Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S options by year - a running history

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Wiki

Mar 21, 2016
TESLA MODEL S - OPTIONS BY YEAR WIKI
A Running History of the Tesla Model S
Last update: 14 December, 2016 by ARTinCT

Introduction: This WIKI is an attempt to log all hardware and design studio changes for the Tesla Model S. This doesn't include software/firmware changes. There is another WIKI for that which can be found here.

Hardware changes to the Model S are not limited to model years. Tesla makes changes to the hardware throughout the year and these changes go into production immediately without waiting for the next model year. Therefore even though VIN numbers show what year the car was manufactured in, this has no meaning in regards to the options and hardware in the car other than providing a rough idea. To find out what hardware version a specific Tesla has, one would have to compare the production date to a hardware change log like this.

Thanks to the search feature of TMC, AnOutsider (for his wonderful historic grabs of the early Design Studio) BerTEX, Cosmacelf, Cyclone, irvineboy, jerry33, NOLA_Mike, TROY and many others who helped jog my memory and provided important details.

Also great thanks to TMC'er sebxx (Sebastien B) who took the time to reformat the original Options By Year Wiki into the newer Google Docs format. This was necessary as the new TMC forum software no longer supported the table format in its native editor. Edit access will be limited to just a handful of users and if you make suggestions in the posts below, we shall make every effort to accommodate you.

Thanks All and Enjoy!

The NEW OPTIONS BY YEAR WIKI is now in Google Docs and is located here ->

Model S - Options by Year - Tesla Motors Club Wiki

Attachments

• SQ5Qknk.gif
    SQ5Qknk.gif
    1 KB · Views: 2,264
Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic work! I'm the sort who gets excited every time there's a small Design Studio change, so reading through this was very interesting! There are some typos and formatting mistakes, so I'll help touch up those when I have some time. Thanks for putting this together!

I hope you all find this WIKI of some value.
I suspect that those looking at previously owned Tesla Model S cars will find this history valuable.
Enjoy.

Also, if you have some data to add or change or correct, please do so and make sure to put a small blurb in to the edit reason.

Thanks!
ARTinCT

This is excellent. Do you happen to also have the pricing for all the options, as well as the base prices for each trim? It would be superb to be able to calculate the exact original build price of a particular build for any model and year.

Regarding the Folding Side Rear View Mirrors, as stated: "The power folding, heated exterior rear view side mirrors were added to the Tech package in late 2013." Will you please confirm the accuracy of this. I believe it was and is still possible to get folding exterior rear view mirrors WITHOUT HEATED option. The heated mirrors are a different option.
Please confirm this.

Regarding the Folding Side Rear View Mirrors, as stated: "The power folding, heated exterior rear view side mirrors were added to the Tech package in late 2013." Will you please confirm the accuracy of this. I believe it was and is still possible to get folding exterior rear view mirrors WITHOUT HEATED option. The heated mirrors are a different option.
Please confirm this.

The Power-Folding heated side mirrors are standard equipment. I do not believe you can order them now without heating elements. I hope this answers your question? Thanks, Art.

Hi. I added the contents section at the beginning. There is no way to add or remove "Contents" section directly. It is added automatically when there are a few headers. Headers are titles that are wrapped in header tags like this:

2012 EXTERIOR[ /h] You select the title, press the H button and enter a number like 2 or 3. H1 or H2 headers become the main categories in contents section. Currently the main categories are the four year names. H3 or later tags become the sub categories. If you switch to code view using the A/A button, this is easier to see.

The normal view doesn't show header tags. Instead it shows small square boxes of dotted lines next to each header. While working on another wiki I incorrectly deleted those boxes assuming they were tables. They are not. They are header tags. It is much easier to understand in code view.

ArtInCT if you don't like the contents section, let me know and I can remove it or you can remove it. It is your wiki.

Matteo: You have done a wonderful job on the contents section and the formatting. Many thanks to you. Greatly Appreciated by ALL. :smile:

BTW, I really like your SuperCharger Time Calculator....

It even works in NUMBERS on the iPad however there, the pull down for the car type does not function. Dunno why.
It works perfectly in Excel for MAC.

What a great tool.... see Matteo's signature line for that great STC (SuperCharger Time Calculator)

Regarding : "On oabout the second week of August, after the summer production line one week shutdown, at about the time when the 90 models began being produced, the rear chrome facia underwent a new design which has more pronounced raised TESLA lettering and a newly designed upturned opening in the area of the rear lenses. This new design will apparently not catch or trap water. This change was unannounced by Tesla Motors."
My 70D was reported finished on the 15. july and has the new chrome list :
IMG_3806-1.JPG

Hey Troy that is a nice effort. I had never thought of a table design... In looking at it, can you perhaps make it chronological oldest to newest? When one wants to add a row other than at the top,
say in the middle somewhere due to a new fact being discovered in history (happens a lot), can you add a row in the middle of the table? Or are we limited to adding a row only at the top?

Lastly, does the table contain ALL of the prose in the outline form or a subset?

In the table motif, I think a good design would be: YEAR | GENERAL / INTERIOR / EXTERIOR / DRIVING DYNAMICS | Description of Change

Your thoughts...

Can you perhaps make it chronological oldest to newest?

Done. Now 2015 is at the bottom.

can you add a row in the middle of the table?
Yes. 1. Click edit. 2. If you don't see the 9 table buttons, on the bottom right, click "go advanced". 3. Place your mouse cursor on any row. Click "insert row before" button or "insert row after" button. There is also a button to delete rows. If you keep your mouse over the buttons, a tooltip will show the button label.

Lastly, does the table contain ALL of the prose in the outline form or a subset?
The table contains all entries in the article. I made some changes to the introduction section. I removed the comment about VIN numbers. You can put it back if you want.

In the table motif, I think a good design would be: YEAR | GENERAL / INTERIOR / EXTERIOR / DRIVING DYNAMICS | Description of Change
OK. I added a header row. If you want to change the color, switch to code view. To do that,
1. Click edit. 2. Click the button on top left that looks like this
ieZqUgp.gif
to switch to code view. 3. To replace the color code, pick a new color on this page. For example, for blue you could use #00CCFF

Your thoughts...
I think your content is suitable for a table because it has three columns. In the future if you want you could add new columns for things like, external links, links to pictures or links relevant forum topics. If you decide to add more columns, select last column and click the "insert column after" button. The table makes things easier for the reader because it is easier to scan with your eyes but if you decide that you don't like the table idea, just delete it. Good luck.

Hi ArtInCT,

I'm glad that you decided to switch to a table version. I created a second table with the following changes. If you like them, you could delete the orange table. If you don't like them, delete the blue table. If you like some of the changes but not all of them, let me know which item below you don't like and I can remove it from the blue table or you could remove it yourself. It is your wiki. Good luck.

1. I removed two titles that seem unnecessary.
  2. I removed the h2 formatting from "introduction"
  3. I removed blank rows between categories like interior, exterior.
  4. I changed the background color of the header row to blue
  5. I added grey background color to year dividers so they are easier to see as you scroll down the page quickly.
  6. I removed the confusing comment about VIN numbers and added a new comment.
  7. I moved all text at the bottom to top.
  8. I changed background color of the table and opening text from grey to white. To do that another table was added that wraps all content including the introduction section.
  9. I changed font to arial. I think it is more readable in Firefox than the default unspecificed font.
  10. I changed the text under "To Editors" section.