Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S OEM headlight installation

Mankirk

Supporting Member
Jun 19, 2017
Maryland
I have a 2013 Model S that needs new headlights due to seal ruptures in the case that allow moisture to seep in. I have one that regularly turns off while in use and last night they both went out as I was driving home after dark - only the fog lamps got me through. This morning they are working again, but...

I'm fine with staying with the HID models, but not fine with the $3,200 the Rockville Service Center just quoted me to replace them. Anyone know of a third party in Maryland or the greater Washington, D.C. area that can replace the headlights for less?

Has anyone bought OEM or previously-owned units and done this themselves?

• Funny
Reactions: Romand

Romand

Jun 13, 2016
Chicago
I have a 2013 Model S that needs new headlights due to seal ruptures in the case that allow moisture to seep in. I have one that regularly turns off while in use and last night they both went out as I was driving home after dark - only the fog lamps got me through. This morning they are working again, but...

I'm fine with staying with the HID models, but not fine with the $3,200 the Rockville Service Center just quoted me to replace them. Anyone know of a third party in Maryland or the greater Washington, D.C. area that can replace the headlights for less?

Has anyone bought OEM or previously-owned units and done this themselves?
Go to eBay u can get them both for less then 450.

Mankirk

Supporting Member
Jun 19, 2017
Maryland
Do you know of any videos on how to replace the headlight assembly? I see videos about replacing the bulbs, but that doesn't involve removing the whole assembly.

krsgio

Nov 8, 2018
Colorado
look up videos for people blacking out their housing for a DIY but basically if you can find out how to remove the bumper the headlight assembly is pretty straight forward.

edit: link

BigNick

Infamous Fat Sweaty Guy
Dec 3, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
Maybe remove the existing lights, allow them to try out and re-seal with Permatex first?
That's probably the furthest away from $3200 you can get.

krsgio

Nov 8, 2018
Colorado
Maybe remove the existing lights, allow them to try out and re-seal with Permatex first?
That's probably the furthest away from $3200 you can get.
headlight butyl is much better and easier to use than those rtv sealants. part of me thinks if the headlights keep going out then its more of an issue with the ballast.

Doanster1

Feb 14, 2018
Oregon
Path of least resistance first. Replace the bulbs. Moisture in the housing wouldn’t affect the bulbs as they are sealed/protected by the rubber dust caps. You should still get the seal issue taken care of, but getting new bulbs first is your best bet. Intermittent issues point to heat leading to the car not seeing the proper voltage, thereby turning one off. That’s why the post above said to turn the lights off and then back on again and the bulbs will re-ignite.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC