Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S on Top Gear?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dunno...maybe the BBC will change the mandate of the show and force them to perform actual, honest car reviews...

With the BBC supposedly intending to carry on Top Gear no matter what happens (according to the Independent report), you have to feel bad for whoever takes over the show. If you're not instantly successful at it, everyone will think you ruined the show and never tune back in. They'll almost have to go with a no-name cast. I would be terribly surprised if any of the already-successful people being talked about for the roles would get anywhere near that show and risk becoming "the person who ruined Top Gear."

With the BBC supposedly intending to carry on Top Gear no matter what happens (according to the Independent report), you have to feel bad for whoever takes over the show. If you're not instantly successful at it, everyone will think you ruined the show and never tune back in. They'll almost have to go with a no-name cast. I would be terribly surprised if any of the already-successful people being talked about for the roles would get anywhere near that show and risk becoming "the person who ruined Top Gear."

Charlie Sheen took over after Michael J. Fox on Spin City. Series ended shortly after.
New main characters that I don't remember took over in Scrubs. Series ended shortly after.
Ashton Kutcher took over after Charlie Sheen in Two and Half Men. Was it two more seasons? I can't recall...

Anyway, there's a trend there.

Yeah, definitely a poisoned chalice though I think the BBC is taking most of the blame for "ruining Top Gear". Either way, there will be a vocal contingent of fans who attack anyone who dares to step into Jeremy's shoes. I for one think the backlash to this is outrageous. I have enjoyed Top Gear and I enjoy the dynamic that Jeremy Clarkson brings - including much of the irreverence. That being said, NOBODY no matter how famous or talented should be allowed to bully or abuse other people in the workplace. The fact that the BBC is willing to stand up for this principle even though they will almost certainly lose money is something they should be praised for. Unfortunately, this may be less about principles than it is about trying to lose the taint of other personalities who have committed much worse abuses that were allowed to operate without sanction - not mentioning any names. Whatever the motivation, this is the right thing to do. For most of us mere mortals, punching a co-worker could and probably would lead to assault charges let alone dismissal. I suppose they could have mandated anger management or some kind of remedial program but I think given the history and Jeremy's persona, a clean break here is the best for all parties. If BBC want to continue Top Gear, there will be an outcry from Jeremy's disciples and ultimately the chemistry will probably never be quite the same; however, the other ingredients will still have some appeal and there are many very talented people that could step in and provide great entertainment if they are allowed (and willing).

Meh...maybe millions watch TG, but many, many millions more don't...

I mean, that's obviously true, but they're clearly not interested in watching car review shows, either. Top Gear had a viewership of about 350 million per week. There are car review shows, and they don't pull even a tiny fraction of that audience. Fifth Gear got cancelled for poor ratings (142k/episode when on Discovery). MotorWeek is a car review show on PBS so it has unbiased reviews, but how many people tune in to watch? Top Gear was successful because it was not a car review show, and trying to turn it into one will unquestionably kill it.

Yeah, definitely a poisoned chalice though I think the BBC is taking most of the blame for "ruining Top Gear". Either way, there will be a vocal contingent of fans who attack anyone who dares to step into Jeremy's shoes. I for one think the backlash to this is outrageous. I have enjoyed Top Gear and I enjoy the dynamic that Jeremy Clarkson brings - including much of the irreverence. That being said, NOBODY no matter how famous or talented should be allowed to bully or abuse other people in the workplace. The fact that the BBC is willing to stand up for this principle even though they will almost certainly lose money is something they should be praised for. Unfortunately, this may be less about principles than it is about trying to lose the taint of other personalities who have committed much worse abuses that were allowed to operate without sanction - not mentioning any names. Whatever the motivation, this is the right thing to do. For most of us mere mortals, punching a co-worker could and probably would lead to assault charges let alone dismissal. I suppose they could have mandated anger management or some kind of remedial program but I think given the history and Jeremy's persona, a clean break here is the best for all parties. If BBC want to continue Top Gear, there will be an outcry from Jeremy's disciples and ultimately the chemistry will probably never be quite the same; however, the other ingredients will still have some appeal and there are many very talented people that could step in and provide great entertainment if they are allowed (and willing).

I think a lot of the support to this point was that we still didn't know what happened. There were rumors of it being physical, but other sources said it was a verbal attack. Neither is particularly appealing, but while you might be able to write off an infantile verbal tirade, certainly punching a producer in the face is a line you can't cross. Confirmation that it was the latter hadn't happened officially until today. You'd have to be a pretty blind supporter to think the BBC was unjustified in taking this action.

At least personally I would stop watching the show as soon as JC is gone. Hopefully the two others would join him and make a new show on another channel. Then I'd clearly watch that.

At least personally I would restart watching the show as soon as JC is gone. Hopefully the two others would stick around, they're not too bad, but they were pulled down into the mud by Clarkson.

I grew up in the UK and watched Top Gear decades ago when William Woolard was the anchor... it was a worthwhile show. Now it's just a series of shallow joke sketches... "Fifth Gear" is something you go to for actual tests.

I think James & Richard should anchor the show and have a third presenter that changes out each season to keep things fresh. Each guest presenter could bring an individual flavour to the show.

This way, they could use people like Roan Atkinson, as his schedule wouldn't be owned by Top Gear forever; then Mike Brewer, then Chris Harris and so on.

I just read an article about Clarkson getting sacked... BBC decides not to renew s contract - Yahoo Celebrity CA

Looks like the judge erred in his decision in the matter Tesla Motors vs. Top Gear...I found this Guinness reference much more amusing than anything TG ever did...

"The Guinness Book of World Records has described "Top Gear" as the world's most widely watched factual program. It broadcasts to 214 territories worldwide and has an estimated global audience of 350 million."

At least personally I would restart watching the show as soon as JC is gone. Hopefully the two others would stick around, they're not too bad, but they were pulled down into the mud by Clarkson.

I grew up in the UK and watched Top Gear decades ago when William Woolard was the anchor... it was a worthwhile show. Now it's just a series of shallow joke sketches... "Fifth Gear" is something you go to for actual tests.

I think James & Richard should anchor the show and have a third presenter that changes out each season to keep things fresh. Each guest presenter could bring an individual flavour to the show.

This way, they could use people like Roan Atkinson, as his schedule wouldn't be owned by Top Gear forever; then Mike Brewer, then Chris Harris and so on.
Fifth Gear actually was the show you remember. Top Gear got cancelled in 2001 for poor ratings and nearly all the staff and some of the hosts started on Fifth Gear on Channel 5 as a spiritual successor in 2002. Fifth Gear stopped filming back in 2013, though. It almost even kept the Top Gear name during the move, but the BBC was publishing a successful magazine at the time and didn't want to give it up. When Top Gear relaunched it had a different format than the original, moving away from focusing on car reviews.

James and Richard are sticking with Jeremy. Both have already stated officially that they're done with Top Gear and will let their contracts expire this month. When the show continues in 2016 it will have a new batch of presenters (or a single presenter, I suppose).

Clarkson may be obnoxious and perhaps, if reports are to be trusted, really stepped over a line this time - but there also has been plenty of UK politics behind the issue(s). Clarkson has made enemies and I don't think all of them, nor all the criticism he has gathered over the years, is warranted.

I'm certainly not interested in a Top Gear without the trio. But I would be interested in a new show featuring the three.

That said, if Clarkson really punched someone, that should be dealt with according to law of course.

Exactly, totally agree

I think it is important to understand that, while this affects its commercial arm most, BBC overall is a government organization and it is basically run by past and present politicians. There certainly are politics behind how certain Clarkson topics have been exaggerated. When politics and business meet, it isn't always pretty.

Now, that doesn't excuse punching anyone if he did so (in fact I think that would be better for the law, not a corporate enquiry), but I think this background is important to note when considering some of the past. Clarkson has many enemies on political fronts and also some politicians are looking for extra points for any public backlash against him...

Last edited:
Sky have been trying to get the trio on there channels for years. So Clarkson will probably carryon topgear under a different name on their channel.

On the BBC they should get Edd and Mike from Wheeler Dealers and Robert LLewelyn from fully charged and scrapheap challenge.

Topgear wont be as popular being a car show but it wont be so anti-ev. Well as long as they drop the Shell sponsorship.:rolleyes:

Sky have been trying to get the trio on there channels for years. So Clarkson will probably carryon topgear under a different name on their channel.

On the BBC they should get Edd and Mike from Wheeler Dealers and Robert LLewelyn from fully charged and scrapheap challenge.

Topgear wont be as popular being a car show but it wont be so anti-ev. Well as long as they drop the Shell sponsorship.:rolleyes:

I think some Sky exec recently said they wouldn't touch Clarkson due to the N word debacle - where Clarkson cited the original version of the nursery rhyme and mumbled the N word part, apparently not too well for the liking of some... politically charged people. Now it lives on and other politically correct people with "diversity targets" stay away.

Hey, charge man for beating someone if that's what happened. I would have sympathized had the Sky executive said that violence would be reason to steer clear (assuming it turns out that's what happened). But an old nursery rhyme mumbled wrong in a piece that didn't even broadcast when it was noted one might be able to make out the word in the rhyme even though he mubled it...

Some of the stuff surrounding Clarkson is pure politics and/or political correctness and unfortunately that may spill over to other commercial players as well, who don't want the controversy that follows.

If BBC does continue with TG I just hope Guy Martin gets the job. Matter of fact, dry sense of humour, won't pander to convention, but much less likely to go into quite the levels of anti-PC taboos that got Clarkson in trouble.

I really think a lot of the JC fans (and I don't actually think people are fans of JC himself, rather the forthright views he brings), would be placated, at least in the UK market.

I suspect his accent might be a slight issue internationally.

Plus he's not very good with names (here is talking through his lap of Isle of Man TT)
GUY MARTIN TT Isle of Man Lap on-board Honda 1000 - 1 of 2 - YouTube

I think it is important to understand that, while this affects its commercial arm most, BBC overall is a government organization and it is basically run by past and present politicians.

For our American friends: the BBC is a state broadcaster where the Trustees are appointed by the Queen (although the Government makes recommendations). It would not be correct to say it's run by past and present politicians....

The BBC Trust currently comprises:

P.S. Neither is the Director-General a present or past politician. Out of the additional 12 members of the Executive Management board, only 1 was previously in politics.

Last edited:
It would be wrong for the BBC to do anything other than what they have done. As funny as Clarkson was, he now just looks like a bitter, grumpy old man and is behaving in a way that is inappropriate. The BBC have much more than commercial interests to consider.