Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Outdoor Car Cover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

GasKilla

No Gas Know Peace
Nov 11, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
What brand of cover are you using? The Tesla branded outdoor car cover is sold out and I'd really like to find a quality outdoor cover for my MS before it's delivered in December. I've searched a bit on the internet but nothing I've found says it is specifically made for the Model S, any help would be awesome. Thanks.

Last edited:
I do not use a cover on my MS, however, I've had great luck in the past with custom covers from Covercraft -- both for outside use, and indoor dust protection. I just checked, and they make covers for MS in varying types of material depending upon your needs. I can't tell from their description how they handle the charging port, so you may want to check with them before you go too far (I'd prefer a Velcro flap so I could charge while the cover is in place.)

FYI, Covercraft makes a number of OEM brand covers -- IDK if that's true for Tesla or not. Take a look at Covercraft's website, and then if you find something you like, shop around for the best price. You'll find a number of Internet Auto sites that will drop ship a custom cover from them -- generally with better pricing, free shipping, and/or they throw in a bag to hold the cover when it's not on.

I do not use a cover on my MS, however, I've had great luck in the past with custom covers from Covercraft -- both for outside use, and indoor dust protection. I just checked, and they make covers for MS in varying types of material depending upon your needs. I can't tell from their description how they handle the charging port, so you may want to check with them before you go too far (I'd prefer a Velcro flap so I could charge while the cover is in place.)

FYI, Covercraft makes a number of OEM brand covers -- IDK if that's true for Tesla or not. Take a look at Covercraft's website, and then if you find something you like, shop around for the best price. You'll find a number of Internet Auto sites that will drop ship a custom cover from them -- generally with better pricing, free shipping, and/or they throw in a bag to hold the cover when it's not on.

Thanks for the info, I was on their website but like you couldn't tell how they handle the charge port. Hopefully someone who owns one will provide some insight.

What brand of cover are you using? The Tesla branded outdoor car cover is sold out and I'd really like to find a quality outdoor cover for my S before it's delivered in December. I've searched a bit on the internet but nothing I've found says it is specifically made for the model S, any help would be awesome. Thanks.

I'd urge you to wait for the Tesla cover until it's available again. I've had most brands at at one time or another and the Tesla is vasty superior in every respect.

I exchanged emails with a rep from California Car Cover about my upcoming Model S delivery. I've purchased their Plushweave for all of my other cars (collector sports cars), so I wanted to be sure that their cover for the Model S includes the proper cutouts for charging and venting. I sent the Cal Car Cover rep the link to the car cover from the Tesla Store and asked him straight up about the cutouts. He sent me photos of their Model S car cover on a Model S, and the photos showed the same cutout for the charger and just slightly smaller cutouts for the front grill and wheel venting - close enough for me, so I ordered one for my "soon to be delivered" Model S.

I really like their Plushweave, since it is very soft on the inside (where it touches the paint), and the outside is slightly water repellent (not resistant). This cover is pretty thick, so it will provide some protection if I bump it with a tool. I primarily use the Plushweave indoors, however I have used it occasionally for overnight outdoor use when away for a weekend or so.

Hope this helps,
Randy...

I exchanged emails with a rep from California Car Cover about my upcoming Model S delivery. I've purchased their Plushweave for all of my other cars (collector sports cars), so I wanted to be sure that their cover for the Model S includes the proper cutouts for charging and venting. I sent the Cal Car Cover rep the link to the car cover from the Tesla Store and asked him straight up about the cutouts. He sent me photos of their Model S car cover on a Model S, and the photos showed the same cutout for the charger and just slightly smaller cutouts for the front grill and wheel venting - close enough for me, so I ordered one for my "soon to be delivered" Model S.

I really like their Plushweave, since it is very soft on the inside (where it touches the paint), and the outside is slightly water repellent (not resistant). This cover is pretty thick, so it will provide some protection if I bump it with a tool. I primarily use the Plushweave indoors, however I have used it occasionally for overnight outdoor use when away for a weekend or so.

Hope this helps,
Randy...

Very helpful. Any recommendations for which version of the California car cover would be suitable for outdoor use in the rain?

Very helpful. Any recommendations for which version of the California car cover would be suitable for outdoor use in the rain?

I personally used a "Noah" Covercraft cover outside with good results years ago on a previous vehicle... Multi-layer, never had an issue with humidity or dampness against the finish after it had rained, I was able to wash it a few times without damaging it, etc. From their comparison chart, it appears Covercraft also has a newer tech version depending on your needs that I don't have experience with. I don't know how the Tesla version is constructed, but I'd certainly take a look at it and try to understand more about it than the Tesla Shop description provides before making any decision. Good luck with yours!

How long have you had your Tesla cover? Is it holding up well?

I bought it before the car was delivered, so about 2 1/2 years. It's still like new. It's waterproof (to the extent a cover can be), plush on the inside, fits very firmly, does not need tie downs to keep it on the car in high winds, has a flap to keep the charge port accessible, vents in all the right places, and has the Tesla logo on the front and TESLA on the rear.

It is by far the best cover I've ever had. I had Covercraft and other brands. Believe me this is far and away superior. It's a bit bulky, but when properly rolled up stores quite well in the trunk in the small storage space under the trunk rear floor, along with my Chademo charger and several devices.

I bought it before the car was delivered, so about 2 1/2 years. It's still like new. It's waterproof (to the extent a cover can be), plush on the inside, fits very firmly, does not need tie downs to keep it on the car in high winds, has a flap to keep the charge port accessible, vents in all the right places, and has the Tesla logo on the front and TESLA on the rear.

It is by far the best cover I've ever had. I had Covercraft and other brands. Believe me this is far and away superior. It's a bit bulky, but when properly rolled up stores quite well in the trunk in the small storage space under the trunk rear floor, along with my Chademo charger and several devices.

I will have to leave my car outdoors for maybe a year before we will have a garage for it, so I was considering the Tesla cover. Auto detailers here have told me not to use a cover because it will pick up dirt and scratch the paint if put on at any time except immediately after washing the car.
They also cite the problem of putting away a cover that is wet with dew.

What say you?

I will have to leave my car outdoors for maybe a year before we will have a garage for it, so I was considering the Tesla cover. Auto detailers here have told me not to use a cover because it will pick up dirt and scratch the paint if put on at any time except immediately after washing the car.

What say you?

I wouldn't use one on this very basis, however for my "toy" car I've bought one of these:

Outdoor Carcoon

Completely impractical for a daily drive, but the next best thing to a garage, and in some ways superior as you get filtered airflow. I'm doing major demolition / reconstruction works atm, so this is a stop gap, however I might keep it and use it inside my new garage when done.

What say you?

I say that detailers are the Temple of Doom on these kinds of things. Take their advice with a grain of salt. You certainly should not put a cover on a dirty car. I use a California Duster if my car hasn't been just washed. Detailers, of course, abhor dusters, but I've used them with great success. One just has to use them with great care -- it's a duster not a dirt removal tool.

A wet cover is a problem. I pack the cover away if there's no other choice but at first opportunity spread it out to dry on a clean surface.