Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Overall Thermal Management

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all, long time lurker, however thought Id chime in on this one, I spotted this image from another forum post, it does seem to concur with what has been said here about running the cooling loops in either parallel or series arrangement:
TOUXlWM.jpg

Hello all and one btw... :)

Thanks for contributing that pic, Lensman... yours shows the system in series mode with the entire loop red, whereas the pic I posted in the first post has the system in parallel with the drivetrain loop red, but the battery loop green.

Also, several temps that are displayed in one pic aren't in the other.

Interesting...

So am I reading these pictures right? There doesn't appear to be a Cabin specific resistive heater shown here. Just a heat exchanger link to the battery and/or drive unit coolant line which can be heated by some combination of the Drive unit operating, battery discharging, and/or active use of the battery heater by the system. But since a cabin specific heater wouldn't have to be linked to any of the "liquid" systems shown here and could just be as simple as a toaster and just heat the air directly I suppose it may not make sense in this particular diagnostic view.

• Informative
Reactions: Snowstorm
So am I reading these pictures right? There doesn't appear to be a Cabin specific resistive heater shown here. Just a heat exchanger link to the battery and/or drive unit coolant line which can be heated by some combination of the Drive unit operating, battery discharging, and/or active use of the battery heater by the system. But since a cabin specific heater wouldn't have to be linked to any of the "liquid" systems shown here and could just be as simple as a toaster and just heat the air directly I suppose it may not make sense in this particular diagnostic view.

Yes it looks like the cabin heater is just a "toaster", its called a Air PTC in the picture and Air PTC is just that, a heater element.

Something like this, but a 400V / 6000W version: http://www.ptc-heater.com.tw/PTC_heaterFan_eng.htm

Yes it looks like the cabin heater is just a "toaster", its called a Air PTC in the picture and Air PTC is just that, a heater element.

Something like this, but a 400V / 6000W version: http://www.ptc-heater.com.tw/PTC_heaterFan_eng.htm

That's my understanding as well. It also meshes with my experience when the car was new... you could smell the oils etc.. cooking off the restive elements when the heater was used for the very first time... much like if you get a new space heater, etc...

Hi guys,
I am quite new to this forum and have been looking for some detailed information about where all the thermal sensors around the drivetrain are attached. I couldn't find anything more related to it. Could you please link me if this has already been written somewhere?
Thanks in advance

Thank you for your answer.
They told me that the sensor is located in the stator and that there is only one per motor.
Sadly that doesn't really help much, because it's not very specific and I got several data for motor temperatures that imply that there are more than 2 motor temperatures (one per motor) which are sent via the CAN BUS and I can't identify which belong to where. Respectively which are supposed to be the "correct" ones from the single temperature sensor in the motor.

Thank you for your answer.
They told me that the sensor is located in the stator and that there is only one per motor.
Sadly that doesn't really help much, because it's not very specific and I got several data for motor temperatures that imply that there are more than 2 motor temperatures (one per motor) which are sent via the CAN BUS and I can't identify which belong to where. Respectively which are supposed to be the "correct" ones from the single temperature sensor in the motor.

Hi there,

Slave (front) Drive Unit is on message ID (decimal) 773
Mater (rear) Drive Unit is on message ID (decimal) 774

There are multiple temperature values in each of those: DC Capacitor, Heatsink, coolant inlet, inverter, circuit board, stator.

Hope this helps ;)