Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Options/Pricing: Things I Liked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not on my screen...

ae319335-c306-c843.jpg

Researching this for the Model S dash?! :wink:

Ferrite - Interactive Liquid Sculpture by David Markus Kickstarter

:smile: I love me some kickstarter!

Yes.... there is a speaker in the lift gate. There is a wire mesh screen near the bottom of the rear glass which hides a member of the sound system. I did not take a picture but I asked and was told there was a speaker hidden behind the mesh.

That's pretty cool. Guess that helps with that "studio" sound that's been talked about, not to mention kids in the rear jump seats.

Just took a look again at Tesla's spec page and the battery range reference has been upped from 55 mph to 60 mph. There was some discussion awhile back about Tesla de-rating the range by lowering the benchmark to 55 mph; good to see the range for each battery pack is back to being rated at 60mph.
Wow. That's actually a big difference even through it's only 5 mph. You can conceivably drive 60mph in the right lane on a 65 mph highway in some areas but 55 mph would not work. Nice that they under promised at first. They must have final testing in place then to confirm the change.

Just took a look again at Tesla's spec page and the battery range reference has been upped from 55 mph to 60 mph. There was some discussion awhile back about Tesla de-rating the range by lowering the benchmark to 55 mph; good to see the range for each battery pack is back to being rated at 60mph.

Unfortunately on the Options and Pricing page it still says 55 mph. So I don't think you can bank on the 60 mph. There's a very real chance that Tesla's web page has an error.

I wonder if that page is out of date. While the Features page indeed references 60 mph, the Options & Pricing page references 55 mph.

Looking at the Model S options page again I noticed that they no longer talk about the number of gigabytes of music storage. Instead they refer to the standard sound system as having space for 500 songs and the sound studio package as having space for 3,000 songs. I still think that is kind of lame! Especially if you're going to have any video - which that 17" screen is begging for!

How much profit is Tesla making on the Performance version!? The only difference between Performance and Standard is a "high performance drive inverter," the upgraded cabling from 900A to 1200A and some carbon fiber accents sprinkled throughout the interior and exterior. The wheels are potentially a different color but they should remain the same price and the traction control is "sport-tuned' but that should just be a software thing. I would imagine it does not cost Tesla more than $3,000 for all these upgrades and they're charging $10,000. At least those people getting the upgrade will know that they're helping Tesla to stay in business for the long term.

Not uncommon. My buddy does "tunes" (or "chipping") for various cars. When he does the Porsche vehicles it's in the thousands for him to literally hook a cable up to a car and run a program. His dealer cost is something like $450, but the companies won't let you charge the customer any less than the MSRP.

I would imagine it does not cost Tesla more than $3,000 for all these upgrades and they're charging $10,000. At least those people getting the upgrade will know that they're helping Tesla to stay in business for the long term.
Well, the perf model is an $8,100 option after you subtract the required included upgrades. The difference between a BMW 335i and M3 is $15k (can't be bothered to figure out what the required included upgrades are there). Manufacturers guard their costs very tightly - we do at my company. Though our gross margin (publicly available in our SEC filings) is over 70%.

Not sure how much the upgraded PEM would cost but yes I'm sure it's less than $8,100 but Tesla is in business to make money. And margins typically go up on the higher-end products.

The performance version also has the extended leather like the sig cars, right?
  1. If you're referring to "Alcantara accents" that's included in Perf and Sig Perf. (Options & Pricing, Highlights)
  2. If you're referring to "Nappa perforated leather interior" that's only listed for Sig and -- oddly -- not Sig Perf. (Options & Pricing, Highlights)
  3. If you're referring to "Extensive leather throughout." that's "STANDARD" with Perf, Sig, and Sig Perf. (Options & Pricing, Interiors, Nappa Leather)
The 2nd I find troubling, but not much I can do about it other than bug a Tesla Rep for a clarification.

Yes, that is exactly what I've been told. Performance (both sig and non sig) have the alcantara on the edges because it's more "grippy" and you'll need that when the extra power is throwing you around. So no difference in the seats between the Sig Perf and Production Perf models.