Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Order Process...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are the actual steps one goes through when ordering Model S?

I have a pretty good idea from reading related threads here on the forum, but it would be nice to have it all laid out in a concise summary.

1) Place Order Deposit/Reservation on teslamotors.com - Put down refundable deposit ($2500 for Model S, $5000 for Model X)
2) Confirmation E-mail - Commitment to purchase the vehicle and source parts for production. Automatically accepted if not manually confirmed within two weeks of placing an order, deposit becomes non-refundable at this point
3) Finalize Order Notification - Final acceptance of pricing, vehicle configuration (not sure how this step differs from #2)
4) Delivery - Self-explaintory

If I've missed any part of the process or have anything wrong, please correct me.

What are the actual steps one goes through when ordering Model S?

I have a pretty good idea from reading related threads here on the forum, but it would be nice to have it all laid out in a concise summary.

1) Place Order Deposit/Reservation on teslamotors.com - Put down refundable deposit ($2500 for Model S, $5000 for Model X)
2) Confirmation E-mail - Commitment to purchase the vehicle and source parts for production. Automatically accepted if not manually confirmed within two weeks of placing an order, deposit becomes non-refundable at this point
3) Finalize Order Notification - Final acceptance of pricing, vehicle configuration (not sure how this step differs from #2)
4) Delivery - Self-explaintory

If I've missed any part of the process or have anything wrong, please correct me.

In theory you have the major pieces. But there will be other emails, calls, DS scheduling, surprise call your call is ready, get your financing in place (or trade), payment paperwork back and forth via FedEx, registering and paying taxes and other misc things that happen along the way (to some and not others).

In theory you have the major pieces. But there will be other emails, calls, DS scheduling, surprise call your call is ready, get your financing in place (or trade), payment paperwork back and forth via FedEx, registering and paying taxes and other misc things that happen along the way (to some and not others).

There are some extra steps in Texas that others don't have to deal with I believe though but the major points are correct.

Just to add, not sure if this is EU only, but there is a special circumstances section about the refund of the deposit in the vehicle procurement agreement that does return your deposit if you are denied financing even though you did your best to acquire it.

Special Circumstances. This Agreement is subject to the two “Status of Your Deposit” paragraphs immediately above, however, if you have indicated in your order that you intend to finance the Vehicle, and are not able to obtain financing from us or another bank lender despite a bona fide, good faith effort to do so, you may cancel this contract and receive a full refund of your deposit amount. If this Agreement is concluded as a distance contract, you have a right to withdraw from this Agreement within seven working days of delivery of the Vehicle. The cancellation provisions herein do not affect your statutory rights, if any, with respect to revocation under applicable consumer law and shall not be interpreted as limiting your statutory rights under such laws.

I haven't made it through the entire process yet, but here's what I've gleaned so far:

1) Decide to purchase
2) Place order via website (either in a sales center or at home)
3) Fiddle with the options in the order obsessively
4) Finalise order (either by waiting two weeks or pressing the Confirm button -- website will read "sourcing parts" here)
5) Arrange financing (via website with Tesla's affiliates, or privately -- private financing will be "pre-approval" at this stage)
6) Receive VIN from DS, along with more-specific delivery date
7) Finalise financing with VIN in hand
8) Receive HPWC (if ordered) and have it installed
9) Receive updated delivery date from DS (if fortunate)
10) Delivery

Is this about right? If so, I'm waiting on step 6 at this point.

I haven't made it through the entire process yet, but here's what I've gleaned so far:

1) Decide to purchase
2) Place order via website (either in a sales center or at home)
3) Fiddle with the options in the order obsessively
4) Finalise order (either by waiting two weeks or pressing the Confirm button -- website will read "sourcing parts" here)
5) Arrange financing (via website with Tesla's affiliates, or privately -- private financing will be "pre-approval" at this stage)
6) Receive VIN from DS, along with more-specific delivery date
7) Finalise financing with VIN in hand
8) Receive HPWC (if ordered) and have it installed
9) Receive updated delivery date from DS (if fortunate)
10) Delivery

Is this about right? If so, I'm waiting on step 6 at this point.

I would also add "update auto insurance" after step 6.
S85 | Black | Black Roof | Std Interior | 19" | Dual Chargers + HPWC | Tech | Smart Air Suspension | Sub Zero
Reserved: 9/15, Confirmed 9/24, Estimated Delivery: "November"