Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S on the Track - A Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the only problem with regen on the S is it will heat everything up a little faster if it is left in normal regen.
It doesn't 'upset the car' in balance and is kindof nice as ling as you wont be hitting heat/power limits on the course. For AutoX I don't find that regen makes much difference since you are so hard on the brakes for all of the stopping. For a big track/hillclmb definitely turn it down / off

For AutoX I don't find that regen makes much difference since you are so hard on the brakes for all of the stopping. For a big track/hillclmb definitely turn it down / off
I instinctually think this is the "right" answer for "car behavior" at both venues. Personally though I leave it on Standard in both cases. Part of the reason I'm at such events is to correct and improving driving habits and skills for daily and travel driving. As such, I don't like twiddling a bunch of knobs that make the car behave differently.

Also, I'm not at the point in driving skills where I need to start twiddling knobs, switching to slicks, turning off TC, etc.

Elon made some interesting comments in the MIT presentation which relate to the track performance of Model S, and confirm what many of us have suspected about motor cooling limitations, especially in cooling the rotor. Interesting that they are using coaxial cooling. Comments are around the 49 minute mark.

AeroAstro Centennial Webcast

Q: I’ve got a question about the Tesla automobile. I understand the drive motor is on the order of 250 horsepower and only weighs 70 pounds which is multiple horsepower per pound. I’ve worked in the transit industry and I’ve never seen a motor other than one that weighs multiple pounds per horsepower, the opposite way, so you have an advantage of an order of magnitude. Some of it can be explained by high speed, can you explain how you achieve that?

A: Actually if power to weight ratio is of interest to you, rocket turbo pumps really take the cake. The turbo pump on the Merlin engine generates 10,000 horsepower and weighs 150 pounds. Well, fuel efficiency is a separate question <laughs>. But power to weight, it’s at the ragged edge of pulling those molecules apart. It’s kind of amazing you can get 10,000 horsepower in this thing you can basically pick up.

For electric motors, if you have a properly designed AC induction motor, getting a high power to weight ratio and a really great response rate, low latency and all that, extremely low ripple current, it just kind of comes naturally to an AC induction motor. The bigger challenge is actually cooling it effectively, and then particularly cooling the rotor. You’ve got this rotor going at 18,000 rpm, so in the Model S we coaxially cool the rotor in order to have high steady state. Also for an electric motor it’s easy to get peak power for a short period of time, but it’s hard to have sustained peak power, because you overheat. It’s hard to get high efficiency over a complicated drive cycle. Those tend to be the problems we wrestle with more than the peak power. We can get peak power pretty easily, but sustained power and efficiency over the drive cycle are hard.

Thanks for catching this gem, djp. So the rotor in Model S motor is actively cooled by running the coolant straight through the rotor axes. This actualy is bad news - it means there ain't no more low hanging fruits i.e. no easy way to improve rotor cooling and extend high performance. Lower weight and more (liqiuid cooled) motors will imrpove things a bit but will not transform a nonracer into a racer.