TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S on NSW High Performance Vehicle List

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by meloccom, Aug 6, 2014.

1. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

2. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I wonder if they would relax this if there was a lockable (PIN?) limiter available in the firmware. Maybe this will lead to the (finally!) release of valet mode and/or teenager mode.

3. TesAus

TesAus Member

That certainly helps make the point that this isn't just another Nissan leaf in fancy clothing?

I am not sure whether RMS would be sophisticated enough to allow P platers to drive if tortoise mode is engaged. How would Police know when pulling the car over?

4. timpoo

timpoo Member

5. JOH

JOH Member

6. Higgy

Higgy Member

P platers are banned from driving any of the Tesla models in Victoria.

Oddly enough my RX8 is not.....

7. kieranu

kieranu Member

Based on the stated power to tare mass ratio of 130kW per tonne the S85 squeaks in just shy at 128.6

8. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

Sorry to disappoint but I clicked further and found the P1\P2 search and:
    BannedTesla.jpg
    So only an S60 if you want the kids to drive it.

9. JOH

JOH Member

Which state? I was unable to find any such restriction for QLD.

10. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

yeah but seriously whose gonna let their 15 yr old kid take their $130k P85 out for a joy ride anyway??

11. TesAus

TesAus Member

The list is from the NSW Roads and Maritime Services website (so NSW).

- - - Updated - - -

In Australia you have to have 120 hours supervised driving as an L driver, then do a test and get your P1 probationary plates for I think about a year and do another test, then you have P2 probationary plates for about another year (not sure of exact durations). So this is not restricting 15 year olds, this is restricting up to 19 year olds if they start driving as soon as they can and pass all tests.

12. salamagd

salamagd Member

Yeah - in Victoria you can't get off your P plates until 22 now! Not sure whether the Model S is on the list down here, but that's a pretty big pain for anyone with kids up to that age.

13. Higgy

Higgy Member

All Tesla models are on the banned list in Victoria.

14. kieranu

kieranu Member

One thing we're more civilized about in WA but yeah even with a 22 year old kid I'd want a designated driver pretty badly to let him drive my $150k car

15. 420weblazeit

420weblazeit Banned

This is seriously retarded. Here in the UK, you can drive at 17, in South Dakota, USA - 14! UNSUPERVISED
    Restricting is really stupid. Here in the UK, people at 17 are restricted to 3L engines, nothing to do with power or price.
    Maybe go abroad and get an International Driving Permit to use in Aussie?

16. Higgy

Higgy Member

Not sure on what basis you consider that 'restricting is really stupid' - restrictions were brought in as P platers had a higher accident rate, and a higher injury/death rate to themselves as well as other road users.

Teenagers/young adults take time to develop decision making capability - this tends to manifest itself in poor judgement and inability to assess risk.

I taught my niece to drive in a sports car in a safe environment on the road and on the racetrack. She can drive, understands traffic and is very aware of her environment and other drivers....however, it is only after an accident (in a standard sedan) that she learnt her limitations and the need to temper her confidence. In a few more years she will be a good driver - at the moment she is a highly skilled one.

I for one like high performance cars but see the sense in not giving a lethal instrument to those who have yet to learn the limits of their skills and judgement.

Cheers
    David

17. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Agree heartily. In my day it was 18. In retrospect, still too young. I thought I was bulletproof. Did, in retrospect, many stupid things. Fortunately, I got away with them. More by luck than anything else!!

18. green1

green1 Active Member

"Sorry son, I'd love to lend you the car, but you know the government says I can't...." (crisis averted!)

19. StephenM

StephenM Active Member

I agree. We could really use some form of these types of laws stateside. It would save a lot of lives.