Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S order "confirmed"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a cheaply built car. I've never had a bumper blow off before in rhe hundreds of thousands of miles of Mercedes & Volvo, nor any other car.

I had some headwinds in warm dry weather in Salinas Valley on 101.

IMG_1978.JPG

I'm thinking of another wilderness trip. I drive a Model S 60D (software limited 75 battery). Here's my data:

To: Destination Charger at Hotel at 1425 Kirkwood Meadows Dr, Markleeville‎ CA‎ 95646
Net elevation +7,770 feet (up 11,742, down 3,970 feet).
EVTripPlanner says 58kWh used, leaving me with basically 0. I don't think this is possible.
I would have to stay overnight to charge. I'm thinking I should stop along the way at some charger. One possibility on this leg is stopping over at 115 Valley View Way, Sutter Creek, CA, 95685 and getting a break, and adding a few kWh. One of the comments on the Kirkwood Plugshare says it's "easy for a Model S to make it to Kirkwood from Manteca SuperCharger". They probably drive an 85, but that's heartening nevertheless. Broken up using a Fast DC charger:
  1. Manteca SuperCharger - 3077 E Hammer Ln Stockton, CA 95212 (Nissan EVGO Chademo): net elevation -3 feet (up 33, down 36), 10.7kWh used. The Central Valley is flat.
  2. 3077 E Hammer Ln Stockton, CA 95212 - 1425 Kirkwood Meadows Dr, Markleeville, CA: net elevation +7,774 feet (up 11,673 feet, down 3,898 feet), 50.1kWh used. I'd have to drive slow. IS THIS REAL?

From: 1425 Kirkwood Meadows Dr, Markleeville‎ CA‎ 95646, United States
To: White Azalea Campground, Pioneer, Ca 95666
Net elevation -4,458 feet (up 2,198, down 6,657 feet).
EVTripPlanner says I will use a total of 1.5kWh. How would this reconcile with reality? I would end up in the bottom of a valley, about 4,000 feet from the top. So, I'd essentially arrive at the campground with the high point of charge. Vampire drains would be my only concern at that point. There are no places to plug in that I am aware of (despite it being a major PG&E hydroelectric dam), and with a full state of charge, it wouldn't matter (although if coming direct from Manteca SuperCharger, it would be great to charge up and go direct back from there skipping all other chargers).

To: Manteca SuperCharger
Net elevation -3,319 feet (up 5,272 feet, down 8,592 feet).
EVTripPlanner says 31.4kWh used. But, the first leg of the journey is up to 6,000 feet. Is this really possible? So I broke it up into two steps:
  1. White Azalea Campground - Lumberyard Campground: net elevation +3,129 feet (up 3,540, down 410), 9.9kWh used. IS THIS REAL?!?!
  2. Lumberyard Campground - Manteca SuperCharger: net elevation -6,435 feet (up 1,765, down 8,202), 21.7kWh used. That seems plausible.

This is a cheaply built car. I've never had a bumper blow off before in rhe hundreds of thousands of miles of Mercedes & Volvo, nor any other car.

I had some headwinds in warm dry weather in Salinas Valley on 101.

View attachment 215701
The official Tesla certified body shop (Gene’s Import Auto Body - Sand City, CA) was great. They did good work. It cost me only $150 for this. While there, they noticed some other unrelated missing pieces and tucked them in temporarily, but I'll have to come back and get those repaired soon, too (some rear plastic under-cover that's $500 and has a huge hole in it; I think the total job would be under $1,000).

Anybody in the area I highly recommend this body shop. Anyone in the area has no choice of certified shops in the area, though; there aren't any others in that area. So, this is more of a report that if you are in this area, you might not have to shop around at other body shops out of area as much as you thought. For major repairs, of course, I'd still go get alternate quotes and opinions. But it's nice to know I am not forced to go outside the area every time.

This explains why I kept running out of energy when I first got my Tesla. 57.5% vs. 66.4%. Los Angeles really is a better place to own a Tesla than Santa Cruz.

Screen Shot 2017-03-09 at 10.47.45 PM.png

It gets even worse for long distance drives, including my very first long distance drive:

Screen Shot 2017-03-09 at 10.50.38 PM.png
It explains a lot for why I had so much trouble the first weeks of ownership. It explains my first road trip running out of power and almost freezing to death.

But, in addition to all of this, I feel like there's a sort of break in period for the battery; it's just running better, lately. But, now looking at these charts, I'm suspicious that that is just because I'm driving in warmer weather.

Also, the electric blanket at my feet probably helps to keep me warmer, so I don't need to heat the cabin as much. When I finally go in and insulate that aluminum plate behind the pedals (I still need to find it), I'll probably save even more energy.

Today, I parked my car by the wilderness on a high use highway about 30 minutes away from cell coverage and urban areas, so that I could look at storm damage that had removed that highway. I heard a hissing from my car, so I inspected. Immediately I was afraid that something had gone wrong in my air suspension system, because I've had that happen a lot, in my Mercedes, but then I realized that I don't have air suspension, so then I decided the most probable place it was was in the tire, so I started the inspection there. Quickly, I found a nail with the hissing air coming out around it.

Unfortunately, I realized this put me in a predicament that I had to immediately take care of this before I got stranded far from everything without contact, which could become a multiday deadly camping and travel affair with huge costs.

Never hesitate.

I jumped into my car, hoping to use up enough of the air left in the tire to get as close to possible to the rest of the urban network as possible. I intentionally picked a non-heavy direction so that commute traffic would not be in my way, and went toward the bigger urban areas with more support, rather than the satellite areas with less support.

Almost 20 minutes later, my cell coverage started to come back on some of my devices, so I called Tesla Roadside Assistance (using bluetooth), and told them the situation. I used Plugshare to find the best charger destination I thought I was likely to reach and to give them the address in an urban area that has a lot of good service structure and not a huge amount of rush hour traffic problems for that area, and told them I should make it there. This way, I would have the best of all worlds, if everything worked out: quick destination, a simple address for both me and the tow truck to arrive at, and no muss or fuss, and I get to charge at the same time. That was the theory anyway. I would make the best of it as it unfolded, anyway.

I went all the way down to 25PSI, and was able to make it to that charger location, within about 40 minutes from my discovery. I was lucky because somehow during my winding driving the nail worked its way out of the hole (whether toward the road or back into the tire I don't know nor care). I don't know exactly how long that drive took; TeslaFi shows "data accuracy 29.4%", so I was out of coverage and/or the car computer wasn't working 70.6% of the way. Maps.Google.Com estimates 35 minutes drive without traffic, but I know the last 10 minutes had a lot of traffic due to heavy rush hour time, despite being off-peak direction.

Most of you who experience Tesla Roadside Assistance for a bad tire know how this works. The nice lady on the phone was helpful, proactive, and took care of everything. The experience was great. She arranged for a tow truck, called me back, made sure I made it to the address I gave her (which I had), told me the tentative plan with the company in question, had arranged they should pick up a Tesla spare tire and take it to me, swap it out, and take mine back to the service center, which would contact me for service within 3 days to have it fixed and re-swapped back onto my car.

I had to fiddle with the darn charger quite a bit because it kept throwing errors. Finally, it started charging.

I had just settled into some other logistics tasks in the car (various work and duties, even scheduled a convenient pickup on the way home for some products for an hour later), when the tow truck pulled up before I had even had the confirmation call about them coming. They went about their business. I had to fill out the contract in triplicate (carbon paper isn't something people carry anymore, and no wonder -- last time I bought some, it was $20 for a good pack). They were almost done when I had completed the paperwork. They hand-lugged and hand-torqued the spare wheel (which they told me are aluminum studs and the nuts get torqued to 130lbft), finished the paperwork, packed up my bad wheel and tire combo (the hub cap stays with the wheel) and left, and I still had a bit more time to charge left.

(I was about 60% charge when the discovery happened, 50% by the time I got to the charging station, and charged up to 85% while there, almost 30kWh but I did have the A/C running so that was some loss). I spent a total of 46 minutes at the charging location according to TeslaFi. That plus the 40 minute drive there and the drive back to the store where I was getting a pickup totaled about a little over 90 minutes, plus the drive to get back approximately where I was before another half hour, so about a two hour ordeal, but I made the best of it by having a good state of charge, picking up some stuff and doing some chores I needed to do anyway, and maximized my probability of success and least amount of hassle for me and the service personnel.

This reinforces I think my best lesson of this story, which l learned long ago: if I foresee a problem and think I have enough whatever (in this case leaking air still in my tire) to continue toward a better probabilistic outcome by going toward the direction of that outcome, to immediately set out in that direction and get as close to that as possible. In my case, I lucked out and got all the way to a safe and comfortable outcome. If I had instead spent time looking at my tire hissing away, I doubt I would have gotten home yet, and definitely not have been comfortable about it at all. It's another example of self-actualizing successful outcomes.

I wish I could go back to some other mistakes I've made in the past where I knew this was the right approach and tried to optimize in some way that failed. What I did above is plan for the best outcome from the second to worst case scenereo (that the tire would go down but not so quickly that I couldn't use it some). In other cases, someone might have a worst case scenereo (tire all the way down); I partially had that the first time my tire went out. In other cases in my life, I've had situations where I should have planned for worse outcomes and knew what path to take to optimize for that but wanted things to work out better, which it sometimes didn't, and I lost a lot as a result.

Cars are sometimes easier than life, so this has a sort of simple cathartic outcome of leisure about it compared to the goings on of more serious things (like employment, health, family, etc.). Anyway, I had a good tire outage today (if there is such a thing).

Not wanting to tempt fate, I skipped the observance of the highway outage, and instead resumed the rest of my original plan to take a leisurely drive through nature all the way on Summit Road from Highway 17 to Mt. Madonna Road, then followed the GPS operated mapping route software all the way home from there, and all worked very nicely. Certainly some of the roadway looking out over God's country took what seemed like forever, with operating speeds often from 1MPH - 10MPH, and no attention on anything but everything in the roadway. If I wanted to observe a greater input of nature, I had to plan it in between road ruts, often having to stop for the experience. TeslaFi tells me the whole trip took me 91 minutes, which it unsmartly split into 3 trips; the first trip was 41 minutes at 556Wh/mile at 35MPH avg; the next 25 mintues was 347Wh/mile at 12MPH avg; and the last 30 minutes was at 212Wh/mile at 37MPH avg. I'll just leave the trip unmerged, since I like that rather rough breakout anyway; I can merge it later if I want to (I think).

IMG_2602tmc.JPG

uc

uc

IMG_2609tmc.JPG

uc

IMG_2614tmc.JPG

IMG_2620tmc.JPG

p.s., for my reference later, I used this trick for Google Drive on TMC image embedment:
Code:
If you edit an uploaded picture, you'll see a URL in the form
https://docs.google.com/document/d/FILEID/edit
where FILEID is a very long sequence of characters. Edit this so it reads
http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=FILEID

Last edited:
Damnit. I had "Scheduled Charging" off for the weekend, and I forgot to turn it back on when I got home tonight (I didn't take it out Monday so forgot my regular Monday routine today). That meant I spent an extra $9 for no reason today. That would add up to $2,350/year or about $35,000 for the life of the car if I kept doing that. It's annoying me more and more that Tesla has not improved its charging scheduling software for the current state of affairs of the charging network. They've had 5 years to work on this horribly simple problem with literally thousands of people saying it's ridiculous they haven't fixed it yet, and yet, it's still a problem.

Does anybody have a hack that can work with this situation? Perhaps a timer for the 100 amp circuit, or some type of master for the slave control of the HPWC.

Just a reminder to anyone who cares:

I tried to optimize catching firmware updates by putting a wifi router right next to where the car parks. When I received the car, I had to specially configure the router to be dumber than most setups because the car's wifi is unsophisticated and can't handle normal setups. Having got all that done, the first 2 or 3 firmware updates my car did while I was sitting at SuperChargers connected to wifi tether on my cell phone, which obliterated my cell phone usage allowance each time but did rapidly offer me the update for the car. Finally, after a few times of that happening, my car started pulling it in at my house pretty regularly. One time, it started pulling portions of it at a Tesla guest wifi. But mostly it has used my home wifi and my cell phone tether.

It seems to trigger in batch sendings during evenings and nights; I have this theory that if your car isn't prone to receive it, they just skip your car in that batch and move on to others. I'm probably somewhat wrong.

I explain that in case anybody cares about catching a firmware upgrade faster and has the means to do what I did. Using the above techniques may catch firmware upgrades faster. It's hardly foolproof; my last firmware upgrade took a day or two extra despite me doing pretty much all of the above (whether intentionally or not). Pretty much having the car connect to the home wifi reliably is the easiest way for my car to stay pretty current. The fact I am in the top few percent of milage cars for my car's subtype category probably also makes it somewhat interesting to code path testers in the development department, so that probably is something, but that isn't something most people have any control over at all, so it's almost hardly worth mentioning.

Tesla said the selected service center to receive my wheel would contact me nominally within 3 days. Since they did not contact me within 2.5 business days, I decided to contact them instead. This is about the 10th time Tesla has said they will contact me that they did not (the other issues mostly surrounding purchase). From other posts on these forums, it seems Tesla is really good at not communicating the way they implied they would. Since I've had this problem in some businesses in which I was overworked, it reminds me of management error that they have policies in place to contact customers but don't follow through. Either their organizational skills are insufficient (they lose track of contacts, possibly because work flows are botched), or they have bad policies that imply and/or make commitments they never intend to keep.

Once I contacted them, it seemed to spur the situation forward. It seems like a workflow locking error like we'd see in multitasking kernel bugs.

Hopefully kmanauto posts his YouTube with a good description in a post here on TMC, but until then, here's a placeholder:

My guess is that this means occasionally one should charge to 100% to even the cells out. In fact, this fits with my theory that the car works better and charges faster at SuperChargers after not using it for a while, since maybe then the BMS has had a chance to balance everything, but then the pack gets unbalanced quickly. That points to a weak balancing platform. As wk057 pointed out, it's just some weak resisters bleeding current that seems to do it over a pretty long period of time. If a little more targeted charging was used, this process might happen faster and keep the pack more balanced.

That doesn't solve the individual cells issue; they would need to be isolated one by one by some sort of spider crawling around the pack during idle periods. It could dissipate some overcharging and use a little cell of its own to raise undercharged cells.

Last edited:
I'm at 3 months and 14,277 miles, and starting to get comfortable with how my car works. I always love that feeling.

I swear the warmer weather is making that easier: my battery works better, further in the warmer weather. Maybe I broke it in. Experience helps, plus the foot electric blanket (kept out of way of pedals). I've memorized how to use it and the brain pathways are formed up enough to use it right.

My mileage is typical for me. I did around 50K/year in my last car pretty consistently.

All my posts about my car are still consistent with my experiences in retrospect, but their path of discovery has finally led me to my comfort zone.

It's still true that my back hurts after prolonged sitting. I still try to find life patterns that reduce sitting, and my mileage is no exception. But this is the "usual" for me, my starting typical use status, so I work on that from here. If I can get down to 40K/year I'll be satisfied, and 35K/year a win. If I end up at 50K/year but more standing in other areas of my life with a good back, that would be great too.

Last edited:
Did my first annual service for my all-wheel drive Model S. Here's what the invoice said they did:

Screen Shot 2017-04-06 at 9.40.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-06 at 9.42.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-06 at 9.42.38 PM.png

My corrections:
  • My car does not have air suspension. I don't know why the invoice said it does.
  • The firmware was already at 17.11.3. But, while it was at the service center, it sent me a message to my iPhone Tesla app that a new firmware was ready. After I got it back and was re-loading it with my things at my storage unit, I told it to immediately update, and it said I now have 17.11.10.
  • The invoice does not mention changing the bioweapon cabin air filter, but when I first turned on the cabin air and put on bioweapon defense mode, I noticed that it smelled different. I should contact them tomorrow and ask if they did it without putting it on the invoice.
It took them from 9AM to 5:15PM to not quite finish it: they had just finished washing it, and said it would take 20 minutes to dry. I took it then anyway without them drying it. I think by dry they meant wipe with microfiber, but I don't know. They do not take cash: I tried. I had to use card.

I'm glad to have it done. Once I confirm cabin air filter smelled different because it's new rather than some other issue, I'll be ok!

The loaner they gave me was an old red AP0 P85. That thing was very fast. It had an extreme sporty feel to it coming off the line that my car has never had and none of the other loaners ever had. I had an abundance of confidence with it that I have never had in any other loaner. It was an entirely whole new feel. Is that what the P100DL drivers feel?

Last edited:
I ceramic coated my car at AJ's Auto Detail at 702 W Coleman Ave & Taylor St in San Jose for $100, and I have been very pleased with the results. I wish I did this when I first got the car. They say it lasts 6-12 months each application. It didn't add any time to their normal timeline (in fact, I think AJ's spends less time on cars than they used to a few years ago).

When will body shops offer Tesla loaners? Today, I dropped off my Tesla Model S at a body shop to replace the rear undercover, and to do it, I picked up a rental from the local airport. The car I got is disgusting:
  1. It is very top heavy in the front, where the engine is.
  2. It is very slow.
  3. It is very loud.
  4. It stinks, giving me a headache. I have to open the window a crack, run the heater, and make sure the noise isn't too much. It is a royal pain.
  5. The handling is quite poor.
Granted, it is a Dodge, but if it were a Mercedes E or S class instead, it wouldn't have most of those problems as badly (they put a lot into reducing those problems), but for now, I am absolutely disgusted by having an ICE rental.

While I'm still a Tesla owner, it seems that I shouldn't have to put up with ICE rentals while my car is at a body shop. Is this some sort of punishment?

Range:

Today, I made it from home with 100% charge in Monterey Bay in my late 2016 (refresh style) 60D to work in South San Jose with 72% state of charge, losing only 2% parked in the sun with cabin overheat protection turned on (it works great, by the way), then from work to the doctor in San Francisco, then all the way back to San Mateo SuperCharger, with 2% state of charge to spare! I was able to use the HEPA Bioweapon mode almost the whole way.

Luckily, I didn't have to wait at any SuperChargers at all today. I went shopping at the San Mateo SuperCharger, and came back with 76% charge, and left right away. I also decided to top off at Gilroy, gaining both a nap and 100% charge. Then, just in case I pick my car up from the body shop with a long day ahead of me, I decided to top up at Seaside SuperCharger to a 100% charge, before I played Tetris with the car and the rental, moving everything back and forth until I had the cars swapped. Around town (picking up the rental, bringing the Tesla to the body shop) ended up using 9% state of charge, so it's sitting at the body shop with 91% state of charge. That's decent.

I've been without my Tesla for two days. I finally got it back. I had this beast Dodge Challenger from Enterprise Rent a Car. I need to swap my cars. But I have to go to the store before I do that. Guess which one I'll use, even though it's inconvenient because I don't even have my stuff in it?

Wow, a little Genesis G80 3.6 (DuckDuckGo claims I'm wrong and only has a 3.8) sharing our highway is just flying around a Dodge Challenger and my Tesla Model S 75D. I'm not trying to beat anybody, but it's clear the Genesis is superior up hills to our traditional Dodge/Tesla brands.

The Genesis guy had his wife in the passenger seat and didn't seem terribly pressed, and back down the hill I noted it ended up way in front because apparently that's where that car belongs. I was in the middle just minding my own business. The Dodge Challenger took up far behind because it just wasn't up to the task.

Last edited: