Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S or Model X, need help!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum but stumbled upon it while aggressively pursuing a Tesla. I'm going to be placing an order by the end of day but the only problem is that I can't decide between the Model S 100D or Model X 100D. I was hoping some owners of either car could share some feedback with me in hopes that it'll help me make a decision.

For context, I currently drive a G63 AMG Mercedes but I'm selling it because I feel so disconnected from the road. While I do love being higher up while driving, I feel as if it makes the driving experience numb and you lose substantial handling. For that reason, I'm leaning towards the Model S.

The only thing that is stopping me from ordering the Model S right now is the fear of missing out on all of the features the Model X has. Motorized doors, panoramic windshield, and more seating for friends.

At the end of the day though, I'm 25 with no kids and just don't know if the Model X is worth it since I'd probably be sacrificing a little bit of the driving experience that I'm looking for with a car lower to the ground that has a bit more speed.

Any feedback would be appreciated! I've watched every YouTube video possible and have read every thread but would love to hear others thoughts if possible.

I would definitely recommen a Model S for you.

Don't worry about the features you are missing out on. While the motorized door is "cool" it's not a game changing feature. Same for the panoramic Windshield.

If you had a family, the X would be my choice but honestly you can't go wrong with the S! The car will feel more sporty and will be more fun to drive. It also has plenty of room for passageners and tuns of trunk space.

Honestly, you'll love it! To be fair, you'll probably love either one but go for the sportier car!

Hi Nade! Welcome to the Tesla family.
You should definitely go with an S.
And if you prefer the unobstructed panoramic view of the X, you can order the standard glass roof, instead of the sunroof.
Downside: you cannot open the roof. Clearly ;) (but neither could you on the X)

S drives a lot more sportier compared to the X. And has a TON of luggage space especially if you fold the back seats.

Best, Mick

Last edited:
Do you travel with a lot of people frequently? If not, probably stick with the Model S. If you take road trips with friends and family, the X is great.

Regarding handling, while the X is higher up like your Mercedes, it has a much lower center of gravity due to its large battery pack below the floor. I think it offers a great balance between driving position and handling.

BTW, if you have friends with younger kids who travel with you frequently, you can always (later) add the back facing two seater option for the S. So technically you could take four friends (one front, three in back, plus two kids in the 3rd row" with you on a trip).
About the motorized doors, sure that is cool, but I felt that for me was not a must at all. The self presenting handles is already pretty cool by itself.

BTW, if you have friends with younger kids who travel with you frequently, you can always (later) add the back facing two seater option for the S. So technically you could take four friends (one front, three in back, plus two kids in the 3rd row" with you on a trip).
About the motorized doors, sure that is cool, but I felt that for me was not a must at all. The self presenting handles is already pretty cool by itself.
Last I heard, they no longer install the 3rd row/back facing seats at the SC's since mid-2017. Cars must be ordered with those since I believe some harness points or extra components are strengthened in the process for safety purposes.

For the OP - sounds like the S is the way to go. Good luck and have fun driving.

• Informative
Reactions: msvoyager
You should REALLY try to swing down to a service center and test drive them both. Compared to a G63 you're going to have pluses and minuses... Unless you did this already and you're still not sure.

The S will literally anchor you to the ground and you'll be fairly low, and you'll damn well feel it too. The newer optioned S's don't leave much to be desired outside of an X, but technically the X is "fresher"... so there are a handful of quirks most have mentioned here already. I love my S, I don't think I could drive an X daily, at 29 with no kids in Socal as well.

Ask for a 24 hour test drive of both and see which one you enjoy most and go with that. Also if you don't have a referral pm me and I'll give you mine and even would be willing to give you the referral prize, but I bet you already know someone that owns a tesla and can get one from. Good luck but just go with whatever you fell more comfortable with and enjoy most.

I would definitely recommen a Model S for you.

Don't worry about the features you are missing out on. While the motorized door is "cool" it's not a game changing feature. Same for the panoramic Windshield.

If you had a family, the X would be my choice but honestly you can't go wrong with the S! The car will feel more sporty and will be more fun to drive. It also has plenty of room for passageners and tuns of trunk space.

Honestly, you'll love it! To be fair, you'll probably love either one but go for the sportier car!
Thanks you for the input, that's one conclusion I've come to... I can't go wrong with either. Thank you for confirming to me that you think the S would be more fun to drive. I know they both have low center of gravity because of the battery, but I really think the S will handle better without a doubt.

You should REALLY try to swing down to a service center and test drive them both. Compared to a G63 you're going to have pluses and minuses... Unless you did this already and you're still not sure.

The S will literally anchor you to the ground and you'll be fairly low, and you'll damn well feel it too. The newer optioned S's don't leave much to be desired outside of an X, but technically the X is "fresher"... so there are a handful of quirks most have mentioned here already. I love my S, I don't think I could drive an X daily, at 29 with no kids in Socal as well.
Have you driven the X before?

I had a 2014 Audi S6 with the twin turbo V8 and APR Stage 1 tune. I decided to go with the X even though I dont' have a family just because of the commanding view you get. Not only that the practicality of the storage I get is ridiculous. I much prefer the looks of the S but I didn't find that the X drove that much differently and I even took it to a Audi Club event recently. Neither the S or X drive like a normal sports car but they're both great choices.