Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S on The Price Is Right

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
nice. I think this qualifies as Tesla Motors first "advertisement", it's likely Tesla donated the car to the show, they get lots of eyeballs watching the P.I.R., many if whom might be in the market for an SUV/CUV in a few years (think future soccor moms, Model X). certainly a well placed first placement...

Wow, that's nice. I hope it works for her - a 60 kWh car isn't a completely drive and forget kind of car - longer trips do take planning. Since she probably hasn't done any research on the car, I do hope someone at Tesla is going to hold her hand and make sure it works for her.

Wait, let me get this straight. They went for Red, Leather seats and chose the 60kwh? I hope at least they enabled superchargers.

I wonder if they customized it that way or bought an inventory car.

How come the options don't add up correctly to the final price? Seems the price is a tad low...

I added up the options and got 78,320.

I had the same reaction as her when my car showed up on the delivery truck :)

Sure hope she can come up with the $16k in taxes, unless they do a gross-up for the winnings.

Or perhaps she can take the cash-value, I don't know if TPIR works that way.

I was thinking this exact same thing. The taxes are going to kill her and she will more then likely sell the car immediately.

Thinking more on it. She could "re-finance" the car for the amount of the taxes and then have a 3 year note on 16k which would be about $500 a month (assuming a 3% interest rate).

AOPA (Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association), as well as other aviation focused organizations, holds a yearly sweepstakes for an airplane that they have restored. They'll buy a 30 year old plane and overhaul the airframe, engine, interior, exterior, and avionics running articles in their magazine featuring all the companies doing the restoration work. The had an article a few years back where they went to through the FAA registry and tracked down the current owners of the aircraft they had given away. I couldn't find the article with a quick google search, but as I remember, 50% of the aircraft would get sold within 6 months. The primary reason was to pay for the taxes. The winners still come out way ahead on the deal (sold at market price and just had to pay the taxes on the value of the plane) and frequently would use the profits from the sale to buy a "more affordable" airplane.

She was going to give the car away to her brother.

Which I think means she has an acceptable car while her brother does not.

She can sell her current car and least pay some of that tax liability too.

She qualifies for the CA $2500 rebate although the federal tax credit may not do her any good.