Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S on Top Gear?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Besides, Chris (former BBC Radio 1 "bad boy", and also fired by the BBC) has mellowed way down now and is back on BBC Radio 2. I love how some of the bookies are touting Chris Moyles as a replacement, basically because he's a bit large and kind of mouthy; give the BBC some credit, they're smarter than to just try and replace like for like, they have a legacy of sucessfully rebooting major brands (and cokcing some up, but still...)

- - - Updated - - -

And to be clear, May, Hammond, and Clarkson all publicly agreed that if any one of them is fired or quits, they're all leaving the show. They may or may not follow through, but they've all confirmed the agreement. The timing here is interesting, because all three of their contracts are up at the end of this month. Sky has been conspiring to steal all three of them for some sort of new motoring show for some time now, so it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

They also have an agreement that if one of them dies while filming, then the show will go on, confirmed in the first show on the new season that followed Hammond's very-near-death experience in the rocket car (and also confirmed in his book). They all have their own gig's now, so certainly don't need TG, but I agree with others that changing up the main presenter but keeping May and Hammond could make for a really interesting dynamic.

They also have an agreement that if one of them dies while filming, then the show will go on, confirmed in the first show on the new season that followed Hammond's very-near-death experience in the rocket car (and also confirmed in his book). They all have their own gig's now, so certainly don't need TG, but I agree with others that changing up the main presenter but keeping May and Hammond could make for a really interesting dynamic.

So is the implication that the BBC should have Clarkson killed so they can continue the show with a new host? ;-)

Was just having a discussion about this with my son and we were talking about examples of the type of character that might work. One that I came up with was Chris Evans (Ginger Guy) who is a car enthusiast and almost as abrasive as JC when he wants to be. Not sure how many North Americans know who he is but he's been on Top Gear a few times.

I would like to add my two cents,

i think jc should be replaced by no other that Steve sutcliffe for autocar.uk. Great presenter, excellent driver and most importantly did a great review of the tesla model s in 2013.

steve sutcliffe is the man. Google his review of the tesla model s from autocar.

btw, my car is in transit from the factory. My guesstimate is about two week... At my door.

- - - Updated - - -

We need someone pro electric cars to take his place.

I say say it again. Steve sutcliffe from autocar uk. Loves electric cars! Out with clarkson... In with sutcliffe.

Top Gear is dead. The last episode was the weakest I have seen. And I think they know it. Clarkson even reviewed a car he had reviewed before. They have run out of ideas. But the real thing that has killed it is the P85d. Every week they purposefully ignore it, they slip further into irrelevance. When they review the I8 or when they send an unaffordable HyperCar around the track, or do a drag race, and they don't mention Tesla they weaken themselves whereas I am (and you are) thinking that a P85d can do that better. I want to see the Stig take the p85d around the track!
Sure, Clarkson has got the BBC over a barrel, and it's probably a scam so he can defect to Murdochs channels, but that won't save what was once a great format from obsolescence

Last edited:
Top Gear is dead. The last episode was the weakest I have seen. And I think they know it. Clarkson even reviewed a car he had reviewed before. They have run out of ideas. But the real thing that has killed it is the P85d. Every week they purposefully ignore it, they slip further into irrelevance. When they review the I8 or when they send an unaffordable HyperCar around the track, or do a drag race, and they don't mention Tesla they weaken themselves whereas I am (and you are) thinking that a P85d can do that better. I want to see the Stig take the p85d around the track!
Sure, Clarkson has got the BBC over a barrel, and it's probably a scam so he can defect to Murdochs channels, but that won't save what was once a great format from obsolescence

Wow.

Pretty good! Gets my +1. :)

And the thing is, driving a car around a track isn't as important as it used to be, since cars like the Model S run out of (the proverbial, not literal) steam before the end of the track, I think, but it's still being heralded as an amazing car without any decent track performance. Better leave that for racing cars, and just let road cars try to be awesome road cars.

I'll second that 'wow' above, because you are bang on correct.

How about Susie Wolff or Katherine Legge for a host. Female car enthusiasts, british, better drivers than maybe even the stig. You'd just have to work the show around their real careers...

And the thing is, driving a car around a track isn't as important as it used to be, since cars like the Model S run out of (the proverbial, not literal) steam before the end of the track, I think, but it's still being heralded as an amazing car without any decent track performance. Better leave that for racing cars, and just let road cars try to be awesome road cars.

This. The track is useful for testing, but one shouldn't put too much emphasis on tracking a road car.

JC notably liked the Miata. Did he ever go off-roading with one, or try to tow a boat with it? Well, no. That's not what it's made for.

The Roadster. . . A lot of people had trouble figuring out what it was made for. It's enough like an Elise, which is a fantastic track car, that you can sort of understand some people trying to evaluate it in those terms. IMHO, The Roadster is a fantastic expressway road warrior. This guy got it: Road Test: 2011 Tesla Roadster 2.5 Sport [Review] - YouTube

And that brings up a larger problem for Top Gear. We have the internet now. We have YouTube. They don't have a monopoly on this schtick anymore.

This thread is full of posts taking Top Gear wayyyy too seriously.

I agree. It is an entertainment show not a true car review show. I want to see a P85D on there as much as the next guy but since they can't make fun of it without worrying about getting sued it will never happen. I understand why Tesla was sensitive about the roadster debacle at the time being a new upstart pushing the car envelope but at the end of the day people watch top gear to see the hosts make fun of themselves, each other and especially the cars. No one asigns consumer report car review credibility to a top gear car review. The best segments of the show are when they buy a cheap car and go on somekind of massive journey and at the end of the trip nothing is holding the car together but duct tape and some string.

Love Top Gear no other show has shown a Koenigsegg on a track or a Bentley doing rally cross and a host of exotics just being taken to the limit.

As for ever having the D or any Tesla on the show.... I sincerely hope it never happens because guaranteed it wont make it round the track (especially if the Stig is behind the wheel) before limp mode kicks in and then JC (if he's back) will have a field day slagging it off.

Love Top Gear no other show has shown a Koenigsegg on a track or a Bentley doing rally cross and a host of exotics just being taken to the limit.

As for ever having the D or any Tesla on the show.... I sincerely hope it never happens because guaranteed it wont make it round the track (especially if the Stig is behind the wheel) before limp mode kicks in and then JC (if he's back) will have a field day slagging it off.

Even if it did make it round on full power (it should be ale to for a couple of laps) I suspect the time would be mediocre in comparison to cars with similar straight line performance, it is after all a big comfortable car, suited for the road. (Being slightly controversial, I suspect it would be pipped by a Panamera Turbo S, given the Tesla's weight disadvantage.)

If I put my "what angle would TG use to feature the car" head on, it would be Elon's own claims about the performance vs the McLaren F1...

...JC would poke lots of fun with the resultant lap times ;)

Sooo, with Clarkson facing the sack, might this make a Model S appearance on Top Gear possible again?

But then, would an appearance on top gear even mean anything anymore without JC?
At least personally I would stop watching the show as soon as JC is gone. Hopefully the two others would join him and make a new show on another channel. Then I'd clearly watch that.

At least personally I would stop watching the show as soon as JC is gone. Hopefully the two others would join him and make a new show on another channel. Then I'd clearly watch that.
With the BBC supposedly intending to carry on Top Gear no matter what happens (according to the Independent report), you have to feel bad for whoever takes over the show. If you're not instantly successful at it, everyone will think you ruined the show and never tune back in. They'll almost have to go with a no-name cast. I would be terribly surprised if any of the already-successful people being talked about for the roles would get anywhere near that show and risk becoming "the person who ruined Top Gear."

With the BBC supposedly intending to carry on Top Gear no matter what happens (according to the Independent report), you have to feel bad for whoever takes over the show. If you're not instantly successful at it, everyone will think you ruined the show and never tune back in. They'll almost have to go with a no-name cast. I would be terribly surprised if any of the already-successful people being talked about for the roles would get anywhere near that show and risk becoming "the person who ruined Top Gear."

I'm sure that their salary would help them get over it.