based on your typical mileage pattern. Putting that aside however, if your S60 is only worth $10k used at the end of your 8 year factory warranty for example, then it cost you $515 per month to own the car. I’ve left out the cost of tires since they need to be replaced on a Tesla just like an ICE car.

Your other options might include a CPO, but given the least expensive CPO available as of today is a 2013 S60 w/ 35k miles for $49k (P07852), I’d much rather get the 2017 S60 brand new @ $59.5k. Private party Model S sales on eBay Motors are going in the low $40k range now for good condition / low mileage 2013’s, so you might check there as well if that’s a possibility for you.

• Like x 1
  3. gene

gene Supporting Member

I'd go for the Model S now. The utility the Model S has with the hatchback and huge internal dimensions comes in handy.

4. Jashev

Jashev Supporting Member

I don't quite follow your numbers, 8bits. A new MS 60 with nothing but the premium package is $77,800. After incentives you're at $64k + sales tax. And that is for a relatively unequipped car. Since at that price you are not getting any of the autopilot features anyway, you might as well get a nicely equipped, low mileage CPO for at least $10k less with probably the larger battery. My CPO, which I got this past December was $54k with 22k miles on it and fully loaded as you can see below. If you are hung on new, or autopilot is a must, then the newer model makes more sense.

5. jschwefel

jschwefel VIN#1249

I was in the same position last spring and decided to go with a used Model S. I am so happy I did. Having the car for the last ten months has been awesome!!! I absolutely love it, even though it was twice what I had ever paid for a car previously. I still have my Model 3 reservation, but I can't imagine not having the Model S, and I know I can't drive both. I'm currently trying to talk my wife into driving the Model S, and so far it's working. She loves the car, but prefers the higher stance of the Model X. And that's not happening until we see some affordable CPOs on the market. :cool:

• Like x 1
  6. TSLATed

TSLATed Member

Base price for a brand new Model S 60kW with zero options is $68k in the USA. After the $1k referral credit brings the price down to $67k, then after the federal tax credit of $7.5k your price goes down to $59.5k. If your state has additional state-level tax credits, then it would be even less.

The OP was debating MS vs M3, so I felt it was important to compare a base S60 @ $59.5k since he/she may not be looking for a $70k - $80k vehicle if they originally considered M3 @ $35k+

Attached Files:

7. dsnows

dsnows Member

I also had a reservation for model three. In fact, still do. Truth is, you don't know exactly when you will get that car. Unless you are a very early reservation holder it might be up to two years. I decided I didn't want to wait and that the larger size of the model S would be beneficial. The lower pricing for the model three however it is very tempting.

8. Lithivm

Lithivm Member

I'm going thru the same thing. If you want AP or "D" CPO is not an option since cost is insane. I'm prob getting s60d...

9. dsnows

dsnows Member

Another thing to consider, if you buy one from the new inventory that was built in 2016, you get the free supercharging for life with it. If you order a new 2017 now, that will not be included. I found a 60 D in the new inventory that was configured pretty close to what I would have bought anyway. Ended up with a sunroof that I might not have gotten otherwise but it is nice. Also included the cold weather package which I probably would not have gotten but wasn't terribly expensive.

10. Pezpunk

Pezpunk Member

I would go with the S just because as others have said, it could be years before you get a 3. Plus the S is known to be great car. I have every belief the 3 will be as well, but the fact is the car doesn't exist yet.

As for resale, yes, the 3 will hurt the value of the S. You can't expect a tech company to not constantly upstage itself with new offerings. Those that don't, die.

11. EMP40

EMP40 Member

I am looking at that chioce in Q1 2018. The Model 3 may be too small and I worry about early production issues

12. ShockOnT

ShockOnT Quickish

Exactly the same for me, except I bought new. Very few used Teslas in Australia.

13. AirKuhl

AirKuhl Member

Cars are depreciating assets, stop worrying about the $$$'s. You have to drive something the next few years anyway, why deprive yourself of a Tesla?

Drive a MS for a couple of years and then decide if you want to replace it with a M3. It's a no-brainer.

• Like x 2
  14. P85DBeast

P85DBeast Side tEsLa

I would go with the Model S. Its always going to be in its own class.

15. bishoppeak

bishoppeak Member

The Model 3 is about 90% the size of a Model S with nearly the same size interior. By the time you could take delivery the bugs should all be worked out.

16. henderrj

henderrj Member

I pick up my used Model S from a third party tomorrow. I did actually cancel my Model 3 reservation. But then we own a Kia Soul EV as well. It's fine for around town. And autopilot one I think will be good enough for a long time for the road trips. Also I have free supercharging for life. So, obviously, I went for the S.

17. Jashev

Jashev Supporting Member

Okay, I see how you got there, sorry. I just can't imagine that anybody would buy this car with zero options. Given the choice between a base 60 and a loaded low mileage CPO with larger battery probably, for less money, seems like a no-brainer unless like I said, autopilot is a deal breaker. However, at the base 60, you are not getting that anyway.

18. Bet TSLA

Bet TSLA Member

And I was in the same position in 2014. Buy an S now, or wait for AWD (which supposedly meant the X, but turned out not to). I am so glad I just went ahead and bought the S. If I hadn't I would have missed out on months of driving it, which in retrospect would have been a terrible choice.

19. SD Diver

SD Diver Member

Same position here. Stood in line before the reveal for the model 3. Mid May, put a deposit on a 21xxx P85+. Have thoroughly enjoyed it since the 6/4/16 delivery. 3 weeks ago, ordered a 85 for my wife - within 400 of my vin but with a lot fewer miles. $51K. When my number roles around for the 3, I'll have to see what the numbers work out to. I either cancel the 3 or sell the P85+. Doubt that there will be much additional depreciation over what the CPO price was.

20. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Supporting Member

I'm in no great hurry. As long as I can get my Model 3 by summer '18, I'll be happy.