Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Outdoor car cover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
Does anyone have experience with using Tesla's outdoor car cover? I do not have a garage, will be parked outside for most of the time. Can the cover cause scratches etc? Any other cover recommendations? Ease of use is a priority considering i have to cover/uncover every day.

you will not want to cover it everyday.
the car needs to be very clean to use a cover so in theory you will need to wash your car everyday to avoid scratches

my car has been parked outside for 42 months..near lots of spruce, redwood and fir trees. rubber seals are really the only parts that should be protected from the sun, paint and clear coats look new still

I have a cover and used it exactly once. ~42 months ago

Reactions: Chaitu
It is a good idea but just seems like a pain. What do you do when it is raining? or if the cover gets covered in leaves or dirtiness, how do you make sure that none of it gets into the underside of the cover when storing/removing the cover from a bag?
maybe someone has answers to this but I couldn't think of an easy solution

I would think investing in a clear wrap would be better although a bit expensive but it will help in all situations not just when parked

Bumping this thread...

I am going to take delivery in a few weeks, and have a a driveway with no garage (at home). During some part of the spring / early summer (like now) I get honeydew on my car from tree's above. It washes off fine, though I was thinking of using the car cover to deal with this, anyone have (recent) experience with the outdoor car cover from Tesla. Any tips, advice?

Daily car cover use is a complete pain outdoors. I tried using a cover previously. Wouldn't recommend it.

The car and the cover need to be clean. If not, you can damage your paint.

If it's windy, it becomes a 2 person job.

Securing it isn't always easy -some have ties,some drawstring,some secure into trunk. Not sure about the Tesla one. Good luck

I have a cover. Like others I always wash my car before putting it on. I tend to use it when the car is sitting outside in the sun for extended periods of time. I do this as I want to protect the paint and finish on the wheels when ever possible. Happy with the purchase and would purchase one again. Fits in the frunk ( Front Trunk) when I am not using it.;)

I don’t have a garage and we have two Model S’s and an original Roadster. We have one OEM Model S outdoor cover and a custom Roadster cover. Roadster is covered most of the time since it’s not driven much. That’s easy to maintain. On a side note, I have to remove the Roadster cover mostly because guests have never seen one and want to check it out.

With our two Model S’s, only one is driven regularly. We leave that uncovered but under a carport.

The second Model S is covered most of the time, but as mentioned above, it needs to be clean before the cover goes on. The OEM cover is excellent. Snug fit, good protection. I’d even use it indoors since the fit is so good it’d keep a lot of dust out. It’s not that hard to put on once you get the hang of it. I can easily put on by myself and it’s very secure. It is easier and faster with two people, but quite doable nonetheless with one.

If you plan to try to use daily, wash regularly (I think once a week is recommended by detailers) and maybe keep some quick detailing spray in your car for a quick wipe down before putting the cover on.

I don’t have a garage and we have two Model S’s and an original Roadster. We have one OEM Model S outdoor cover and a custom Roadster cover. Roadster is covered most of the time since it’s not driven much. That’s easy to maintain. On a side note, I have to remove the Roadster cover mostly because guests have never seen one and want to check it out.

With our two Model S’s, only one is driven regularly. We leave that uncovered but under a carport.

The second Model S is covered most of the time, but as mentioned above, it needs to be clean before the cover goes on. The OEM cover is excellent. Snug fit, good protection. I’d even use it indoors since the fit is so good it’d keep a lot of dust out. It’s not that hard to put on once you get the hang of it. I can easily put on by myself and it’s very secure. It is easier and faster with two people, but quite doable nonetheless with one.

If you plan to try to use daily, wash regularly (I think once a week is recommended by detailers) and maybe keep some quick detailing spray in your car for a quick wipe down before putting the cover on.
]

Great insight, thanks! I will probably use it daily for maybe a 4 week period (unless I cut my neighbor's tree down). Then I would probably just use it when I am not around for a while. I'll buy the OEM cover.

I’ve had many car covers but the Tesla cover is by far the best. Has some kind of flocking on the inside to pretect the paint and fits so well that it won’t blow off in high winds. That being said I only use it when I’m going to be away for several days and only after the car is washed. I have clear paint protection film so I’m not the least bit concerned about scratching the paint — with the film it can’t be done.