Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S options by year - a running history

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We say goodbye to the S85, S85D and P85D!

Art, great updates... thank you! :cool:
I was not surprised to see the 85kWh models deleted ... they left the Canadian market a few months back.
I was a bit surprised to see the Carbon Spoiler priced at $1,500 as they are available aftermarket for $200.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fibe...ash=item2a4a1740a6:g:ys0AAOSwc3ZUqJ3W&vxp=mtr

2016 February
General
On February 8, 2016, Tesla Motors quietly removed the 85 kWh traction battery from the Design Studio which made the powertrain options as follows:

70 Rear Motor Only
70D Dual Motor
90D Dual Motor
P90D Performance Dual Motor
P90D Ludicrous Performance Dual Motor (Sometime referred to as P90DL)

The Range Upgrade option was also eliminated from the Design Studio. The Range Option turned the formerly avialable 85 into a 90.
Interior
The small silver button on the Cruise Control / Auto Pilot control stalk was removed in a redesign. First being reported in early 2016 Model S cars.
2016 February
Exterior
The rear carbon fiber spoiler was added to the Tesla Motors TESLA GEAR Accessories website product as an after market item. The rear carbon fibre spoiler, prior to this, was only available as a Design Studio option if the Model S was a P or Performance version such as the P90D. It now can be ordered, post delivery, for any Model S. It must be delivered to and installed by the Tesla Service Center.

Nice work!

I might add a small nit to pick. The Fremont factory that Tesla purchased and is manufacturing their vehicles in was the old NUMMI plant, and not the MUMMI plant.

Editing these types of pages is above my pay grade! :smile:

FLATSix911:

BTW I have always liked that engine....

Yes, the carbon fibre spoiler is a dearly priced item... from Tesla.
I did not order it on my P90D.... I have in my possession one from Ebay which came from China.
I am not sure if I will ever put it on the P90D. I have to see if the car appears ok without it.
I had a spoiler on my Lexus SC300 and SC400 in years gone bye....
One thing that used to drive me nuts was that tell tale dribble of water that would tear drop out from under the spoiler after a wash.
Even a blow dry using a leaf blower would not stop that tear drop..... Arrgggchhhh.

As a rule I do not incorporate the price of options in the List of Options.... I wonder if I should or would it be confusing to
AsiaPAC and Euro Model S owners and prospective owners???

This is incorrect:

2012 Exterior The original exterior color selections were:
Non-Metalic: Black, White
Metallic: Grey, Green, Brown, Blue, Pearl White, Silver, Red.

Red wasn't part of the original exterior color selections for Production. It came later, presumably as a nod to Sig Red -- giving it a grace period to be "the only red" available for Model S.

2013 Interior Heated front seats with memory settings became available in January 2013. The memory was dropped from the standard seats in late February 2013. The Performance "P" cars were offered with front Performance Seats that had a colored piping.

I find the phrasing on this confusing or incorrect (depending on interpretation).

My Sig delivered in Nov 2012 has heated front seats with memory settings.

July 17, 2015 ...
On September 25, 2015 Tesla Motors announced in the Accessories Tesla Gear website the Ludicrous Mode P85D Upgrade. The upgrade is for existing P85D Model S which were ordered before July 17, 2015. These US based cars will be able to order the Ludicrous Moded P85D Upgrade for a total of $7,500 (hardware and labor). The P85D rear hatch logo will also be updated with a chrome underline denoting Ludicrous Mode. The upgrade SC's will be determined as the program rolls out and appears to be regionalized (not every SC will be performing the upgrade). Owners must pre-order the upgrade online....

This pricing was later revised to $5,000. Perhaps I missed it, but I didn't see this noted.

The décor choice of "Banana Leaf" is missing from the history.

From March 26, 2012:
It's time to build your Model S
When we first conceived the Performance version of Model S, we designed it to have a carbon fiber interior décor. Over the past two months, there have been lots of requests by future Model S Performance owners to make all interior décors available, so we have now added Piano Black, Lacewood and Banana Leaf decors as available options. We have also made the Rear Spoiler optional.

The phrasing makes it clear that Banana Leaf was available for non-Performance before that date.

I might have missed it, but in case not: The rear diffuser was originally chrome for the tech package and matte black otherwise. Some tech package owners paid aftermarket money to wrap the chrome in black. I don't know what the current state of affairs is -- I pretty much only see chrome rear diffusers on Model S in the wild these days.

Random observations:
- With the white interior, the seatbelts are also cream colored -- matching the original (light) alcantara cream coloring of the interior of the roof. Black, grey, and tan seats all have black seatbelts.
- kerfuffle about metal pedals (accelerator, brake, and dead) being chrome vs. non-chrome (my recollection is that it was chrome on sig and perf but some other vehicles got it as a random bonus/accident)
- kerfuffle about chrome inserts in the trunk area by the latch (originally chromed plastic, later matte black)
- might be worth noting explicitly all the physical (non-software) places where Founder and Signature vehicles are labelled

I have 2 small changes that happened. not sure when or if they are big enough changes to add to this list

Seats were changed at some point before the gen 1.5 option. Original seats sat a bit lower. I had a new passenger Performance seat put in a while back and it is higher than my drivers seat. Every car I have driven has had seats that sit higher than my 2012 seat.

rear attachment points for child seats? I swear I saw a D with loops poking out on the sides in the trunk area. The rear seats have the attachment points in my car

bezel around the dash was changed to be much narrower -around the time of the updated screen resolution or ionizer addition I think

I have 2 small changes that happened. not sure when or if they are big enough changes to add to this list

Seats were changed at some point before the gen 1.5 option. Original seats sat a bit lower. I had a new passenger Performance seat put in a while back and it is higher than my drivers seat. Every car I have driven has had seats that sit higher than my 2012 seat.

rear attachment points for child seats? I swear I saw a D with loops poking out on the sides in the trunk area. The rear seats have the attachment points in my car

bezel around the dash was changed to be much narrower -around the time of the updated screen resolution or ionizer addition I think

I wrote Tesla requesting cloth next gen seats and got a call back from them. The woman who called me said they had other requests for cloth next gen seats and there was a good chance they would offer them at some point. Considering the popularity of the seats, I could see them dropping the standard seat option and just offer next gen, one with cloth and one with leather. That would streamline their production too as they would have just one shape of seat to deal with.

I believe the loops on the side of the trunk area are for the rear facing third row seats. I drive an 85D with no third row seats and no attachment points in the trunk, but once had a P85+ loaner with those loops...it was those loops in the trunk that led me to discover the rear facing seats folded up under the trunk floor. When deployed, those seats attached to the metal loops on the side of the trunk.

Not sure since when, but center console is now standard in design studio.

I think that's very recent. I know it's been included in the Model X from the start I believe. That hurts the aftermarket console companies.

The center console is now pictured in the Design Studio as standard.

upload_2016-3-20_23-22-27.png

I believe the loops on the side of the trunk area are for the rear facing third row seats. I drive an 85D with no third row seats and no attachment points in the trunk, but once had a P85+ loaner with those loops...it was those loops in the trunk that led me to discover the rear facing seats folded up under the trunk floor. When deployed, those seats attached to the metal loops on the side of the trunk.
Correct!