Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Order & Delivery Tracker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What at annoys me is that they're not being honest about the production estimates- if they want to build the high end cars first, fine, that's they're right as a company. But don't give the exact same delivery estimates off the bat and then change them. I'm turning in a car this week on the basis of the original build estimate (which I was told by tesla employees would be very close to reality), and it will be inconveniencing me to be without it.

There is a reason it's called an estimate. It's subject to change. On the order tracking page it has a disclaimer telling you as much. We're all very used to places like Amazon boxing stuff up and shipping it to us next day. That works because a great deal of effort has been expended around warehousing what we are expected to want and then shipping it the same day we order it. You're never going to reach the same standard with bespoke products. Tesla is going to move orders around so as to hit the optimal setup for them. Whoever at Tesla told you that the order estimate was accurate shouldn't have told you that. But unfortunately, it's not unusual for Tesla employees to be wrong. What they should have told you is that it was the best estimate and that things are always subject to change. Don't plan your life around the estimate.

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem right - my 90D ordered July 24th went from estimated delivery late September to October-early November :crying:. As of now, my car still hasn't entered production yet. Very sad!

Comparing the time frames for US orders to Switzerland orders isn't going to help you very much. Tesla does not build orders in a first in first out fashion. It wouldn't make sense, even for US orders. Locations with fewer cars being shipped are always going to have slower delivery time frames because of the logistics of moving the car. Cars do not move on a truck carrying a single car. They move on a train or boats with who knows how many cars or a truck with around 7 cars. They are going to maximize the utilization of these loads. Let's say they move a car to Tillburg and finish assembly on it, they are not going to put one car on a truck to go to Switzerland. They're going to fill that truck. So when there is a full truck going to wherever you're taking delivery then your car will be on it. Same goes for vehicles in the US going from the factory or rail yards.

This also means that high volume sales areas are going to see a lot less waiting because they can keep filling up the trucks and keep delivering vehicles. It isn't fair, but it is actually the most efficient way to process cars. The alternative is a much higher delivery cost.

The issue is that the shipping part of the process is silliness. The damn car is on a train (and untraceable) for weeks.

Not always true. When I got a Ford Energi, I was able to get the train car mine was on and use the RR's web site to track it from Hermosillo Mexico, all the way to San Antonio. So I knew it was here before the dealership.

So... if you can get what car it is on, you can track it as it passes depots and updates online.

I would GUESS that Telsa knows exactly what's been ordered and how close to production they are, and would want to optimize build rate such that similar parts are going in and paint colors are done in groups. I could see less popular colors wait to get a bunch up. If they could predict things better, thay'd stop making cars and go to Vegas. I would imagine that's why cars get pushed out is enough people ordered just the right car to bump a group forward in line.

With my car it got bumped twice as they first had a delay on part and then another (sunroof was one).

Last edited:
Estimated Delivery: Late September... Today got pushed to "September - Early October" :cursing:

Any one else in the low 100k VINs (mine is 100,554) getting estimated delivery dates pushed?

Yes, the same exact thing happened to my 70D this past weekend, VIN #999xx. It was "September", and now says "September-October", even though it has been "In Production" for about a week now. And, my DOS emailed me today to "Just to let you know, your Model S is currently in the paint process of production!"
I'm soooo confused. :crying: I also wonder how much of it has to do with coordinating shipments of cars to the same state? Maybe there aren't enough orders in south Florida right now, but I find that hard to believe.

Yes, the same exact thing happened to my 70D this past weekend, VIN #999xx. It was "September", and now says "September-October", even though it has been "In Production" for about a week now. And, my DOS emailed me today to "Just to let you know, your Model S is currently in the paint process of production!"
I'm soooo confused. :crying: I also wonder how much of it has to do with coordinating shipments of cars to the same state? Maybe there aren't enough orders in south Florida right now, but I find that hard to believe.

Paint is a significant road block for their production right now. I'm not sure where they are with the new paint shop they were installing, I'd guess it's almost done but until that goes in they have limited capacity. We've seen cars sitting waiting for paint for the past 9 months or so.

Our patience is definitely being tested. I keep telling myself patience is a virtue, but it’s not helping. What’s worrisome is that previous posts throughout this thread have S’s getting through production in a week (for June/July orders). @keydiver, when was your order confirmed/VIN generated?

Are any of the production delays related to the Fremont factory losing power from the crane incident last week? Not sure if it’s just coincidence or if it is directly related, but it seems that a lot of us that ordered in the late July/early August time frame is experiencing our delivery dates getting pushed back. The part that irks me is that the Tesla order page is showing “Late September” for all new orders (as of this writing) except for the non-D 70 which is shown as “Late October”. I know, it’s all an estimate…

Paint is a significant road block for their production right now. I'm not sure where they are with the new paint shop they were installing, I'd guess it's almost done but until that goes in they have limited capacity. We've seen cars sitting waiting for paint for the past 9 months or so.
Latest update was they plan to start painting Model X bodies there this month but won't be transitioning Model S until they are confident it won't cause further production delays.

Well, my 70D updated to "September 7, 2015 - September 21, 2015" today, so maybe it made it past the paint hurdle! Originally I was told mid-September, so now it seems its back on track. I'm sure that a good bit of that time will be the long train ride to Florida.
The next day it has now changed to"Production Complete. Your Model S is in transit from the factory." :biggrin:

Last edited:
I'm seeing something similar, in terms of the status going into production but then the estimated delivery jumping from "Late August - September" to "September - Early October." Heard "it's being painted" from my DS as well.

It's actually great to hear someone else just experienced this too, and then their production still completed.

I can't imagine what powers their supply chain, manufacturing line, or logistics, let alone what business logic they use to try to translate that into an estimate in this webapp of theirs, but right now I'm guessing the system is simpler than we think, not terribly accurate and errs on the side of being conservative... Well, you could also call it what I'm hoping for. :smile:

Mys S90D #102758 currently says "Late August - September." My DS said though that it would be Late September-October. Given that mine is still in the production queue and hasn't actually entered production yet, I tend to believe the DS. I don't know how they calculate the web site delivery prediction but something tells me it's only updated when the production status of the car changes.

VIN 100600
70D -- production complete, in transit!
Ordered 7/31
Confirmed 8/7
Production started 8/24
Production complete 8/28

Predicted delivery September 28-October 12.
Amazed and dismayed that they allow for 4-6 weeks to ship the car to the Boston area! Maybe they should subcontract shipping to Amazon...!