Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some of us have no use for the 21" wheels and need the 19" wheels, due to the crappy roads we live on; I was planning to sell the 21" wheels and buy a set of 19" wheels in the aftermarket, but it's easier to just get the 19" wheels from Tesla. So, basically, some of the "options" are things which some people actively *dislike*, and I suspect Tesla is trying to keep the Signature owners happy by allowing them to get rid of those. Some people hate sunroofs, too. If the kiddie seats aren't removable, some people (me, even) may find that they detract from the cargo space.

Options which won't be considered "downgrades" by anyone are bound to be standard-and-unavoidable on the Signature, but remember that some options are... contentious.

I agree. If the Signatures have things like the pano or 21" wheels "built into the price", if we did not want them it would be great if we could get a different option in it's place (but I doubt it will happen). When I upgraded to Signature back in March, the Tesla rep simply said the options will be determined in 2012; Tesla seems to be serious about our feedback, so let's keep it coming. I personally think pano/sun roofs are a waste of money and reduces efficiency, but I can see how many people like the option - it's aesthetically pleasing. I just prefer to be in the shade when I'm driving, and I certainly can't enjoy the vertical view when I'm cruising down the highway! :)

Buttons ARE a simpler, more "user friendly" interface in some ways. But I'm not picky. Just as long as they don't waste the open space between seats on a pair of buttons. If there are buttons, they need to go on the dash.

My feeling is, Tesla should try and preserve a true driving experience where at all possible, and this includes the gear shifter. We're already sacrificing manual transmission and any sort of feedback while accelerating, lets not forgo the gear stick. Otherwise this car simply becomes a cool tech toy that happens to drive, rather than a car.

My feeling is, Tesla should try and preserve a true driving experience where at all possible, and this includes the gear shifter. We're already sacrificing manual transmission and any sort of feedback while accelerating, lets not forgo the gear stick. Otherwise this car simply becomes a cool tech toy that happens to drive, rather than a car.

I'm fine with a gear stick (though I prefer buttons), but I haven't had a steering column-mounted stick in ages. It feels antiquated to me. As for rowing gears and such, I'm not sure this car is all about the "pure driving experience" that driving enthusiasts would normally go for.

I'm fine with a gear stick (though I prefer buttons), but I haven't had a steering column-mounted stick in ages. It feels antiquated to me. As for rowing gears and such, I'm not sure this car is all about the "pure driving experience" that driving enthusiasts would normally go for.

I wouldn't like it if it were in the steering column either. I'd prefer it to be in the center console, though that's probably asking too much.

Just read this . . .
The Panoramic Roof is optional. The state-of-the-art infrared coating reduces solar energy transmittance to 21% and visible light transmittance to 7%. It does not come with a shade.

This is from Tesla's website :: Model S Facts | Tesla Motors

So currently Tesla is telling us there will be no shade to completely block the sun. Which to me means they had better do a really good job shading the 17" touchscreen from glare.

Just read this . . .

This is from Tesla's website :: Model S Facts | Tesla Motors

So currently Tesla is telling us there will be no shade to completely block the sun. Which to me means they had better do a really good job shading the 17" touchscreen from glare.

Ouch. Maybe it's optional? That could be a deal breaker for me. Sometimes I LIKE feeling closed in :tongue:

I think the request for a shade was something that got mentioned a bunch at the factory tour, and maybe they are rethinking that now.
The web site may show what they intended before they digest all the feedback from the factory guests.

I think the request for a shade was something that got mentioned a bunch at the factory tour, and maybe they are rethinking that now.
The web site may show what they intended before they digest all the feedback from the factory guests.

I don't remember seeing the shade mentioned before, and it's pretty specific wording. Leads me to believe they may have added it in response to questions. Though, of course that doesn't rule out them changing and adding one.

Another vote for ventilated seats. Also, for the Tesla engineers paying attention, a sun roof is great in really hot climates like south Florida so that you can crack open the roof to keep the heat from roasting the interior when you park in the sun. But when driving you absolutely need a shade that can optionally block the sun even if the transmission of light through the glass is low because depending on time of day the glare can still be significant. I have superb sunglasses that let in less than 10% of the light and they still allow plenty in on the kind of very bright days we frequently have down South. There are plenty of different types of shades that seem to work of various types of woven plastic or other materials and I'm sure guys clever enough to come up with all of the innovations seen so far can figure out a sensible shade....

Another vote for ventilated seats. Also, for the Tesla engineers paying attention, a sun roof is great in really hot climates like south Florida so that you can crack open the roof to keep the heat from roasting the interior when you park in the sun. But when driving you absolutely need a shade that can optionally block the sun even if the transmission of light through the glass is low because depending on time of day the glare can still be significant. I have superb sunglasses that let in less than 10% of the light and they still allow plenty in on the kind of very bright days we frequently have down South. There are plenty of different types of shades that seem to work of various types of woven plastic or other materials and I'm sure guys clever enough to come up with all of the innovations seen so far can figure out a sensible shade....

FYI, I asked a lot of questions about this after my ride when they had the guys in the lounge to answer questions. I had a very helpful Tesla employee (Daniel, maybe?) who explained that they're doing a lot of testing of the Betas in Death Valley, mostly to make sure the HVAC crew can ensure that the cabin stays temperate in extreme climates, but it also allows them to test how good the light refraction is on a very bright sun in the height of the sky. As a fellow South Floridian, I agree that this is a major issue for Sig owners if the panoramic roof is standard. He assured me that it would be a state of the art tint to help block the sun. He didn't mention a mesh screen, but that would certainly help do the trick as well.

+1 on the ventilated seats...I have them in my Lexus and they are the bomb!

The 2012 Mercedes have this feature; they call it the Magic Sky Control. However, they're having serious sourcing issues and have had to cancel and delay orders because they can't get that particular feature from the supplier or something.

Last edited:
The 2012 Mercedes have this feature; they call it the Magic Sky Control. However, they're having serious sourcing issues and have had to cancel and delay orders because they can't get that particular feature from the supplier or something.

I actually really liked this idea. I actually stayed in this hotel that had a glass door. First thing I thought was gross, but once you turn on the bathroom light the glass became opaque to the point where you couldn't even see shadows or anything in the bathroom. I'm guessing it's the same tech and would be really useful instead of having a sun shade.