TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S October 2014 - Rear Lights

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by richrootes, Oct 4, 2014.

1. richrootes

richrootes Member

Just drove past the Vancouver service/delivery centre

Not sure if it was a trick of the light, but the rear light cluster on the new cars seemed to be more silvery/reflective than I'd seen before. Has anyone else noticed this?

2. Larry93428

Larry93428 Member

I haven't seen the rear lights. There is a news item (which I can't find again) showing a Tesla plugged in at a round port about 6" foreword of the tail light.
    May all be part of some new change.

3. timf

timf Member

The original prototypes had such an arrangement. Perhaps you were looking at a really old photo?

4. breser

breser AutoPilot Nostradamus

Haven't seen any differences on my vehicle was delivered on September 24th with respect to the rear lights.

5. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Okay, here's something I noticed that seems different to me. The other day, a Model S passed me on the freeway (daylight hours) and when he signalled his lane change, the bright red end of the tail light flashed, but so too did the entire rest of the "ring" but at its lower running light level. I thought that only the bright section lit under these circumstances. When I got home, I checked out my car and it does the same thing. If you use a turn signal or hit the brakes when the lighting system is off (daylight) the bright sections comes on (as you'd expect) but so does the rest of the lamp at it's dimmer running light level.

I was wondering if some firmware release changed this behavior, because I sure don't remember that it worked this was from new.

6. scottm

scottm Active Member

Pictures here would be worth lots of words.
    I will post a pic of my Sept.18 produced car tails when it is next daylight.

7. breser

breser AutoPilot Nostradamus

There are a number of tail light pictures in this thread about condensation in the trim applique that overlaps them. Including this picture of my September 16-19th 2014 produced S:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=60160&d=1411842287.jpg
    I don't see any significant difference from previous ones.

8. scottm

scottm Active Member

Stepping back a bit to see the whole taillight... this car was made early Sept.2014, delivered on 18

same car, same tail, in a couple different lighting conditions. car off, no brake lights applied.

this is left tail, driver's side, the chargeport is still the red triangle flap on that side

Attached Files:

9. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Member

#9 cgiGuy, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Not sure I completely understand which parts of the lights you're talking about, but here's a very early video showing all the lights (and the their functions in various states) to compare with:

I see what you're saying now.. and yeah, it looks like they changed it in software, as the video below is my car delivered Mar of 2013, on v6.0. I like it better the new way. Looks more complete vs half of the light coming on.

[video]http://www.eternal-visions.com/tail light.mov[/video]

10. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Thanks for the confirmation!