TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S - One Year Lease or Long-Term Rental in South Florida?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ufcpa, Oct 24, 2015.

1. ufcpa

ufcpa New Member

Looking for thoughts regarding the potential to find a 1 year lease or rental of a 2014 or newer Model S in South Florida. Thanks.

2. MileHighMotoring

Buy one and sell it in a year. I don't know if you can find a lease that short or a rental that long. I've never heard of a rented Tesla in the first place.

3. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

What milehigh said. It'd be cheaper to buy a 2014 CPO that fits your needs and sell it within a year than to either rent or lease one for 1 year.

4. ChadFeldheimer

Buying a car and selling after one year is a bit expensive due to the sales tax expense on the purchase (you won't get any of the 6+% sales tax back when you sell).

I believe Tesla only provides 3 year leases. You can terminate a 3 year lease after 1 year, but you will pay early termination fees (basically, 2 extra payments plus the expenses incurred by the bank to sell the car).

One option for renting for a year is to work out a deal with an individual. There are at least a few MS in Florida on relayrides.

5. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

I've got a rented Tesla in my driveway right now - the second one I've rented on Relayrides (this one a 70 rwd with autpilot - which is facking AMAZEBALLS). Sorry I just had to say that - I just drove it 30 miles on the 10 freeway in so-cal and felt like I was in a science fiction film.

6. MileHighMotoring

RelayRides for Tesla run around $200+ per day to rent. That's $73k for a year. I think the owners are insane given the repair costs right now. I'd hate to be an owner if the car gets totaled and try to collect the proper amount to replace the vehicle.

7. Vgsllc1

Vgsllc1 Member

leasing would cost $17.5k for 12 months (if Tesla has 1 yr lease)

8. MileHighMotoring

Not really. They'd calculate the depreciation most over the first year. I'd bet it'd be surprising that you'd probably spend almost as much as a 2-year lease for a 1-year lease because the big thing you're paying for is that depreciation.

9. ChadFeldheimer

Seems like you ought to be able to haggle a quantity discount.

I agree that at $200/day, the risk/reward seems skewed against the owner.